Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Serial Cable with Multimeter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57

    Serial Cable with Multimeter

    Many of the instructions for building a serial cable say to use a multimeter to check the pin-outs. What does that mean? I have a multimeter, but what do I do with it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Noo Hampsha
    Posts
    767
    You're checking continuity between the pins at each end that should be connected.
    Steve

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    You're checking continuity between the pins at each end that should be connected.
    But if one end is still inside the stereo plug how do I test it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    253
    You measure ohms between the pin at the RS-232 end (most often a DE-9 connector), and the associated contact on the "stereo" plug. If all the connections are good, the meter should read close to 0 ohms for each of the 3 circuits. Also, it should read infinite ohms when measuring between any of the 3 circuits.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    You measure ohms between the pin at the RS-232 end (most often a DE-9 connector), and the associated contact on the "stereo" plug. If all the connections are good, the meter should read close to 0 ohms for each of the 3 circuits. Also, it should read infinite ohms when measuring between any of the 3 circuits.
    Thank you. That worked.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57
    Also, I was using these instructions to build a serial cable:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=10
    I found which wire corresponds to which section on the stereo plug, but in those directions they are referenced by color and mine are different colors. So how do I know where each one connects on the serial cable?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by J92Devils View Post
    Also, I was using these instructions to build a serial cable:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=10
    I found which wire corresponds to which section on the stereo plug, but in those directions they are referenced by color and mine are different colors. So how do I know where each one connects on the serial cable?
    Check this out.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Check this out.
    Ohhhh. I think I get it now. If I want to make the solderless serial cable, I can find out which wire on the serial cable corresponds to which pinout using a multimeter, and then connect them like in that diagram. Will that work?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •