Thread: Serial Cable with Multimeter

Serial Cable with Multimeter

Many of the instructions for building a serial cable say to use a multimeter to check the pin-outs. What does that mean? I have a multimeter, but what do I do with it?

You're checking continuity between the pins at each end that should be connected.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    You're checking continuity between the pins at each end that should be connected.
    But if one end is still inside the stereo plug how do I test it?

You measure ohms between the pin at the RS-232 end (most often a DE-9 connector), and the associated contact on the "stereo" plug. If all the connections are good, the meter should read close to 0 ohms for each of the 3 circuits. Also, it should read infinite ohms when measuring between any of the 3 circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    You measure ohms between the pin at the RS-232 end (most often a DE-9 connector), and the associated contact on the "stereo" plug. If all the connections are good, the meter should read close to 0 ohms for each of the 3 circuits. Also, it should read infinite ohms when measuring between any of the 3 circuits.
    Thank you. That worked.

Also, I was using these instructions to build a serial cable:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=10
    I found which wire corresponds to which section on the stereo plug, but in those directions they are referenced by color and mine are different colors. So how do I know where each one connects on the serial cable?

Quote Originally Posted by J92Devils View Post
    Also, I was using these instructions to build a serial cable:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=10
    I found which wire corresponds to which section on the stereo plug, but in those directions they are referenced by color and mine are different colors. So how do I know where each one connects on the serial cable?
    Check this out.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Check this out.
    Ohhhh. I think I get it now. If I want to make the solderless serial cable, I can find out which wire on the serial cable corresponds to which pinout using a multimeter, and then connect them like in that diagram. Will that work?