Thread: Can't unlock 40gig Maxtor QuickView. Not for DVR.

Question Can't unlock 40gig Maxtor QuickView. Not for DVR.

I picked up a 40gig Maxtor QuickView drive at a thrift store for $5. All the computer guy there could tell me about it was it was "pulled from a DVR". He has some more of the same model drive.

Is there a newer version of MHD3 than 1.1? That gets to Sending master password with one dot then does the Unknown error thing.

I want to use the drive in a PC, if I can unlock it I'll buy a bunch more of these drives at $5 a pop.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

diskutil didn't work, claimed the drive wasn't locked. I then tried using it to Lock the drive, which it claimed it was able to do, then power cycled and tried Unlock again - "not locked". Pfaugh!

After doing some searching on TiVo unlocking I found qunlock http://www.arielbusiness.pwp.blueyon...TiVo/HowTo.htm

So far that's made more progress than mhdd, atapwd, HDDErase, and hdparm. Fdisk will run with the drive now instead of quitting with a fixed disk error, but trying to create a partition it keeps restarting checking the drive integrity.

I'd used mhdd's erase function with BIOS disabled to erase the drive, hoping that'd zap the protection. Nope.

HDDErase now does not hang, but it won't *do anything* it just keeps going around and around through the options.

Back to MHDD and I used its fdisk, the drive now shows as 9 megabytes. Hmmmm. Looks like back to TiVo information hunting.

Haven't you spent more time and aggravation on this than it's worth? For all you know, the drive may have fatal errors.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    Haven't you spent more time and aggravation on this than it's worth? For all you know, the drive may have fatal errors.
    Don't forget, you can't just run down to Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, or whatever and buy a 40 Gig drive anymore.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

True - can't buy a 540MB drive either. But I can buy a 400GB IDE drive without too much trouble. (Although, I don't need to - I have several 40GB pulls from DTiVos on my shelf...)
    Steve