Thread: Getting progs off a failed TiVo

Getting progs off a failed TiVo

Greetings

My original HD10-250 started to give a #762 error (bad Direct TV card reader)

So I bought a new one and went to change the hard drives - old TiVo had msf_ftp and was hacked. Now on new machine I need to delete all of my programs from the disk before the new tivo will let me record any shows. It also won't let me playback any of the previously recorded shows.

OK I thought - download all the videos and then do the 'delete all' and I will have best of both worlds - a working TiVo and my favourite files I was storing on old TiVo.

Here is the rub ! The USB network adapter doesn't seem to work withe the old disk. Put in a clone of that disk and do the 'delete all' and the usb network is fine. Use the new disk withe he new Tivo and all is also fine - I had to load mfs_ftp on the new drive but all worked OK.

Any ideas how I get my files off the old TiVo disk - or are they lost for ever in that place tired electrons go ?

Quote Originally Posted by DD2000 View Post
    Greetings

My original HD10-250 started to give a #762 error (bad Direct TV card reader)

So I bought a new one and went to change the hard drives - old TiVo had msf_ftp and was hacked. Now on new machine I need to delete all of my programs from the disk before the new tivo will let me record any shows. It also won't let me playback any of the previously recorded shows.

OK I thought - download all the videos and then do the 'delete all' and I will have best of both worlds - a working TiVo and my favourite files I was storing on old TiVo.

Here is the rub ! The USB network adapter doesn't seem to work withe the old disk. Put in a clone of that disk and do the 'delete all' and the usb network is fine. Use the new disk withe he new Tivo and all is also fine - I had to load mfs_ftp on the new drive but all worked OK.

Any ideas how I get my files off the old TiVo disk - or are they lost for ever in that place tired electrons go ?
    Since the old drive was hacked (and presumably encryption was disabled) run 51killer from a bash prompt. Now you will be able to record AND view the old recordings. Good luck on the USB problem.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    Since the old drive was hacked (and presumably encryption was disabled) run 51killer from a bash prompt. Now you will be able to record AND view the old recordings. Good luck on the USB problem.

PlainBill
    Problem is I cannot get a connection to the machine when the old drive is in there - network on USB doesn't become active - no little green light

No serial cable?

Problem is I cannot get a connection to the machine when the old drive is in there - network on USB doesn't become active - no little green light
    Three solutions:

1. Fix the problem with the USB adapter.

2. As Soapm suggested, serial bash.

3. Run 51 killer from rc.sysinit.author. If you are clever, you may have the edited rc.sysinit.author to replace itself with the original, so you won't have to pull the drive twice.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

USB works fine when the disk that has been "Delete all" has been used. SO the problem is software not hardware - was hoping there was a small fix to activate the USB. I am guessing that without an active card inserted - or - the MBoard serial number doesn't match = USB disabled as well as the record feature being disabled (until "delete all")

USB works fine when the disk that has been "Delete all" has been used. SO the problem is software not hardware - was hoping there was a small fix to activate the USB. I am guessing that without an active card inserted - or - the MBoard serial number doesn't match = USB disabled as well as the record feature being disabled (until "delete all")
    OK, you've convinced me that the USB problem is tied to the mismatched serial number. Now all you have to do is decide if you want to run 51killer from Serial bash or from rc.sysinit.author.

PlainBill