Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ncidd (CallerID) stops working after 3-4 days

Ncidd (CallerID) stops working after 3-4 days

It is still loaded, but stops grabbing/displaying callier ID

The ncidd.log in /var/log doesnt even show the call. This is on the server version as well as the client version (I've seen the server Tivo keep working and the client one not)

A reboot or killall the ncidd apps and restarting seems to work

For now I set up a cron to run on Tues/thurs/Sun at 3am th killall the ncidd stuff and restart it, but it sure is annoying
    Last edited by philhu; 01-22-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Mines does this also, I didn't think to have Cron restart it weekly. Great idea.

Are you running NCID-0.75? It has a fix to prevent a client (usually windows) from terminating the server if not shut down properly. If you are not running the latest version, install it and it should fix your problem. Version 0.76 will be released soon and it has additional server modifications to either fix a TiVo modem ignore problem or help in tracking it down. The modem problem seems to only happen on TiVo's with a software hack running fakecall.

If the new version of NCID does not fix your problem, email me the output of "pgrep -fl ncid" and the ncidd.log file at sourceforge when the problem happens.
    John

Yes, 0.75.

The client version or the server version just stops working. Not related to each other at all.

They bothstill show running on the 2 respective boxes, but they stop responding. Nothing in the log after it freezes, just running and doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    Yes, 0.75.

The client version or the server version just stops working. Not related to each other at all.

They bothstill show running on the 2 respective boxes, but they stop responding. Nothing in the log after it freezes, just running and doing nothing.
    It always helps to know a little about your setup. Are you using the modem or sip2ncid to input the CID information to the server? If you are using the modem, are you using it for anything else?

For reference, I also need this information:
    1: does ps or pgrep show ncid and ncidd running?
    2: does /var/log/cidcall.log indicate the missed calls?
    3: does /var/log/ncidd.log show any additional messages from normal?
    4: if using sip2ncid instead of a modem, does it indicate the missed calls?

I will assume you are using the modem and that the log file you talked about is cidcall.log. Since both ncid and ncidd are running and the cidcall.log file does not get a update when the call comes in, the server is either not getting any input or it thinks the modem is busy. Execute the following three steps (if your lockfile is different use the lockfile name you configured), verify the modem becomes busy then free in ncidd.log, call yourself and check if NCID is working again.
    Code:
    touch /var/tmp/modemlock
    sleep 1
    rm [/var/tmp/modemlock
    If the above fixes the problem, then it is likely the modem lost its configuration for Caller ID. Maybe another program used it or maybe the modem has a problem.
    John

I will try it, but I don't think it loses its config.

YAC doesnt ever fail when I try that.

I will try it, but I don't think it loses its config.

YAC doesnt ever fail when I try that.
    The test determines if NCID can recover by resetting the modem. There could be other causes for the problem. You also need to inspect ncidd.log and see if it has anything.

You can run the YAC server with the yac2ncid gateway as its client and see if the problem goes away. If you decide to try YAC to input the modem data, you need to set noserial to 1 in ncidd.conf.
    John

Update...

I updated to 0.76 and it still does the same problem.

Logs show nothing. Just stops showing calls coming in. Acts like someone pulled the telephone cord. It runs, but nothing shows in logs when the phone rings.

Update...

Logs show nothing. Just stops showing calls coming in. Acts like someone pulled the telephone cord. It runs, but nothing shows in logs when the phone rings.
    Just a thought.. I have a CRON entry that resets my NCID each day. Seems to have solved this for me.

I tried that

had problems getting ncidd pid

can you post the batch job you use?

Thanks

Update...

I would like to see your ncidd.log file to review the modem in use/free times. You can email it it me at sourceforge.

If you need the ncidd pid, you can have it create a pid file by starting ncidd with the pid option, for example:
    Code:
    ncidd -P /var/run/ncidd.pid
    John

Hi

It just did it again, so I setup the pid stuff. I'll grab the ncidd.log and ship it to you before I restart it

To restart, do I have to kill the ncid tasks too, or just ncidd?

What exact address to email too? I can't remember the sourceforge addy.

Thanks
    Last edited by philhu; 03-19-2010 at 08:51 AM.

It just did it again, so I setup the pid stuff. I'll grab the ncidd.log and ship it to you before I restart it
    Thanks for sending me your ncidd.log file. It showed that the modem dropped out of Caller ID mode. The server was not hung, it was waiting for the modem to send it the Caller ID. When you restart ncidd, it sets the modem to Caller ID again.

I do not know what program is causing the modem to reset. Maybe it is when the TiVo calls home. If someone who has this problem could do a quick test and post the result: make sure ncidd is running, then force the TiVo to call home, then check if it can still receive calls.

I am not sure if the TiVo still uses a modem lockfile or what the current name is, but if it does, ncidd can be configured to look at it. I attached my old ncid-workaround script that should fix the problem when it is run manually or out of cron.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John

It may be possible to fix the modem problem by writing the reset sequence that will enable Caller ID to the modem so whenever it is reset it enables the Caller ID mode. Can anyone with the problem try this? It is possible to configure ncidd to do it.
    John

My tivo upgraded it's system software to 11.0g (both of them actually), so I've lost ncidd and telnet access.

I'll continue testing as soon as I wrestle access back from Tivo (Gotta pull drives again to load telnet).