Thread: Kernel Questions

Kernel Questions

I may be new to the TiVo hacking scene i am not new to computers.

I recently upgraded my TCD240080 from an 80GB 5400rpm drive to a 250GB 7200rpm drive, and i want to hack my TiVo.

This is how i understand how to do it:

1. Put the TiVo drive in an IDE machine and boot up with MFStools (or LBA 48)

2. Patch the Kernel (with killinitrd) so it does not check the filesystem at startup

3. Prevent Software Updates with the "bootpage" command

4. Install TiVo Tools

5. Replace the iptables on the TiVo with Hacked ones

6. Create a "rc.sysinit.author" file to add the telnet daemon (and other things) to the boot sequence

7. Install TiVoftpd (and add it to the rc.sysinit.author file)

8. Put The TiVo drive back in the TiVo, because from then on, all the hacks can be installed over ftp and telnet

My question was about the kernel. I have software version 9.3.2 and I was wondering what kernel version that was and where i could find it. I have a backup of my TiVo's Software, because i backed it up when i upgraded the drives. I've also heard that the paid version of the LBA 48 CD includes a lot of kernels. Help?

P.S. Can you also verify my method of hacking my TiVo?

Quote Originally Posted by ckrames1234 View Post

I recently upgraded my TCD240080 from an 80GB 5400rpm drive to a 250GB 7200rpm drive, and i want to hack my TiVo.

This is how i understand how to do it:

2. Patch the Kernel (with killinitrd) so it does not check the filesystem at startup

4. Install TiVo Tools

6. Create a "rc.sysinit.author" file to add the telnet daemon (and other things) to the boot sequence

8. Put The TiVo drive back in the TiVo, because from then on, all the hacks can be installed over ftp and telnet

My question was about the kernel. I have software version 9.3.2 and I was wondering what kernel version that was and where i could find it. I have a backup of my TiVo's Software, because i backed it up when i upgraded the drives. I've also heard that the paid version of the LBA 48 CD includes a lot of kernels. Help?

P.S. Can you also verify my method of hacking my TiVo?
    OK, lots of errors and ambiguities here. I'll touch on only a few.

You are confusing killinitrd and killhdinitrd. I suggest reading Cheer's roadmap. It's dated, but gives a good handle on what must be done.

Look in the Series 2 support forum for a thread titled something like 'Upgrading to 9.3'. That should have all the information you require on the kernel.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by ckrames1234 View Post
    no offense, but that doesn't really mean anything
    yep. mfslive iso is preferred
    nope. you want killhdinitrd
    a good idea, but not a permanent "fix", you'll still need to update your software eventually
    4. Install TiVo Tools
    also a good idea if you desire some of the basic linux commands
    yep. easy enough
    yep. again easy enough. only 1,000,000+ example .author files posted around here to get ideas from
    again, yep
    well of course, the tivo needs a drive right
    you'll need a 2.4.20 kernel to do a straight boot (3.1.5 or 7.2.2-oth-K1). if you dont monte to a newer kernel, you'll need to replace your network drivers. look for the "8.1 and my NIC" thread for a ridiculous amount of info on that