Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead DSR-708

Dead DSR-708

My Downstairs DSR-708, which has been running great for 2+ years started acting a bit odd past few days, like it was stuttering every 2-3 seconds on any channel...Figured it was one of the two drives going bad, so I pulled em out and ran the WD Diag tests on em, and both came up clean, no errors...

So I put them back in the Tivo, tried to reboot it, and nothing...power was working, as the fan was spinning, but drives were not, and nothing on the TV and the green power light stayed out...

Thought Ok, could be a Power Supply issue, so I disconnected the drives from the power supply just to see if I could get the welcome screen up, and no joy...

So I removed the drives from the Tivo, and removed the IDE cable, thinking it might be the cable...grabbed a new spare IDE cable, and still no joy..same deal...drives dont spin, power light doesn't light, and nothing on the TV...

Pulled the IDE cable off the Tivo, and tried to boot that way...nothing on the TV...

Plugged in one drive to the power supply, left the IDE cable off, and powered up the Tivo....The drive spun, the power light came on, and the welcome screen flashed on the screen.... then it flashed off, and the power light went on, then they both flashed on and flashed off...and then both went blank and nothing...

So...Anyone ever hear of the IDE port on a Tivo going bad?

Any other suggestions on how to resurrect this poor box? Its my main one with about 400+ hours of movies and goodness on it...

Any help greatly appreciated...

If you're sure the drives are ok (and you disabled encryption) why not just pick up another 708? I saw one on ebay for $15, so even if DirecTV makes you spring for a new access card you won't be out much money to preserve all that programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Callindril View Post
    My Downstairs DSR-708, which has been running great for 2+ years started acting a bit odd past few days, like it was stuttering every 2-3 seconds on any channel...Figured it was one of the two drives going bad, so I pulled em out and ran the WD Diag tests on em, and both came up clean, no errors...

So I put them back in the Tivo, tried to reboot it, and nothing...power was working, as the fan was spinning, but drives were not, and nothing on the TV and the green power light stayed out...

Thought Ok, could be a Power Supply issue, so I disconnected the drives from the power supply just to see if I could get the welcome screen up, and no joy...

So I removed the drives from the Tivo, and removed the IDE cable, thinking it might be the cable...grabbed a new spare IDE cable, and still no joy..same deal...drives dont spin, power light doesn't light, and nothing on the TV...

Pulled the IDE cable off the Tivo, and tried to boot that way...nothing on the TV...

Plugged in one drive to the power supply, left the IDE cable off, and powered up the Tivo....The drive spun, the power light came on, and the welcome screen flashed on the screen.... then it flashed off, and the power light went on, then they both flashed on and flashed off...and then both went blank and nothing...

So...Anyone ever hear of the IDE port on a Tivo going bad?

Any other suggestions on how to resurrect this poor box? Its my main one with about 400+ hours of movies and goodness on it...

Any help greatly appreciated...
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    If you're sure the drives are ok (and you disabled encryption) why not just pick up another 708? I saw one on ebay for $15, so even if DirecTV makes you spring for a new access card you won't be out much money to preserve all that programming.
    Thats what I was thinking, but was under the impression that I couldnt put the old drives in another Tivo...even with a new access card..

As long as encryption was disabled before all the shows were recorded, they'll play fine on the new Tivo (just run 51killer.tcl). If encryption was not disabled, you'll have to jump through a couple extra steps to get the old shows working again.

Quote Originally Posted by Callindril View Post
    Thats what I was thinking, but was under the impression that I couldnt put the old drives in another Tivo...even with a new access card..
    Before going to those lengths, take a look at the caps in the power supply. Odds are you will see one with a bulging top. Replace it.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I agree with Plain Bill here. I had this problem, turns out cap was bad, soldered in a new one and working fine ever since.

Checked all the caps around the power supply section, hell, checked all the caps I could see on the whole MB...nothing looked bad...

Gave up on trying to trouble shoot it myself, and shipped it off to CCS Corp for repairs...

Will see what they say...

Thanks for the suggestions...

Is there any work-around for a blown modem on a DSR-704? Tried everything I could think of to get past the hang at "almost there..."
    thought zipper might work but was told it wont. Any suggestions?
    Help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriskitall View Post
    Is there any work-around for a blown modem on a DSR-704? Tried everything I could think of to get past the hang at "almost there..."
    thought zipper might work but was told it wont. Any suggestions?
    Help is appreciated.
    Run fakecall.sh, then reboot and rerun guided setup.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks PlainBill. Let me spell out my adventure because something aint right.
    All started with a mysterious random reboot loop (was working fine for about 2 months after DD copy and expand). So I re-imaged drive with my known working backup of version 6.3e (not hacked at all). Then started getting hangs at powering up.. Swapped out power supplies -- same result. Re-imaged a different drive (same type PATA 320GB)--same results but now I got to "almost there..." with hangs. So I replaced with original 40GB and it worked slightly --got hardware error message "Error #51 call phillips at 800#). So, okay maybe not a blown modem..? Phone line has surge protection too. So I replaced with 320GB drive with same image as original 40GB but I hang at "Almost there..." still!!!
    Not sure what the hardware error code was, any added thoughts?
    PS--Both short and long Seagate drive diagnostics checked good.

Error 51 indicates the drive (image) was from another system. On an unhacked system you must run 'Clear and Delete Everything' to clear it. If the drive is hacked (and the recordings unencrypted), '51Killer' from AlphaWolf's Series 2 Binaries will clear the error without losing recordings.

As far as the other problems, I don't know, but suspect it has something to do with either a corrupted image or the 137 Gig barrier. The fact that an expand step was involved suggests corruption.

In situations like this, I have found the best approach is to do a step by step process.

1. Copy working drive (must be an unexpanded image) to large drive using MFS Live or MFS Tools (LBA-48 aware versions only). DO NOT EXPAND IMAGE.

2. Test new drive

3. Pull drive and expand image (mfsadd? - it's been a long time).

4. Test expanded new drive.

5. Stress test new drive by scheduling a lot of recordings to fill drive past 137 Gig barrier.

6. If everything works, delete extra recordings.

PlainBill

Will do. Thanks for todays tasker listing. I used MFSlive 1.4 so maybe back to 1.3. With wife/kids outta town I got time to learn something!

Error 51 indicates the drive (image) was from another system. On an unhacked system you must run 'Clear and Delete Everything' to clear it. If the drive is hacked (and the recordings unencrypted), '51Killer' from AlphaWolf's Series 2 Binaries will clear the error without losing recordings.

As far as the other problems, I don't know, but suspect it has something to do with either a corrupted image or the 137 Gig barrier. The fact that an expand step was involved suggests corruption.

In situations like this, I have found the best approach is to do a step by step process.
    1. Copy working drive (must be an unexpanded image) to large drive using MFS Live or MFS Tools (LBA-48 aware versions only). DO NOT EXPAND IMAGE.
    2. Test new drive
    5. Stress test new drive by scheduling a lot of recordings to fill drive past 137 Gig barrier.

Okay--#1,2,3 worked. When I placed 4 in box I got Error 51 again. (I bought a spare DSR 704 on ebay to get a virgin image. I completed the CD&E, ran guided setup then backed it up for my restore file.) If I try it in the ebay box error 51 might go away but then I wont know whats wrong with my original box ((BUT i might have a working Tivo!))
    Is there some signature in the restore file that makes it only compatible with this (ebay) box?
    Thanks big time for your help BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriskitall View Post

2. Test new drive

Okay--#1,2,3 worked. When I placed 4 in box I got Error 51 again. (I bought a spare DSR 704 on ebay to get a virgin image. I completed the CD&E, ran guided setup then backed it up for my restore file.) If I try it in the ebay box error 51 might go away but then I wont know whats wrong with my original box ((BUT i might have a working Tivo!))
    Is there some signature in the restore file that makes it only compatible with this (ebay) box?
    Thanks big time for your help BTW.
    When a TiVo or DirecTiVo system is booted for the first time it uses information from the crypto chip to create a 'signature' which is stored in the MFS database. That 'signature' is used to encrypt and decrypt all recordings. When a system is rebooted it looks for the signature and validates it against the crypto chip. If validation fails, you will get 'Error 51'. If no signature is found, it creates a new one - this is how '51 killer' works. C & DE wipes everything, including recordings, set up information, and this signature.

NOW, there are some hacks which prevent a system from calling home. That MIGHT have been the initial problem. I would suggest the following steps:

1. Restore your 'new' image to a hard drive and try it the old system. Run C&DE, and try to run guided setup. If it works you have arrived!!!

2. If it fails, you have two choices: A - Use the 'new' system. or B: hack the old system so you can run 51 killer. The might be a third option: Wipe the 'signature' while the drive is in a PC. That requires knowledge of the mfs database, NOT my strong suite.

PlainBill

Looks like choice A is working with both test drive images (orig 40GB and expanded 320GB). Had to run CD&E and guided setup.
    I don't have any hacked images yet. (I've got the fishing pole, still learning to fish, i guess.) I know many of you highly knowledgeable Tivo guys have done some really amazing things with these Tivos.
    Going to try #1 in a few minutes.
    "...I completed the CD&E, ran guided setup then backed it up for my restore file." Was this the correct process for a clean backup?