Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benefits of NoCSO patch in multi tivo house.

Quote Originally Posted by pdd View Post
    Is there are tweak I can make to mfs_ftp to at least be able to pull off .tivo files??? I am aware I will still need to decode them.
    Not if the files are encrypted, no. The mfs_ftp utility knows noting about encryption, and no one has yet broken the TiVo encryption, to my knowledge.

If not I assume now leaves me with
    [LIST=2][*]Install TTG (I don't want to install this HOG)
    TTG is not a program. Do you perhaps mean TiVo Desktop? I agree TDT is a pig.

Use the built in webserver https://the.tivo.ip.address/ with username:tivo and password: MAK
    If you aren't doing much in the way of transfers, this might be practical. It isn't very useful if you are doing any significant amount of transfers. It's going to be much slower than TyTool or mfs_ftp transfers, and of course it won't work on protected content unless you have the CCI byte hack in place.

Some other 3rd party app that uses step 2
    Galleon is the best choice for unprotected transfers, in my estimation. I'm using NoCSO, but Galleon is certainly a solution. It is the only app which can initiate transfers from any TiVo in the house, and it has plenty of automation features. It's also available as a Linux (or just about any other OS) app, can easily run as a service, and provides lots of other great features. I'm running Galleon and pyTivo on a Linux server, although I am not generally using Galleon for either TTG or TTCB.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Anyway with this patch recordings are stored unencrypted on the tivo's hard drive. To extract these shows you pull them off via mfs_ftp then run them through s3tots (or have this running on tivo with mfs_ftp) then you have an mpeg stream to do what you want with.
    Well, s3tots produces a .ts file, although a transport stream is a type of mpeg stream. The tytompg utility produces a .mpg file. I use TyTool / tserver to transfer the recording and then s3tots to create a transport stream in an automated script running under cron.

So the question is in my situation.... is the NoCSO patch important or really just there for convenience?
    It depends upon what one is trying to do and what one's needs and priorities are. I don't do much MRV at all, so the CCI hack is not particularly useful for me. Anything I want off a TiVo, I transfer using TyTool on one of my hacked TiVos onto the video server. If I want to transfer a program, I don't record it on the unhacked TiVo. TTG transfers are slow and clumsy. MRV transfers are much faster, but one cannot MRV to anything but another TiVo.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 09-23-2009 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjones View Post
    True.

I figured that I would turn on NoCSO and use tytool only at times when I was not recording anything for which I would use tytool.

Also if the switch required a reboot, it would be unwieldy.
    In practical terms, it's going to require a reboot. Shutting down tivoapp is likely to be prblematical, although it is certainly possible. Realistically, you probably need to decide on one path or the other, although of course nothing prevents you from employing both the CCI hack and the NoCSO hack. The sticking point is one cannot transfer from a NoCSO TiVo directly to a TiVo without the NoCSO hack.

I have 2 TivoHD units, no CSO patch (so still encrypted on the Tivo HD).

MFS_FTP is running fine, 1.2.9p will the rollup patch and 64-bit apps

I can grab the ty and ty+ or TMF files as still encrypted without problem.

Does TivoDecode work with TY, TY+ or TMF files?

TMF is the best choice, since it includes the Tivo Information about the show at the top of the archive.

-EDIT- Also, I cannot transfer programs from a std TivoHD to one with the NOCSO patch. As expected, they transfer, but show black screen
    and no progress when you try to play them.

-edit- So, if I apply the noCSO patch to both TivoHD's, will the old, encrypted shows, still transfer and play ok? I know new ones, unencrypted will transfer and play, but how about older ones?

-EDIT- No TivoDecode does NOT work with these files, and no other tools do either. The files I can pull with MFS_FTP and
    encrypted output transfer fast and come over, but NOTHING can decrypt them. They end up stored in the RID h/w encryption
    not based upon your MAK key.

The Tivo Desktop unencrypts the hw encryption and throws on DRM encryption. This is why it is so slow.

AFAIK, there in NO tool out to decrypt the h/w encrypted files.
    Last edited by philhu; 01-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Ok, so if I apply the noCSO patches to both TivoHDs, will it allow transfer of older encrypted shows between Tivos? I know the unencrypted newer shows will transfer ok, but what about older ones?

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    Ok, so if I apply the noCSO patches to both TivoHDs, will it allow transfer of older encrypted shows between Tivos? I know the unencrypted newer shows will transfer ok, but what about older ones?
    From recollection you can't transfer old shows as they are already encrypted.