Thread: Old hard drive in new unit

Old hard drive in new unit

Hello all,

I have a HDVR2 that recently lost a tuner. I bought a used HDVR2 and want to swap HDs. I know it's not that simple.

I want to tranfer all that is on the old unit and put it on the new unit. Everything I have read says to do a clear and delete. Not what I'm looking for.

I've read about the hack tools but nothing would do what I'm trying.

Is there a way?

Is your current HDVR2 hacked? If so, it's a very easy process. You just move the old HD into the new TiVo, boot it up, login and run 51killer.tcl. Everything will work fine.

If it's not hacked, copy the old drive to the new drive using mfstools doing a full copy (so at least you have the original in tact). Then follow the hacking guides to get a command prompt on the new TiVo. At that point, run 51killer.tcl and you should be on your way.

If your old TiVo wasn't hacked, you may need to go through some extra steps to remove the encryption on the old recordings so they'll play on the new box.

If you're good with a soldering iron, you could also swap the crypto chips between the two boxes and not have to worry about any of this.

Thanks for responding

The only "hack" has been an upgraded hard drive using the Hinsdale guide

Then you basically have 1 option:

Make a backup of your current drive. Then follow one of the walkthroughs on hacking the TiVo. If you don't care about any of the network-based hacks, all you'll really need is tivotools and a serial cable to hook up to the tivo. On the PC side, install tivotools onto the active boot partition, modify rc.sysinit.author to start up a bash shell on the serial port, and apply a killhdinitrd'd kernel onto the active kernel partition.

This is where it gets a little difficult. To unscramble the old recordings, you're going to need to run a custom kernel using Monte. The unscramble program, kernels, and documentation is here.

After you setup Monte and Bash on serial, boot up the drive in the old TiVo. Run the unscrambler using the "in place" method. That should remove encryption from all your old recordings. Verify that they still play, remove the Monte call from your rc.sysinit.author and then shutdown the tivo.

Put in the old drive into the new TiVo, boot up the TiVo, and once you're in, run 51killer.tcl at the command prompt (included in the tivotools distribution) and you should be able to record new shows and watch LiveTV.

I would recommend going a step further and running superpatch once you get everything setup so your new recordings will also be unencrypted.

This is only meant as a starting point. You're going to have to do a lot of reading if you've never hacked a tivo before. Being that it's your first time, you have a pretty high chance of losing your recordings as well. You may want to buy a similarly sized HD or bigger HD than the one you're using now and do a full backup before you start.

Thanks diff, I'll get started on the reading.
    As far as getting a second drive, I remember when I upgraded my drive that I made an image of the old drive to my comp. Would that work as well?

The image will restore the OS and settings, but obviously not the recordings. If you don't care about the recordings, then you don't really need to do any of what I posted before.

The image also won't restore any season passes, scheduled recordings, software updates, etc that were done after you made the image.

Now I am confused.
    I would swear that when I upraded the drive using Hinsdale"s how to, I made an image and it saved everything.

I think what I'll do for now is put the drives back where they belong so I can just finish watching all recorded shows. That will give me time to do all the reading. I'm not real familiar with Linux, but as long as all the commands are spelled out for me. I can usually get it done.

Just cause I'm gonna be a bit lazy now, If I wanted to put a virgin drive in a unit and have that drive be portable, where should I start reading?

I think that may be the option I choose.

Do you have the image file handy? What's the size of the file? I haven't looked at the hinsdale how-to in awhile, but usually you make a shrunken MFS backup to an image file which results in the recordings being cut out. It may have had you make a full image, though. But even then, you'll of course lose everything you've recorded since making the image.

By virgin drive and portable, what exactly do you mean? A virgin drive with a clean TiVo image that's able to move between different tivo boxes? Your best bet would be buying one of the InstaCake or PTVnet CDs. These basically do all the hacking and restoring for you. They are not supported on this forum. Here's an example.

By virgin drive and portable, what exactly do you mean? A virgin drive with a clean TiVo image that's able to move between different tivo boxes? Your best bet would be buying one of the InstaCake or PTVnet CDs. These basically do all the hacking and restoring for you. They are not supported on this forum. Here's an example.

That's exactly what I mean.
    I did read about the plug and play, but what fun would that be.
    I like to tinker and am not afraid of getting dirty. I just don't wanna hear the wife when I lose everything. So if I can keep both units running, 1 for tv the other just to watch what we already recorded, that gives me time to play.

I no longer have the image, that was a coupla years ago