Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobody home at DDB?

Nobody home at DDB?

It would appear that this site has been abandoned. The admins don't respond to spam reports and email sent to the "contact" emails gets no reply. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
    Steve

ronnythunder is a mod and is still active here.

The spam has been annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
    It was better than "nice." Tridge, and what his work made possible. Mfs_ftp.tcl, a whole bunch of other stuff. Vadim's philosophy of open discussion and the toleration of newbies, some of whom became excellent developers.

MRV, Tivo2go and back. It all started here.

The new DirecTV Tivo is likely to be closed, but if there's a crack it will be found and exploited here.

If not, I'd like to see the site preserved as a museum documenting a period of time where a video provider (Tivo) actually allowed their customers' interests to be served.

With the inclusion of MRV and TivoToGo with the latest Tivo models and the demise of the DirecTV Tivos, there is little incentive to hack a Tivo these days, IMHO, at least for the vast majority of Tivo owners. The main reason I wanted to hack a Tivo was to increase the storage capacity and extract videos to my PC. Now that the mystery has been taken out of both types of hacks I don't even bother rehacking my S3 Tivos every time a new software update gets installed. Direct extraction is definitely much faster than using TTG, but I do it so seldom these days that it's hardly worth the effort to keep the Tivos hacked.

There is still a niche crowd that likes to dabble, but the numbers are dwindling, especially since many of the older hacks are now part of the Tivo OS. Hence, the lack of high volume traffic that these forums once enjoyed. If and when DirecTV does introduce a new Tivo model I would suspect that the hackers would get back into full swing and DDB would come alive once again.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    With the inclusion of MRV and TivoToGo with the latest Tivo models and the demise of the DirecTV Tivos, there is little incentive to hack a Tivo these days, IMHO, at least for the vast majority of Tivo owners. ...
    A lot of cable users are affected by CCI byte imposed copy restrictions which makes MRV and TTG unusable for most of their recordings. That remains a compelling reason to hack, if you are affected by it.
    Last edited by Jamie; 12-23-2009 at 10:56 AM.

I'm kinda losing interest in tivos in general because I've been developing a huge interest in a front end/back end pvr setup, that and as time progresses I think tivo is more about "tv our way" rather than their moto "tv your way" suggests. That said I'm wanting to move to an HTPC based DVR setup, but right now all of the implementations suck for one reason or another.

Linux solutions have terrible hardware support (mainly because the vendors don't make linux drivers available,) and for windows solutions you seem to be given a choice between having a lot of features and a piss poor user interface (sagetv,) or a good interface and hardly any features (windows media center.) Can't have it all I guess.

XBMC is probably the most robust video player out there, and it's available on nearly every platform too. Handles nearly any file you can throw at it beautifully, and the default video playback settings put everything else to shame with virtually zero seek problems, all with a really sleek user interface. That said, I can't wait until the pvr-testing branch matures, which promises to make XBMC a functioning front end for nearly any kind of back end you want.

I really wish I had a fun way of learning other programming languages besides just the current scripting languages I know, and in a way that doesn't cost anything for me to learn it and doesn't involve spending hours reading textbooks. I'd like to work on these projects in that manner, much in the same way I was working on various tivo projects in the day.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Alpha, does this mean you won't be my personal tech support any longer?

lawl probably not
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    A lot of cable users are affected by CCI byte imposed copy restrictions which makes MRV and TTG unusable for most of their recordings. That remains a compelling reason to hack, if you are affected by it.
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because I have FIOS. So far, they haven't imposed any DRM issues on any of my recordings. Aside from that, I have a huge library of shows that I have extracted from my Tivos over the years and burned to DVD. They mostly go unwatched and take up space, with just a few exceptions. I bought a Blu-Ray burner about six months ago and I have yet to burn a single disc with it. I also have NetFlix so I can get any movie or TV show that's been released on DVD or Blu-Ray for less than the monthly Tivo fees. I can also get any recent shows I may have missed via torrent sites.

I'm of the same mindset as Alpha when it comes to HTPCs. I built my first one about three years ago and use my S3 Tivos to supplement the recording chores on several FIOS channels. If and when the new CableCARD tuners make their debut, I intend to upgrade my HTPC with a quad-tuner model and dump the Tivos. I love my Tivos but I don't see the logic in paying for a service that is freely available with an HTPC. It gives me far more flexibility and a wider range of features, some of which are only available in a Tivo via hacking methods.

BTW, Merry Christmas to all my friends at DDB.
    Last edited by captain_video; 12-25-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

If there are any active mods in this forum, they sure are keeping to themselves. It used to be that the spam was taken care of quickly, but now the carder spam remains with impunity. I have had zero response to spam reports or to mail sent to the forum admins.

As for the content of the forum - it is mostly of academic/nostalgia interest to me. I do have a hacked HR10, but don't expect to be doing any future hacking with it. I'm loathe to just remove DDB from my list, but if most everyone else is abandoning it, perhaps that may be the best course.

I wish I had FiOS. Well, I do - for data - but Verizon abandoned northern New England and sold the customer base off to Fairpoint, which is the poster child for "clueless ISP". Actually, I'm pretty happy with DirecTV and the HR21. My wife prefers TiVo, but she is using the HR21 more and more. We'll probably get the new DirecTV TiVo, if it appears in my lifetime (seeming increasingly doubtful) and doesn't suck too much. I don't expect it will be hackable.
    Steve

yes, ronny is still here occasionally, but he has work and family and all.

sorry about all the spam; i usually try to whack it at least daily, but i've been lax. fwiw, the spam reports do *not* come to me (i guess it's just admins, of which i'm not); the only way i see it is if i go and look. i'll try to whack it more often in the future.

the other problems, sadly, i can't help with much. i still have an hr10 and a couple of sd dtivos that are mostly just wasting power; since i'm directv's b*tch, my only hope for more tivos is the alleged new directivo (if it ever gets here). like stevel, i'm on to the hr2x boxes for now.

i, too, pine for the old days, but they're probably gone.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    Vadim's philosophy of open discussion and the toleration of newbies, some of whom became excellent developers.
    I did notice that the level of activity of DDB is fairly low. However, whenever I have a question, 90% of the time I get an answer.

I found the comment above about "toleration of newbies" interesting. Everybody has to start as a beginner. Now, some may already have linux experience and hence, they'd have an easier time getting into Tivo hacking. However, if you don't let newbies participate and ask questions, then the next generation of DDB participants will die off.

So far, I've received friendly responses to my newbie questions. Some may require more research on my part or an additional question, but I've never gotten a nasty response like "use the search function".

The amount of information at DDB is vast. Some of it is dated, and the good info is difficult to find at times. I thought that a wikipedia-type of site would make sense, but even dvrpedia.com suffers from dated information. Maintaining such a site would be a gargantuan effort and all for the benefit of mostly newbies. I understand that DDB is not necessarily geared towards newbies.

In any case, I just thought I'd post some ideas, as I struggle through the tivo hacking process.

Happy new year to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by garrubal View Post
    Everybody has to start as a beginner. Now, some may already have linux experience and hence, they'd have an easier time getting into Tivo hacking. However, if you don't let newbies participate and ask questions, then the next generation of DDB participants will die off.
    Vadim, the owner of this forum, strongly believed that. His advice to the old-timers who expressed annoyance in response to beginners' questions was: If it's that painful to you, don't read them. Those who want to help, help; otherwise shut up.

Unfortunately he was not a hands-on forum operator, and some of his subordinates at times forgot that message, and an infamous tone was set here. Though many newbies persevered, some who might eventually have made contributions were run off, so the base of quality contributors now in the lean time is not as broad as it might have been.

The technically proficient members who _are_ around now, while few in number compared to the early years, are very patient and helpful.

Why are many saying the new directivo will be unhackable? I don't really know anything about it as I've never paid attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    Why are many saying the new directivo will be unhackable? I don't really know anything about it as I've never paid attention to it.
    DirecTV don't think "outside the box." They prefer a closed system, nothing accessible to hack. It's likely the new DTivo will simply be a variation of their locked-down HR2x. Some suggest it will _be_ an HR2x, with the Tivo presence being purely software, and a cosmetically different faceplate and a peanut remote.

Obviously many of us are hoping for better.