Thread: DirecTv tracking IP?

DirecTv tracking IP?

Do you think that DirecTv could track your IP and geographic location if your HR20 were connected to the internet. as example, if I took one of my DVR's to my cottage and ordered an OnDemand movie, would they know I was not at my billing address?

I already know that it would be simple for them to do it. I was just wondering if you thought they would bother to do it?
    I had a handle on life, then it broke

of course they check. that's the main reason directv has always insisted on a phone line connection on all receivers. they definitely want to know where the equipment is located.

.... So I guess I'm not off to the cottage with a couple of movies

if you own both properties then it's probably not a big deal. directv has a problem when you're sharing one account between two addresses simultaneously. if they didn't know where the receivers were located, you could have 5 boxes at 5 different addresses all under the same account/bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    Do you think that DirecTv could track your IP and geographic location if your HR20 were connected to the internet. as example, if I took one of my DVR's to my cottage and ordered an OnDemand movie, would they know I was not at my billing address?

I already know that it would be simple for them to do it. I was just wondering if you thought they would bother to do it?
    not sure if this can be done, but you may be able to have your HR20 go through a proxy (maybe a router could send certain traffic only?) that would make it appear it was in a different location
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR10-250 at 6.4a, networked, Superpatched, stock 250GB drive
    One HR23
    Patiently waiting for a new DirecTV/Tivo
    One AM21 hooked to the HR23

I don't think they bother unless you have five or more receivers on your account.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post

When I was Installing DirecTv when they first came out
    I installed them in motor homes and had no problems
    Some of the people traveled all over the US

I just started using all the features of my HR20's VOD and I answered my own question..... of course they know your IP. How else could you program it from the net if they don't know where it is! No........!?

They don't really know WHERE it is. The best they could do is a reverse IP lookup and identify your ISP's local node, which will give a general geographic area, but this can be off by dozens or even hundreds of miles, depending on various things.

What's much easier is for them to determine that all of the accesses from boxes on your account come from the same IP (or at least same subnet). But they don't bother with this for small accounts, as best as I can tell.
    Steve