Humax DRT400 $139 DRT800 $169 with Tivotogo and MRV from Weaknees????
I hope this is the right thread as I have a question I consider rather noob.
My question is does the DRT400 and DRT800 :
a) still need a prom mod ?
b) is weaknees doing prom mods now? and/or
c) does weaknees know a software mod we dont?
I ask as the latest thread I saw (ddb#60718) dated 2009/03 said it was either prom hack or no hack.
The link is from a email I got from weaknees with the following text:
$139 FOR A TiVo THAT ALSO BURNS AND PLAYS DVDs!
oReplace a DVR and a CD/DVD player with one unit that does it all!
oGreat for the kids! Let them burn DVDs for friends and family!
oGreat for home! Record your home movies to DVD!
oPerfect for Travel: Bring your TV shows with you on DVD!
oPerfect for a dorm room - an all in one unit!
Here are more of the great features of the Humax DVD TiVo - the DRT400:
* Works with cable, satellite (DISH Network and DIRECTV, when used with satellite, a separate satellite receiver is required) and antenna (requires converter box)
* Burn DVDs of TiVo'd shows - faster than realtime!
* Play all of your CDs and DVDs
* Online Scheduling - through a browser on any computer, anywhere
* TiVoCast - see high quality video shorts with great content
* KidZone - protect and control what your kids are watching on TV
* Universal Swivel Search
* TiVoToGo - move shows to your PC or Mac, and put video on the TiVo!
* Multi-Room Viewing - transfer shows to and from other TiVos
* Import, digitize, and burn to DVD video from your camcorder or VCR
* Record one show while watching a previously recorded show
* And much more!
If anybody else can verify this email I'd appreciate it as I'm almost in "write it off too good to be true" mode.
I was really suprised at "Great for the kids! Let them burn DVDs for friends and family!" as I'm sure somebody somewhere with legal degrees will be cranky about copyrights.
Thanks to all viewing and commenting on this as per usual, I'm confused
As far as I know, they don't do prom mods. What they're offering is stock units with upgraded hard drives.
Originally Posted by kjvfish
a) Yes, if you want telnet and such you need a mod;
b) No they don't;
c) No they don't.
You can upgrade the hard drive without needing a prom mod: Prom mods are for hacked S/W to bypass the security checks on the modified files.
TiVoToGo is a subscription service. Online scheduling is also a subscription service, as well as the MRV and Swivel Search. CNET says that DVD burning requires a subscription but I don't have one so I don't know for sure.
Personally, I'm running a Toshiba SD-H400 (no-prom-needed Series 2 TiVo w/DVD player) and do have a prom-modded TCD540040 I don't play much with. I'm considering a DRT400 as my next toy
Last edited by windsur; 07-13-2009 at 02:34 AM.
i head Toshiba is rolling new models soon.. would buy one of those real soon