Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DirecTV HR2x Migration Update

Quote Originally Posted by BAHitman View Post
    if you break the seal on a leased unit, when you return it, I'm told they will charge you $499. it's much worse than voiding the warranty...

I guess if you can get the warranty sticker off without exposing the VOID across it you would be OK replacing the drive w/o issues... it ain't easy though... real pain in the rear...
    Getting the sticker off is relatively easy. Agreed, violating the warranty is no big deal - it's only a 90 day warranty according to the CSR I spoke to. Likewise, returning the unit is a non-issue in most cases. I is my understanding the service commitment is only 2 years. At that point, they have no power to compel you to return the DVR. Note, if you sell it, the purchaser cannot activate it.

Even if you have the $5.00 per month equipment warranty, DirecTV still has only two options if the warranty sticker is missing (unless the DVR is obviously damaged deliberately). Replace it under warranty, or risk loosing a customer. In the course of a year, even the cheapest account generates more revenue for DirecTV than their cost of a HD-DVR.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

well, as far as the customer agreement goes... it does not matter how long you have the reciever, when you close your account, you have to return it if it is a lease. a CSR told me that they would not let you activate a previously leased reciever because they had to make sure it was in working order and had not been modified so that I would not be responsible for the $499 fee if it were damaged. you could take that as they are looking out for you, or you can take is as BS... given the reported history of the csr's you never really know for sure...

that's not to say that they would even pursue you if you don't return it... but if they do, I'm sure your credit would suffer if you dont pay them...

for me, it's not worth it--not that I ever intend to cancel, but you never know...
    =-BAHitman

3 HDVR2 - 1x160G 4.01b
    3 DSR7000 - 1x160G 4.01b
    1 Tivo 60hr - 1x60G 7.1

TiVo - The best thing since Color TV!

That's one of the biggest reasons I think I'll never go back to directv. One reason I liked directv is you could own your own equipment, whereas with the cable company you HAD to lease theirs and pay up the ass for equipment rental (like $15 a month for a box, what a joke.)

Now the tables have turned a complete 180.

Cablecards are cheaper per month than even the directv lease fees (which are cheaper than what cable used to be.) And I really can't stand the idea of signing a 2 year commitment every time you change just one little thing about your service, that used to annoy me so much. Worse is with directv you essentially had to buy the unit, then pay a lease fee for it, sign up for a 2 year commitment, and then they can ask to have it back anytime they want it. The very principle of it is just absurd.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    That's one of the biggest reasons I think I'll never go back to directv. One reason I liked directv is you could own your own equipment, whereas with the cable company you HAD to lease theirs and pay up the ass for equipment rental (like $15 a month for a box, what a joke.)

Now the tables have turned a complete 180.

Cablecards are cheaper per month than even the directv lease fees (which are cheaper than what cable used to be.) And I really can't stand the idea of signing a 2 year commitment every time you change just one little thing about your service, that used to annoy me so much. Worse is with directv you essentially had to buy the unit, then pay a lease fee for it, sign up for a 2 year commitment, and then they can ask to have it back anytime they want it. The very principle of it is just absurd.
    With all due respect to someone who has been active here AND contributed more than I have, this logic is bullshit.

First, the primary consideration should be "Will the service deliver what I want?" The second should be "Which service will deliver it most economically?"

Millions of people are content with no television, or OTA television only. I would not attempt to persuade them that they are missing something vital.

Now let's look at your arguments. First of all, the rental for a cable card is a factor only if cable provides the programming you want. Frankly, I could live the rest of my life happily without shopping channels, LMN, CMT, or MTV. Others feel differently, and I encourage them to do so. I would not be happy if I was unable to watch my (former) home NFL team play, and I'm willing to pay for the entertainment. That pretty much ties me to DirecTV.

The 'rent vrs lease' issue is also misrepresented. When I owned the DSR704 in my living room I paid a $5.00 per month 'additional receiver' fee. When It was replace with a HR20-700 (at a cost of $100, including the new dish, multiswitches and installation by an incompetent bunch of yahoos) the $5.00 a month fee became a 'lease' fee. Again, others can have their own opinion, but it doesn't matter a whit to me if it's called a 'lease fee', 'additional receiver fee', or 'convenience fee'.

The two year commitment is also misrepresented. The information I got from the CSR is that if I discontinued service within two years I could either return the receiver to DirecTV or pay a $500 penalty. Furthermore I have spoken to a number of people who are selling a leased receiver on Craigslist after having discontinued service. Some of them had 'purchased' the receiver from Best Buy less than a year ago. They were unaware the receiver was actually leased, and had never been charged the $500. Now, this might be due to DirecTV's legendary inefficiency.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    With all due respect to someone who has been active here AND contributed more than I have, this logic is bullshit.

First, the primary consideration should be "Will the service deliver what I want?" The second should be "Which service will deliver it most economically?"

Millions of people are content with no television, or OTA television only. I would not attempt to persuade them that they are missing something vital.

Now let's look at your arguments. First of all, the rental for a cable card is a factor only if cable provides the programming you want. Frankly, I could live the rest of my life happily without shopping channels, LMN, CMT, or MTV. Others feel differently, and I encourage them to do so. I would not be happy if I was unable to watch my (former) home NFL team play, and I'm willing to pay for the entertainment. That pretty much ties me to DirecTV.

The 'rent vrs lease' issue is also misrepresented. When I owned the DSR704 in my living room I paid a $5.00 per month 'additional receiver' fee. When It was replace with a HR20-700 (at a cost of $100, including the new dish, multiswitches and installation by an incompetent bunch of yahoos) the $5.00 a month fee became a 'lease' fee. Again, others can have their own opinion, but it doesn't matter a whit to me if it's called a 'lease fee', 'additional receiver fee', or 'convenience fee'.

The two year commitment is also misrepresented. The information I got from the CSR is that if I discontinued service within two years I could either return the receiver to DirecTV or pay a $500 penalty. Furthermore I have spoken to a number of people who are selling a leased receiver on Craigslist after having discontinued service. Some of them had 'purchased' the receiver from Best Buy less than a year ago. They were unaware the receiver was actually leased, and had never been charged the $500. Now, this might be due to DirecTV's legendary inefficiency.

PlainBill
    Honestly the source of the content doesn't really mean anything to me. It ultimately comes down to the cost for what I am getting, so long as it has everything I want. Cable is doing a better job of that right now. Used to be the lease fee killed it, but this is no longer true.

And as far as commitments go, its the whole principle of the thing that bothers the **** out of me. I like to be able to come and go as I choose. If satellite offered a better deal tomorrow, I can always go to them any time I'd like. Going satellite to cable? Better hope your commitment has run out. Same thing with cell phone providers, I really hate them right now.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?