Thread: TivoHD -- my 1st attempt

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Yes, but you can't patch a running tivoapp. You need to do something like:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /tvbin
    cp tivoapp tivoapp.new
    chmod 755 tivoapp.new
    echo -ne "\x10\x00\x00\xaa" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.new bs=1 seek=1915412
    <do rest of your 'dd' statements>
    mv tivoapp tivoapp.orig
    mv tivoapp.new tivoapp
    restart
    It's always good to keep an original copy in case something goes wrong. Be careful keeping too many copies as it takes up lots of space.
    Alternatively, I can just run through mlcarson's approach and use the 11d appatches...correct? By the way...I was able to get my TiVo working again...every thing seems good, I just need to wait for the box to update to the 11d version...there is no manual way to do that correct?
    Last edited by reltubman; 11-17-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I type faster than I think

Quote Originally Posted by reltubman View Post
    Alternatively, I can just run through mlcarson's approach and use the 11d appatches...correct? By the way...I was able to get my TiVo working again...every thing seems good, I just need to wait for the box to update to the 11d version...there is no manual way to do that correct?
    yup I think I already said that; that would be the tvapppatch method which you would typically do in a telnet session after you boot into the hacked tivo.

You can try to download an update by repeatedly forcing tivo to call home.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Hacked and telnet in...but....

OK, I followed the guide in the 1st post and now I have the tivo rebooted and I have telnet'd in but when I try to do the ./tvapppatches.tcl command I get a permission denied...am I doing something wrong, do I need to SU somehow? I am logging into telnet using > telnet 10.0.1.117 and I get the bash-2.02# prompt

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by reltubman View Post
    OK, I followed the guide in the 1st post and now I have the tivo rebooted and I have telnet'd in but when I try to do the ./tvapppatches.tcl command I get a permission denied...am I doing something wrong, do I need to SU somehow? I am logging into telnet using > telnet 10.0.1.117 and I get the bash-2.02# prompt

Thanks!
    Disregard - I patched it manually using the DD method...

Quote Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
    The CDROM mounting was an issue for me. I expected to be able to:
    mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
    This didn't work. The /dev/cdrom is a link to the /dev/hdb device which was NOT my CDROM. My CDROM was actually device /dev/SR0 which didn't exist in the /dev directory. I corrrected this by using the /sbin/mkdev -s command. This created a lot of new devices in the /dev directory including /dev/sr0. I was then able to:
    mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom
    This gave me access to my cdrom. I believe a SATA CD/DVD drive will become SR0 rather than the default of HDB.
    I've followed the steps from the first post, up until the mounting of the CD-ROM.

The command /sbin/mkdev -s give me the following: -/bin/sh: /sbin/mkdev: not found.

I went to the /sbin directory, and I found "makedevs" and "mdev". "mkdev" was not in /sbin.

I tried the command /sbin/mdev -s and it looks like it worked. I compared the /dev directory before and after the operation using the ls command. However, now I'm stuck trying to identify which to select for the command mount /dev/??? /cdrom. sr0 does not appear under /dev.

I've tried the following with no success:
    mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
    mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
    mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom

EDIT: Problem solved. I did the command mount /dev/hda /cdrom and it worked.

EDIT: As a side note, I installed UBUNTU as an operating system on my computer as well. However, when I connected the Tivo hard drive, UBUNTU could see the hard drive, but it didn't really recognize it (something about SMART, but I can't remember at the moment). When I checked WinMFS, I noticed that some of the partitions were in EXT2 format. Since I had installed UBUNTU in EXT3 format, I reinstalled it in EXT2 format, but I had the same problem. I could try installing in EXT4 format, but I don't know if it would make a difference. As another user suggested, I could also try installing Debian Lenny instead of UBUNTU, but I don't know if that would make a difference.

garrubal
    Last edited by garrubal; 11-28-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Problem solved. I was able to mount my cdrom.

Sorry for the double post, but now I have a new problem.

I went through the entire procedure up until returning the tivo hard drive to the tivo. The tivo is now cycling in the welcome power up screen. I'll need to take out the hard drive and revert the changes. Hopefully it'll return to normal.

More disconcerting is that afterwards, I placed the original 160 GB hard drive that came with the tivo. Rather than cycling through the power up screen, it's just stuck at the power up screen.

I'm hoping the problems are just with the hard drives and not with the board.

I may need to get a third hard drive and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by garrubal View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but now I have a new problem.

I went through the entire procedure up until returning the tivo hard drive to the tivo. The tivo is now cycling in the welcome power up screen. I'll need to take out the hard drive and revert the changes. Hopefully it'll return to normal.

More disconcerting is that afterwards, I placed the original 160 GB hard drive that came with the tivo. Rather than cycling through the power up screen, it's just stuck at the power up screen.

I'm hoping the problems are just with the hard drives and not with the board.

I may need to get a third hard drive and see what happens.
    Reboot loops often occur from an iptables screwup. Capturing the boot messages at the console is recommended and often simplifies troubleshooting. You might be able to snarf it by mounting the /var (9th) partition and looking at /var/log/kernel but sometimes not; there is no substitute for viewing the in-flight boot messages.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Reboot loops often occur from an iptables screwup. Capturing the boot messages at the console is recommended and often simplifies troubleshooting. You might be able to snarf it by mounting the /var (9th) partition and looking at /var/log/kernel but sometimes not; there is no substitute for viewing the in-flight boot messages.
    Thanks for the response. I'll have to give that a try.

On a side note, I was able to get a non-hacked tivo hard drive and the tivo works fine. Now it's back to trying to fix those iptables on the other hard drive. It was a huge relief that I didn't screw up the tivo itself.

There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

bhduifhds Guest
    On a side note, I was able to get a non-hacked tivo hard drive and the tivo works fine. Now it's back to trying to fix those iptables on the other hard drive. It was a huge relief that I didn't screw up the tivo itself.

Once again, WOW!

Please let me again reiterate...
    WOW, and Holy Crap!

Now, if it were only easy. But, I think I'll print this whole thread up as a guide and work it through.
    Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by lockrob2000 View Post
    Please let me again reiterate...
    WOW, and Holy Crap!

Now, if it were only easy. But, I think I'll print this whole thread up as a guide and work it through.
    Thanks-
    Make sure you read the first post and also Richard Berg's follow up.

I'm moving a lot slower than expected. I really need to set aside a few hours, as my first attempt was not successful. I suspect typos on my part.

cd /var/hacks
    cp tvapppatches-11.0c.tcl tvapppatches.tcl
    ./tvapppatch.tcl
    Is the above correct?

After typing /.tvapppatch.tcl I get "no such file or directory".
    So I tried ./tvappatches.tcl, but I get "line 36 syntax error near unexpected token '}'

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize I needed to download two separate files. One is tvapppatches-11.0d.tcl and the other one is tvapppatch.tcl.

EDIT #2: Added the other .tcl file, rebooted, and now it works.

Newly recorded shows that used to be copy protected are now clear. Is there anything that can be done for the old shows that have already been flagged? Thanks.

Big kudos to mlcarson for putting together the initial post. Even with his help, I made quite a few errors which set me back. I'm not sure I would have figured everything out on my own, in terms of gathering all of the correct files. Thank you very much mlcarson, and also to all the posters who have responded to my noob questions.
    Last edited by garrubal; 01-03-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Realized I was missing a file.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post

I'm pretty sure this will not work. The root / exists only in the RAM of this MFSLive session. You're not writing anything to disk here. Being a newb I checked /proc/mounts and 'mount -l' to be sure. Decided to use /tivo/tivo-bin instead of /tivo-bin throughout this section and it worked perfectly. /tivovar/tivo-bin should work as well.

EDIT: The following occurs after accessing my tivo via telnet:

I think I used the /tivo/tivo-bin option to do the "tar -xvf /cdrom/tivotools.tar" command. However, I can't seem to find the /tivo-bin directory.

I was able to find the /var/hacks directory, so I can find the tivotools.tar file. I tried creating the tivo-bin directory in some areas, but it essentially told me it was a read-only area. So, I created the tivo-bin directory inside the /hacks directory just to test it. Then I tried to tar the tivotools.tar file, but the tar command wasn't recognized.

EDIT: I found the "cpio" command, and I was able to extract the files from tivotools.tar. It looks like I'll just have to take out the hard drive again and make things easy on myself. For example, the rc.sysinit.author file is read-only, so I can't seem to save the file after making changes to is using the "vi" provided by tivotools.
    Last edited by garrubal; 01-06-2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Found cpio command.

After getting telnet and ftp access

I've not looked at trying to prevent software updates or using other software for faster transfers yet. I thought I'd try writing this up while it was still fresh in my memory and let people post where I went wrong or what I have yet to do.
    Software update prevention has been covered previously in this thread, so I won't rehash that.

But after reaching the point where I had telnet and ftp access, the issue of extraction came up. Although tivo to go is certainly an option, I was looking for something faster.

First, I got the mfs tools for tivo hd here. This has "tserver", which you will need for tytool: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=10

Then I got TyTool, which is available here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=47025

This page gives you some info on how to install TyTool:
    http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_extract_videos.php

But I followed the steps only up to extraction.

Once I extracted a file, I used s3tots (S3 to transport stream (ts)).
    http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57574

Additionally, there is a nice, simple graphical user interface for s3tots:
    http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61940

That's as far as I got. I'm planning on using videoredo to edit out commercials. Since this is a transport stream file, I'm not sure it'll be a problem. I'll need to test it out.

Are there faster/better tools out there besides what I listed above? I looked at mfs_ftp, but after a few hours of searching, I couldn't make it work and gave up. TyTool is very nice, though.
    Last edited by garrubal; 01-08-2010 at 03:29 PM.