Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load THD slices and loopsets into a THDXL image to convert it to a true THD image?

Quote Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
    The hybrid image discussed above, is it mfstools compatible or does it require WinMFS to install? (Or are they the same format? Does WinMFS use the same mfstools code?) As a Mac user, I normally use the mfsLive CD to boot a Mac. Will the image work with mfsLive?
    WinMFS and MFSTools images are not the same format. The hybrid image was created with and is therefor only useable with WinMFS.
    Wondering too, how is the difference in max size implemented? That is, what about the XL allows a bigger volume size? Is it strictly the partition scheme used? Or is there code different in the two models?
    Current tivo software distributions can only address partitions 1TB in size. Current upgrade tools add partitions to the existing image, rather than actually increasing the size of the existing partitions. There is only room in the partition table to expand once. The THDXL starts off with a base of 1TB, so when you expand you can expand up to 2TB, whereas the THD starts off with a much smaller partition, so when you add the additional 1TB, you end up with 1.26TB in total.

It sounds like this image is an XL image with HD s/w inserted, replacing the XL s/w. So, what, exactly limits the normal HD to 1.2 TB?
    Correct. The THD and THDXL use slightly different resources (Loopsets or the background video images). The tivo software has dependencies on the correct resources that must be satisfied before new software can be installed. As I explained above, I extracted the appropriate THD resources from a working box and inserted them into a THDXL image. This allowed the installation of the THD software which allowed the tivo to receive future guide data/software updates, while retaining the THDXL partition layout allowing the use of larger drives.

Thanks to everyone who got this all sorted out. I now realize why a Tivo would screw up after an update when using the dirty THDXL image on THD.

Do one of you want to make a super clean image? I wouldnt mind to buy a brand new THDXL and make an image before booting it. Then send it to one of you to modify so we could have a virgin image with low fsid loopsets.

Mr. Broflovski on TCF posted here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...70#post7823170
    I have created an image that is useable with WinMFS and is not subject to these limitations, and will work with hard drives up to 2.0TB in size. Any interested parties with a TivoHD and hard drive > 1TB are welcome to PM me.
    Is this someone we know? Was this image created the proper way (as indicated in this thread)?
    edit: It looks like it was created the right way http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewto...6&p=6719#p6719
    Last edited by ciper; 08-12-2010 at 04:45 AM.

Anyone know if this hybrid image is still floating around? I would go to the begging thread but it's hard to describe what I'm begging for...

So my little creation didn't work out?
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    So my little creation didn't work out?
    Haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to recover my season passes and some recordings before I consider blowing out my 2TB. I would like to have this image as a tool in my box...

You're referencing the Hybrid 1TB TiVoHD image, correct?

If so, I have it somewhere. Let me know if that's what you want and I'll throw it up somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkdiff View Post

If so, I have it somewhere. Let me know if that's what you want and I'll throw it up somewhere.
    Yes, if you could toss it up that would be cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkdiff View Post

Just out of curiousity, how would that be better than taking the HD's 160GB drive, using WinMFS to copy it to a 1TB drive, boosting the swap partition size up to 1GB on the way, and expanding, which, with WinMFS, doesn't leave an Apple Free partition, and then using jmfs to copy that to a 2TB and expand?

Other than not taking as long, or needing a 1TB as a temporary middleman, that is.

And of course my method does have the advantage of letting you use a 1TB if you already have one, and upping it to a 2TB later when prices come down.

I'm not claiming superior knowledge or TiVo-Fu, just wondering if there's something I don't know about, especially if it's going to come back to bite me later the way I did it.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    Just out of curiousity, how would that be better than taking the HD's 160GB drive, using WinMFS to copy it to a 1TB drive, boosting the swap partition size up to 1GB on the way, and expanding, which, with WinMFS, doesn't leave an Apple Free partition, and then using jmfs to copy that to a 2TB and expand?.
    Looks like this hybrid was made with WinMFS also. The only difference I can see from your hybrid is how the HD OS was inserted into the XL partition table. You just dd'd in the OS where as these guys used the slices and something called loopsets.

jt1134,

Thanks for sharing your dump_loopsets.tcl script, I recently put it to use. It worked great, but I did have to tweak it slightly. I found that it uses mfs_uberexport to dump the loopset, which by default exports total chunk count for a stream, not just the used chunk count. This means that when the slice is created, the extra junk from the mfs stream is also exported, and when the slice is imported back in, the junk is included as part of the recording. Here's is a patched version that corrects this behavior.
    Attached Files Attached Files