Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacked TivoHD to see why slow net performance

35 Hacked TivoHD to see why slow net performance

Hi

I have finally hacked my TivoHD unit so I can check out why I get very poor network performance from it to my PC.

I have a full gig network, using HP Procurve units. Transfers from my NAS to my PC are 45mBps (Bytes) or so.

Well, I was getting very slow xfers from Tivo to TivoDesktop, and then mostly failures during the transfer.

So, I hacked it to look at the logs.

Avg transfer rate is 7.8mbps (bits). I know the TivoHD only has a 100mbps nic but less than 8????

Looking at tvlog, I see this:
    Dec 15 04:09:38 (none) TvMediaNetworkModule.C[1327]: TransferStatus(TTG), id 1581389576, nt 1, 4328884505 of 7818182656 bytes, 55.3%, 7.68 Mb/s, 01:24:12 Dec 15 04:10:50 (none) TvMpeg.C[1327]: Mpeg(0x5e0eac00): 004390543067: I/O Error: Connection reset by peer
    Dec 15 04:10:50 (none) TvMediaNetworkTransferOutMpeg[1327]: (1581389576) Mpeg Error: (0:Connection reset by peer) I/O: YES)
    Dec 15 04:10:50 (none) TvMediaNetworkTransfer[1327]: (1581389576) Stalling due to I/O error
    Dec 15 04:10:50 (none) TvMediaNetworkTransfer[1327]: (1581389576) Sending Interrupt event
    Dec 15 04:10:50 (none) TvMediaNetworkTransfer[1327]: (1581389576) resume window of 4389708831 - 4390101551
    Dec 15 04:10:50 (none) TvMediaNetworkModule.C[1327]: Stop Transfer 1581389576, transferTime 01:25:24
    Dec 15 04:10:50 (none) TvHttpDownloadActivity[421]: interrupt: start=4389708831, end=4390101551, size=383Kb

I have tried to transfer the same 13 shows over and over, and they constantly fail.

Where should I look?

I am running the stock kernel 11.0d, stock drivers, etc. Only thing I've done is the CCI patch, the prom and the kernel program check.

What are anyones suggestions? I know the network is solid, everything else, even to the pc, seems to be acceptable timings. I even tried putting the tivoHD in the same switch as the pc, to see if it was faster or transfers can finish, same errors. Even tried 3 different switches, 2 brands.

I am at a loss.

Phil
    Last edited by philhu; 12-15-2009 at 12:57 AM.

custom kernel + mfs_ftp/mfs_utils

there will be a noticeable improvement

2 things....

1) I did a tivo to tivo transfer, got 26.5mbps, why?

2) Can't find mfs-ftp for S3, S2 links seem removed too.

Anyone point me at the program and, if I recall, the patches needed to make it run?

1) TD sux...also, tivo to tivo transfers don't suffer the slowdown imposed by TD's re-encoding and encrypting of the stream...it's more or less a straight "copy" from box to box

2) jkozee posted a comprehensive patch towards the end of the main mfs_ftp thread. for a TivoHD, you'll need the 64bit mfs_utils that jamie posted in the files thread

I typically use vserver on the tivo, and mfs_uberexport on the command line from the pc

pretty easy to cook up a perl or shell script for automated or batch extraction using those utils

looks like I'm repeating myself...
    Last edited by jt1134; 12-15-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Sure, there are faster alternatives to TD. But the "Connection reset by peer" message indicates to me that there is an underlying networking issue. The connections are getting dropped, which implies to me that the network connection is unstable.

Jamie, thanks for the reply.

As I said though, I've even connected the tivo to the same switch as the pc.

I am starting to suspect the PC NIC card. I am going to replace it this weekend. I was seeing some other suspicious behavior with it during the summer. Like drops to 100mbps from 1gbps and back a few times. I thought it was cables, but not.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    Jamie, thanks for the reply.

As I said though, I've even connected the tivo to the same switch as the pc.

I am starting to suspect the PC NIC card. I am going to replace it this weekend. I was seeing some other suspicious behavior with it during the summer. Like drops to 100mbps from 1gbps and back a few times. I thought it was cables, but not.
    Yeah, renegotiating speed could likely cause connection resets. You might be able to fix the speed via driver configuration options.

I like Intel NIC's. The cost a little more, but they are solid. Should be able to pick one up for $30-$40, I think, in either PCI or PCIe.

Ok, for grins, I installed, patched, version fixed mfs_ftp

It dies in about 4 seconds with the following on the screen:

TIVOBDRM:/var/mfs_ftp# pico mfs_ftp.tcl
    TIVOBDRM:/var/mfs_ftp# rm port.3105.log
    TIVOBDRM:/var/mfs_ftp# mfs_ftp.tcl
    TIVOBDRM:/var/mfs_ftp# cat port.3105.log
    TIVOBDRM:/var/mfs_ftp# child process exited abnormally
    while executing
    "exec $info(path)/tzoffset.tcl 2>/dev/null"
    (procedure "get_tzoffset" line 10)
    invoked from within
    "get_tzoffset"
    (procedure "init_procs" line 7)
    invoked from within
    "init_procs"
    (file "./mfs_ftp.tcl" line 1570)
    cat port.3105.log
    04:28:17:AM - sourcing settings
    04:28:17:AM - init: 1.2.9p-patchlevel-20080512 - TiVo_OS 11.0d-01-2-652
    04:28:17:AM - this tivo version "11.x" mfspath set to /Recording/NowShowingByClassic
    04:28:17:AM - get_tzoffset:

Any ideas what I obviously did wrong? Patch went in without errors..... 1.2.9p patched.

You need a tzoffset.txt file in the same directory as mfs_ftp.tcl. It's trying to generate one for you and is failing. The easiest thing to do is to just type it in by hand. See this post, for example.

hi

Thanks for the help

EDIT - This is working fine. I saw it exit, and thought mfs_ftp had stopped, but it runs fine.

Stats - I am getting 3.3mBps (33mbps) using a TivoHD to my PC! I was seeing 7-10mbps and failures

I am transferring as tmf files. I don't understand asx vs. xml. They both are very small files. XML is obviously the same XML in the tmf archive that shows all the program stats.

And I am assuming you use tysuite to convert from tms to mpeg2? I need mpeg2 or 4 to use these files with pytivo (a file transcode utility that displays in your NPL)
    Last edited by philhu; 12-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.

I am transferring as tmf files. I don't understand asx vs. xml. They both are very small files. XML is obviously the same XML in the tmf archive that shows all the program stats.

And I am assuming you use tysuite to convert from tms to mpeg2? I need mpeg2 or 4 to use these files with pytivo (a file transcode utility that displays in your NPL)
    I use bcc's tytompg which handles tmf files: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51740

You could also use s3tots if for some reason you wanted transport streams.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Those are cool

I should mention, I have 2 TivoHD, so I am reluctant to put in the unencrypt patches as I heard it breaks old recordings and MRV?

So, I was using tivodesktop and TivoDecode with my MAK to make straight mpeg files.

So, if I take the unencrypt patch plunge:
    1) Will MRV break?
    2) Will I still be able to xfer/watch old encrypted shows? Between tivos/Thru TivoDesktop?
    3) I also heard the converts are 3x faster due to no encryption, true?
    4) Are .ty files close enought to .tivo files to use TivoDecode on them?

I've been reading and reading, but get lost in the details over newer details....

I should mention, I have 2 TivoHD, so I am reluctant to put in the unencrypt patches as I heard it breaks old recordings and MRV?
    partially true in some cases

So, if I take the unencrypt patch plunge:
    1) Will MRV break?
    only between hacked & unhacked boxes. 2 hacked boxes will MRV just fine

2) Will I still be able to xfer/watch old encrypted shows? Between tivos/Thru TivoDesktop?
    yup
    3) I also heard the converts are 3x faster due to no encryption, true?
    something like that
    4) Are .ty files close enought to .tivo files to use TivoDecode on them?
    nope. completely different container format

> 4) Are .ty files close enought to .tivo files to use TivoDecode on them?
    >nope. completely different container format

Thats what I was afraid of.

So, assuming I use mfs_ftp to transfer ENCRYPTED shows over (NO CSO patch installed), how would one change them over to mpeg/mpeg2? I know tmf files are really a container for a xml text header of show information and a bunch of ty pieces to be concatenated, so retrieving that to text and a ty is almost trivial.

But even if I have that, it is an encrypted TY, so how do I unencrypt it?

Also, will Tivo Desktop transfer unencrypted programs? And if yes, with any speed improvements since no encryption?
    Last edited by philhu; 12-16-2009 at 12:07 PM.

But even if I have that, it is an encrypted TY, so how do I unencrypt it?
    This is tivo's native ondisk hardware supported encryption. As far as I know, there aren't any public tools for decrypting it off tivo. You really need the nocso patch if you want to go this route.
    Also, will Tivo Desktop transfer unencrypted programs? And if yes, with any speed improvements since no encryption?
    Yes, TiVo desktop will transfer them. They get reencrypted with the Qualcomm cipher during the transfer. No speed improvement.