Thread: What is up with Lou at InstantCake?

Thumbs down What is up with Lou at InstantCake?

I purchased InstantCake to take the DIY out of my TIVO re-install. That is how it is advertised. Well, it didn't work and when I asked for help I was told InstantCake is a DIY issue and DVRUpgrade.com does not support DIY issues. So I complained on their forum and was BANNED.

My credit card was accepted.
    My request for support was denied.
    My request for a refund was ignored.
    I was banned.

STAY AWAY FROM INSTANTCAKE. Do a search and see all the people dissatisfied with this "product."

It should have worked as long as you downloaded the correct image for your Tivo and you followed the instructions. They do not give refunds for downloaded images, as stated on their website. It's up to you to pick the right one. If it didn't work then the most likely cause is either operator error or a hardware issue.

Instantcake is not a product that's widely used by the rank and file here because most of us have the sense to create a backup image of our Tivos while they're still working correctly. Lou provides a niche product and is the only authorized distributor of Tivo images. If you need one and don't have another source then he's the only game in town.

I have no idea what you posted in his forum to piss him off (or whomever happens to be moderating his forum at the moment) but you probably had to go the extra mile to do it. He's usually pretty reasonable to deal with, in my experience. Keep in mind that you are expected to understand what the process involves before you attempt it. Lou's not in business to hold your hand. The trick is to understand what's involved so you don't need to ask for help.

People that gripe about his products are usually clueless on what to do with them. Restoring a Tivo image is a DIY process, no matter what method you use. Instantcake just automates the process, making it simple even for a novice hacker. If you had difficulty using it then I would suggest rereading the instructions or finding another hobby.

FYI - The name of his company is DVRUpgrade. Instantcake is but one of the products he offers. Do a search on the number of dissatisfied customers and see how many of them are clueless newbies like yourself.
    Last edited by captain_video; 10-08-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

moved to proper forum

ronny

Although InstantCake is a DIY product and is offered without warranty or support directly from DVRupgrade, we've created this thread as a way to consolidate common support issues. We'll respond here and there and we hope other users of the software will as well. I think you'll find that most common problems are easily solved and there are only a few problems that people have. Remember, InstantCake is widely used by thousands of people, so if you are having a problem, be rest assured that it can be solved by following the advice in the subsequent pages.
    Lou is pretty clear. The product doesn't come with support although they help people who "play nice".

They don't offer support and they don't offer refunds.

If you asked nicely someone on the DVRupgrade forums or TCF would have helped you.

I'm sure Lou would have allowed you to re-download the product if your download was corrupt.

You didn't bother telling us what issues you were having, I guess you're not looking for help.

Most of us already have a backup image and have no reason to purchase instant cake. Any of the issues I've read are with people not know what they're doing and then having an attitude when asking for help.
    Last edited by newbie; 10-13-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Sorry this ended up in here. We actually did attempt to help this person. He was able to get the product working and was ultimately upset because we wouldn't give him one-on-one support to make modifications to the software to support an external modem solution. I did encourage him to use our forums (or TCF) and he promptly registered and because posting negative comments everywhere, including obscenities (that is why he was banned).

Ultimately, we had to block him from our helpdesk as well; the threats became upsetting to the two people who work for me and monitor our helpdesk.

It's unfortunate, but ironic that he did actually get InstantCake to work, he just didn't like that I wasn't going to put everyone else on hold to give him more personal assistance.

Anyway, sorry this ended up over here at DDB...

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by PTVupgrade View Post
    Sorry this ended up in here. We actually did attempt to help this person. He was able to get the product working and was ultimately upset because we wouldn't give him one-on-one support to make modifications to the software to support an external modem solution. I did encourage him to use our forums (or TCF) and he promptly registered and because posting negative comments everywhere, including obscenities (that is why he was banned).

Ultimately, we had to block him from our helpdesk as well; the threats became upsetting to the two people who work for me and monitor our helpdesk.

It's unfortunate, but ironic that he did actually get InstantCake to work, he just didn't like that I wasn't going to put everyone else on hold to give him more personal assistance.

Lou
    No worries there Lou.

It's clear that everyone here supports you and can vouch for you.

This matter should hopefully be considered settled. :-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Never gave it a second thought. I saw this guy posting at other forums and realized he's just a moron looking to vent his frustration. You've just got to consider the source and move on. You gotta know we all still love ya.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by PTVupgrade View Post

Lou
    Hey, I can vouch for your product. Although I manually did my DTivo units the old fashioned way, I did purchase your product to redo my Sister in laws TiVo and it was dead simple to use. I was up real quick setting up a 500GB drive. Why some folks get mad like this I don't know. My personal opinion, some folks just don't like reading or following instructions.

Smee

Something about hearing the other side of the story.

I bought ice cream on a hot summer day and by the time I got home it was melted. I took the cone back to DQ and they refused to refund my money but they did offer me another cone. I was so full from the first one there was no way I could eat another so I turned it down and reported them to the BBB.