Thread: I am new to this and have a question.

Talking I am new to this and have a question.

My grandfather gave me his old TiVo unit after getting a new one himself. I know it is a HUMAX unit with a DVD burner I do not know the model number off hand it's buried under Christmas stuff I still need to put in a attic. My question is (before I go and dig it out) can I replace the TiVo software with something else that would let me use it as just a stand-a-lone dvr. I would like to stick in the spare room I have cable in that room, Directv with HD-DVR in the rest. I more or less just want something to play around with on the cheap. Thanks for your time and any help.

Sorry. The only way to use the DVR is to subscribe to the Tivo service.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

In theory, you could write your own software, but to date, the hardware details needed to do it are a corporate secret, so nobody has.

32 Thanks

Thanks for the answer I was just curious.

I thought the DVD units came with a lower level of TiVo service that allowed it to function with no subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    I thought the DVD units came with a lower level of TiVo service that allowed it to function with no subscription?
    Only the Pioneer and Toshiba DVD units; not Humax. You can buy lifetime for it though.