Thread: MRV from another Tivo over WAN

35 MRV from another Tivo over WAN

Hi. Thanks to all of the info here, I have 2 hacked series 2 dtivos at home. I have another SA tivo I use at my camp. is there any way to Use MRV to transfer recorded shows over the internet to another networked tivo?

I would think a properly configured VPN could do it if the correct packets were forwarded over the link.

I assume the TiVo's discover each other through some type of broadcast?

no static IP

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    I would think a properly configured VPN could do it if the correct packets were forwarded over the link.

I assume the TiVo's discover each other through some type of broadcast?
    Is that at all possible without a static IP on either end??

With the use of a service like DynDNS.org, then it is technically possible.

What version are your Series 2 DirecTiVos running?

ANy tricks??

Quote Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
    With the use of a service like DynDNS.org, then it is technically possible.

What version are your Series 2 DirecTiVos running?

I use DynDNS now to TivoWeb. I am not all that familiar with all of that though. I basically followed directions to get that set up.

BTW. I haven't hacked the SA tivo. The only settings on the factory setup I can use just ask for an IP Address.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdeshazo View Post
    Hi. Thanks to all of the info here, I have 2 hacked series 2 dtivos at home. I have another SA tivo I use at my camp. is there any way to Use MRV to transfer recorded shows over the internet to another networked tivo?
    I believe you will find your network speed to be an issue. Depending on your ISP plan, your upload speed is probably woefully slow for this type of application. Now, if you start the MRV before you leave the camp to hunt or fish , when you get back it may be finished. But to watch while it tranfers, like over your LAN, won't happen, IMHO.
    9 - HDVR2's - 300 gig , networked, Zippered & Tweaked
    2 - Phillips HDR312 - CCTV DVR, 300 gig, networked
    TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, etc.

I use DynDNS now to TivoWeb. I am not all that familiar with all of that though. I basically followed directions to get that set up.

BTW. I haven't hacked the SA tivo. The only settings on the factory setup I can use just ask for an IP Address.
    You can get the two v6.2 DTiVo's to talk over the intertubes, but you will not be able to get the SA TiVo to talk to the DTiVo.

The SA, assuming it is a Series 2, should be on v9.3.2a software by now. The current MRV scheme in v9x and v11x software will not talk to the older MRV scheme in v6x. There isn't anything that I know of that will let the two talk to each other directly. The only method that I know of that works to get SA and DTiVos talking is to have a PC in the middle doing conversions and running pytivo or tivoserver (depending on what direction you are moving shows).

Unless you have an extremely fast internet connection at BOTH ends, you will not be happy with the results. The transfer will be limited to the slowest connection and even with a fast connection, expect transfers to several HOURS for each hour of show.

Is that at all possible without a static IP on either end??
    Even a non static IP should rarely change. Most good routers have dynamic DNS support built right in.

As others have said the upstream is going to be the biggest issue. You're only hope is to pay significant money to get a faster upstream or use a hacked cable mode.

MRV protocol differences in 6.x versus 9.x+ aside, you'll find problems in getting the two sides to see each other, even if you have a VPN. The Tivos see each other via a beacon sent to the local subnet's broadcast address. To get those broadcast packets to the remote side is the first hurdle, though last report I saw was that the MRV code won't do transfers between machines on different subnets, even if the beacons are forwarded.

See other threads:
    MRV Protocol and cross-subnet video transfers
    Last edited by bitmap; 02-05-2009 at 10:00 PM.

thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I was doubtful that it would ever work, but I wanted to take a shot at it anyway.

Thanks

You might want to look at
    Hava
    "http://www.myhava.com/product_hava_platinum_hd_p0707.html?gclid=CPiakJ2XyJgCFQrFGgodsiII0w"

Or Slingbox
    "http://www.slingmedia.com/"

Thanks for the info guys. I was doubtful that it would ever work, but I wanted to take a shot at it anyway.

Thanks
    I've seen it work between DTiVo's.... but it definitely took more than just opening up the ports, and it took several hours to transfer each show.