Thread: Australian Tivo Slap in the face

Australian Tivo Slap in the face

For those that have been following our hacking progress over the last few weeks. I thought I would provide you with some further information.

As I had stated previously we were going to be recieving the TivoToGo and Tivo Desktop sometime this month at what was said in the media by a Tivo executive last year at being (in the tens of dolllars) we guessed $20 - $30.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...678017036.html

Well tivo has released it today at the insane price of $199AUD ($131 USD).
    http://shop.tivo.com.au/online/range...orking-package

We already pay $699 AUD rec retail ($460 USD) for a box with a lifetime subscription. There is no month to month subscription here.

That said we are now going to be letting the Australian Tivo users know about this forum.

Do you guys mind us moving in as the official place for Tivo Hacking for Australian Tivo HD units?

Should we stick to these threads or should we have our own so as not to flood out your US conversations or should we go elsewhere? I just thought I would ask prior to releasing info about this site to the many who may be interested in hacking the Australian Units.

Totally appalled at Tivo Australia's actions. I also think they could have breached some consumer laws with their previous pricing statements about the price for TTG and Tivo Desktop. Action will be taken against them if they have.
    Last edited by pdd; 03-17-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: provided link to comment about pricing

yep very disappointed not going to pay 199

i would think as long as it's relatively low volume in terms of number of threads, here is fine. just denote in the thread title, perhaps prefacing them with "oz: " or something. if it gets to be a lot, maybe vadim will make a separate sub-forum (that's just me speculating wildly, haven't talked to him).

ronny

Ronny: I'm thinking that discussions leading towards patches/hacks that would enable MRV/HME etc on oztivo's without paying for it would be off limits here, as they would fall under the service theft umbrella, right? In other words, if it is a service they sell, no matter how outrageously priced, we won't discuss means to get the service without paying for it.

Hi All

That's a fair call re discussion of things "off limits"

What would be greatly appreciated by the Oz community however is a bit of space (read: few threads) discussing the basics of what to do to initially get an Australian TiVo with a PROM hack up and running to accept patches. After that it will be pretty much up to the individual to take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Ronny: I'm thinking that discussions leading towards patches/hacks that would enable MRV/HME etc on oztivo's without paying for it would be off limits here, as they would fall under the service theft umbrella, right? In other words, if it is a service they sell, no matter how outrageously priced, we won't discuss means to get the service without paying for it.
    ah, good point, i suppose i didn't read it completely. probably not a good idea.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenKing View Post
    Hi All

That's a fair call re discussion of things "off limits"

What would be greatly appreciated by the Oz community however is a bit of space (read: few threads) discussing the basics of what to do to initially get an Australian TiVo with a PROM hack up and running to accept patches. After that it will be pretty much up to the individual to take it from there.
    that's probably ok, as long as the discussions stay "clean".

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Agreed we will make it clear that no hacking talk regarding MRV/HME in these forums.

I wish we had the same subscription model as you guys in the US (Even if it means paying slightly more in the long run). This restriction is highly annoying.