Thread: HR21 + Internet connection in Canada?

HR21 + Internet connection in Canada?

Hi I recently purchased an HR21Pro and am using it in Canada and I see that it has internet connectivity.

• Is there anyone in canada using this connection?
    • Does DTV use the IP information to determine location?
    • Can it be used in leu of a phone line (order ppv)?

I know it would be pretty simple to find the location by IP address so I'm considering using a proxy to make it look like it is in the US. If I have nothing to gain like the ability to order ppv, I'll just leave it disconnected or block it from accessing the internet.

Thanks,

Milhouse

I sent you a PM

You can order PPV through the web site without a connection. You can do without the network connection if you don't mind giving up VOD and widgets.
    Steve

I managed to get it working with an openvpn proxy server. There is a HUGE amount of content available via VOD. I think my vpn provider is out of business as it can no longer connect to the vpn server. If anyone finds a low cost provider that works, please post the link here. I was using alonweb.

Milhouse

Don't know what you consider "low cost", but I use PersonalVPN and consider it worth the money.
    Steve

Same boat as Milhouse...

Can someone PM me what method Mihouse used to hook up VPN? I too have a HR23-700 in Canada. Thanks in advance!!

The way I had it working does not work any more as my vpn provider disappeared. I am going to start over using a virtual linux machine running on Virtualbox. I'll post the results.

VPN question

Hey Millhouse,

Did you ever get your DTV box connected to the internet? Did it stop working because your vpn company shut down or did DTV interveen? Do you think DTV cares as long as your IP is from the US and in the general area of the originating address?

Here is the answers to all your three questions one by one
    1.I am using this in canada.
    2.Yes surely Dtv uses IP for retreiving the location.
    3.You can go for PPV without telephone connection.