Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TivoHD -- my 1st attempt

"... using bootpage" ?

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    By using bootpage to add upgradesoftware=false to the boot parameters you can block installation of software upgrades. The files are downloaded and saved, but not installed. .........PlainBill
    Thanks PB.

What does "using bootpage" mean. Is bootpage one of the utilities? Which package? (I know there is a bootpage in the software.)
    VideoReDo users: Try VideoReDo-Autoprocessor (VAP)
    pyTivo users: Try PyTivoMetaGen and MetaToExcel

iptable confusion....

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Just to clarify, the "exit 0" iptables fix is required for custom (i.e., replace_initrd) kernels. The iptables flush won't work. But hey don't take my word for it; here is a quote from the custom kernel thread.
    Again I tried to follow the linked thread chain without learning much. Does your statement mean that the "exit 0" fix WAS correct as used by mlcarson (since he used a modified kernel)? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
    Again I tried to follow the linked thread chain without learning much. Does your statement mean that the "exit 0" fix WAS correct as used by mlcarson (since he used a modified kernel)? Or what?
    Yes the "exit 0" fix is correct because he used a custom kernel. The "exit 0" fix is also required if you neuter the stock kernel with the 'replace_initrd' utility.

bootpage is a binary native on the tivo as well as the MFSLive CD.
    Code:
    bootpage -p /dev/sdd
    would print out the current parameters using the device the OP gave above. Typically you would modify it as such:
    Code:
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=1,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/sdd
    That string of parameters assumes root is on the 7th partition; enables boot messages on the serial port and prevents automatic tivo software upgrades. This again assumes being done on the PC side (hence /dev/sdd) the hard drive is always "seen" on the tivo side as /dev/hda. Observe case sensitivity.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Edited original post to map console to S1 and deleted fakecall.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    I find the warning ironic
    Serial port is mapped to /dev/ttyS1 on S3 tivos

SA tivos get their guide data from daily calls so it would be a good idea not to run fakecall.

Thanks guys. Chunk by chunk I'm building confidence I can do this (with a lot of help like you're giving).

mlcarson, early in your first post you say:

While in MFSLive, I printed a copy of the MFSINFO Partition maps (15 paritions).
    But I wonder if you meant WinMFS instead of MFSLive, since you don't download the MFSLive disk until later in the post (?).

Also, if I don't want the noencrypt patch, is it obvious what to change or delete in the tvapppatches.tcl file? (I would like my TTG files to be the same format as with an unhacked TiVo -- my workflow is all set up to handle the decryption by loading the files into VideoReDo.)

Yep -- I did mean that. Sorry for the confusion. Will edit this.

mlcarson, early in your first post you say:

But I wonder if you meant WinMFS instead of MFSLive, since you don't download the MFSLive disk until later in the post (?).

Also, if I don't want the noencrypt patch, is it obvious what to change or delete in the tvapppatches.tcl file? (I would like my TTG files to be the same format as with an unhacked TiVo -- my workflow is all set up to handle the decryption by loading the files into VideoReDo.)

...........Also, if I don't want the noencrypt patch, is it obvious what to change or delete in the tvapppatches.tcl file? (I would like my TTG files to be the same format as with an unhacked TiVo -- my workflow is all set up to handle the decryption by loading the files into VideoReDo.)
    I ***think*** I've answered my own question here. I downloaded the tvapppatches-11.0c.tcl file and see this in it:

Code:
    array set patch_11.0c {
    0x005d3a14 "104000aa 100000aa"
    0x00773b38 "00008021 24100001"
    0x00b92be4 "14400026 10400026"
    0x00656e40 "30b000ff 00008021"
    0x00656e64 "00e08821 24110000"
    0x0117e020 "30b000ff 00008021"
    }

array set desc_11.0c {
    0x005d3a14 "noencrypt"
    0x00773b38 "backdoors"
    0x00b92be4 "30secskip"
    0x00656e40 "cci1"
    0x00656e64 "cci2"
    0x0117e020 "cci3"
    }
    I think if I don't want the "noencrypt" patch I just delete the two lines that start with that address (0x005d3a14). Will that do it?

<snip>
    I think if I don't want the "noencrypt" patch I just delete the two lines that start with that address (0x005d3a14). Will that do it?
    Yes, exactly; just delete those two lines and run the patch on your tivo via telnet or serial.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 06-30-2009 at 08:31 AM.

where is the TCL interpreter?

When you telnet in and run tvapppatch.tcl, I assume the TCL interpreter must be present on the TiVo HDD, correct?

Has this been accomplished by the mlcarson sequence, or is it there to begin with?

I played with a Win32 version of TCL/Tk about 8 years ago -- liked it.

When you telnet in and run tvapppatch.tcl, I assume the TCL interpreter must be present on the TiVo HDD, correct?
    Tivo supports TCL natively. The "tivosh" which is a symlink to the tivoapp binary, is a native TCL interpreter.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Tivo supports TCL natively. The "tivosh" which is a symlink to the tivoapp binary, is a native TCL interpreter.
    So..... Is some of the tivo software actually (text) TCL source code ? I would be surprised but it sure would simplify hacking I would think.

the tivo is full of tcl scripts and shell scripts. much can be learned by simply reading thru these scripts

Wow -- I must have bad timing. Was planning on experimenting more with the Tivo this weekend and it's already updated itself from 11.0c to 11.0d wiping out last week's hack.

Another alternative

This post may be of some help. It's a little example script similar to the ones I use to hack my TiVos. It is not polished and does not involve any clever scripting. It is not necessarily intended for actual use by TiVo enthusiasts - although it could be, but rather as an illustration of the basic methods one may employ to hack an S3 TiVo.

After significant consideration, especially in light of the fact the hacks must be renewed every few months, my preferred method of handling the hacks is to create a Linux boot partition on the system used to hack the TiVos. Several of my systems run Linux almost exclusively in the first place, so creating a hacking environment for them is extremely simple. The machine I use most often to hack the TiVos, however, primarily boots Windows. Thus, on that machine, I took 100G of unused space (10G or so is more than plenty, actually) and loaded the Debian "Lenny" distro of Linux on the machine, creating a Grubb multi-boot system (which is the default). Now whenever I need to hack a TiVo, I don't have to scramble to find a CD or download the latest version of MFS_Live, or whatever. Instead, I boot directly into Linux from the hard drive, where I have not only all the binaries and scripts produced by members of the hacking community, but also scripts I have written and customized myself, similar to the one above. Now it takes me less than 5 minutes to hack a TiVo - quite literally less time than it takes to boot the TiVo after I have completed the hacks. If I have problem, questions, or issues, I can go online without having to leave the hacking environment, and since the patch values are usually posted on the forum somewhere, I can simply fire up the browser and then cut-and-paste from the browser to apply the patches. The Linux desktop environment also offers a number of advantages over the live CD environment, including hot-plugging, access to the full range of attached peripherals, and full network connectivity both to the internet and to the servers and other workstations on the LAN.

I also find it difficult to remember all the commands and switches when I only hack the TiVos once every three months or so. Although it is certainly possible to edit the contents of an .iso file to add personalized scripts or text notes, it's a bit of a pain, and any update to the boot CD by the hackers requires one to edit the new .iso to meet one's needs, or do without customization. With a desktop implementation, updating the OS can be completely asynchronous from changes to the utilities themselves, and downloading and implementing the changes to the utilities when need be is simple.

Finally, I really enjoy the fact I can set up the system to deliver precisely the hacks I want without any extra trouble more or less at the touch of a button, as it were. In my case, I implement TiVoWebPlus, NoCSO, TyTool (specifically tserver), telnet, ftp, busybox, several aliases, and a few scripts to do things like set the root filesystem to read-only / read-write, and so forth. I simply keep a mirror of the files I want from /etc and /var/hack in the appropriate directories on the desktop machine. I edit, add, or delete files as I see fit, and then simply tar the entire structure to a file on the desktop machine. When I mount the TiVo drive, I simply untar the file onto the mounted partition, and all the hacks other than the kernel neutering and the patches to tivoapp are done in a flash. If I need to do any tweaking on the TiVo, I can perform it there and then simply ftp the updates back to the desktop system to make them "permanent".

Now management of the hacked TiVos has gone from being a bit tedious to being a breeze. Rather than re-inventing the wheel every time, now I just rotate the tires and fix an occasional flat from time to time.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 07-05-2009 at 10:42 AM.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Just a quick followup on this.... I did create a VMWare virtual machine and was able to use this rather than directly boot off the MFSLive CDROM. There's probably a better way of doing this but I simply mapped the CDROM to the downloadable MFSLive Linux ISO image. I then mapped a virtual hard disk as IDE 0:0 to use as a repository for various utilities/files. The Tivo HD I mapped as physical disk on another IDE channel pointing to the Tivo SATA disk. When I started the virtual machine, I was able to mount the Tivo partitions from the drive just like I was able to via the boot cd. The only real differences were that the Tivo HD and the CDROM were mapped to IDE devices rather than SATA devices and it allowed me to work on the Tivo while still having Windows up.

I'm not sure how to create a real Linux installation off from the MFSLive Linux boot disk. It might be useful to have a full blown Linux VM rather than just the Live CD. Are there instructions out there anywhere for simply modifying a standard Linux build to make Linux aware of Tivo partitions. Sorry -- not really a Linux guy. Irhorer's reply mentioned he's doing this and is kind of where I want to be but all within VMWare.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
    There may be a way of using VMWare to boot off the CD ISO and to point the virtual machine at the physical SATA drive connection so you can have Windows up at the same time -- I may look into this later.
    Last edited by mlcarson; 07-07-2009 at 07:59 PM.