Thread: Tivo HD Extraction?

Tivo HD Extraction?

I recently made several changes to my stock 11.0 Tivo HD

Replaced Prom
    Replaced 160GB disk with TB.
    CSO and CCI hacks.

Before the changes I could extract non protected content with pytivo (TTGO). Now that fails even on newly recorded non protected programs. The transfer dies after a few 100 MB and the transfered file is not viewable.

When I had a series 2 I used tysuite or mfs_ftp. As far as I can tell they are only for series 2.

Tivowebplus seems to have some transfer options, but its not clear to me if that is supposed to work on a series 3.

What should work?

TyTools and mfs_ftp should both work. I use TyTools on my S3 and it works fine.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...99&postcount=8

It's starting to look like doing the CCI hack but not the CSO hack makes a lot of sense.

wrong post
    Last edited by kmt; 02-26-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Actually, I found that I was making a silly mistake. I had assumed that since I had the CSO patch that the .TiVo files would be unencrypted and I didn't need to use the media key with tivodecode. When I did use the media key I did get a playable mpg file.

Given that I'm not sure what the CSO patch accomplishes. I guess its only needed if you do extraction via another means, like mfs_ftp. (By the way does anyone have a pointer to an up to date mfs_ftp that will work, apparently there are patches necessary for S3).

The problem I mentioned of TTG transfers with pytivo dying early didn't really exist. On small samples the .TiVo file size may not match the reported size on the tivo, and pytivo does not properly report that the transfer was successful.

My remaining problem is that the mpg file that comes out of tivodecode does not work with many of the media players on Linux. mplayer and ffplay are ok, but xine, vlc, and totem can't handle it. I guess I could transcode it, but thats expensive and troublesome.

So what does the CSO patch do then?

We have applied the CSO patch here in Aust and I am unsure how to extract shows? I can get the ty off using mfs_ftp but don't know what to do to convert this to an mpeg.

We do not have a MAK key at present. They might be selling us a MAK key at the end of this month but until then how to I extract shows?

I have tried tivodecode but it just crashes even with a dummy MAK key.

Any ideas?

Look up s3tots.
    Last edited by Jamie; 03-09-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Just found it about 2 minutes after posting.
    Tried tytompeg and it errored telling me to get s3tots.
    Thanks for the heads up as well Jamie.

This appears to decode to a ts file. From reading the s3tots forum there are a few issues with it in some players and converters.

I failed to convert the .ts file to a mp4 tried using ffmpeg and videoredo. Will ask in the s3tots thread unless someone here has a quick answer or encoding command they use for ffmpeg?

I used to use mencoder but found it had alot of audio sync issues.

I'm not having any problems converting transport streams from s3tots to .mp4 via ffmpeg. For example, ffmpeg -i foo.ty foo.mp4 works for me.

Odd I am getting errors

Code:
    "D:\VideoShare\Tivo\Encoders\ffmpeg.exe" -i "D:\VideoShare\Tivo\mpegs\16.9\Foreign Correspondent.Feb 28.ts" "D:\VideoShare\Tivo\mpegs\16.9\Foreign Correspondent.Feb 28.ts".mp4
    FFmpeg version Sherpya-r15666, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
      libavutil     49.12. 0 / 49.12. 0
      libavcodec    52. 0. 0 / 52. 0. 0
      libavformat   52.22. 1 / 52.22. 1
      libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
      libswscale     0. 6. 1 /  0. 6. 1
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
      built on Oct 22 2008 23:37:16, gcc: 4.2.5 20080919 (prerelease) [Sherpya]
    Input #0, mpegts, from 'D:\VideoShare\Tivo\mpegs\16.9\Foreign Correspondent.Feb
    28.ts':
      Duration: 00:31:59.29, start: 31333.190944, bitrate: 10339 kb/s
      Program 1
        Stream #0.0[0x905]: Video: mpeg2video, 90000.00 tb(r)
        Stream #0.1[0x90a]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5:1, s16, 32 kb/s
    picture size invalid (0x0)
    Cannot allocate temp picture, check pix fmt
    Nevermind I will ask somewhere else as this is a tivo forum.

Jamie your running in linux aren't you? Not that is should make a difference.

I suppose it is also possible that our Australian units are using a slightly different format?

SOLUTION:

There was an issue with the Australian Tivo HD having 3 streams of data. s3tots has been updated to handle this and everything works as expected now.
    http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57574
    I can't get the ts to play in anything.
    Last edited by pdd; 03-28-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added soltuon to issue