Thread: TiVO Series 2 help

TiVO Series 2 help

Can anybody tell me if the TiVO Series 2 will work on my Westinghouse Flat Screen TV? My last TiVO, unknown series, was first hooked up to a standard Bulky TV. But when that went out, I had to purchase a new tv. I purchased a Westinghouse HD-Ready Flat Screen TV. So when I tried to hook up my Tivo to the new TV, the serial cable that comes from the back of the TiVO to the TV wouldn't fit into the serial connection on the TV. So I ended up getting rid of the TiVo I was using and went to my cable company's DVR.

I hate the cable company's DVR. I want my TiVO back. I have the chance to buy a TiVO Series 2 Tivo but I am not sure if that is what I had in the first place. Any suggestions out there??

John

This begs the question, why are you trying to connect the serial cable between your Tivo and the TV? There's no reason why your Tivo won't work with the Westinghouse TV unless you somehow expect the TV to be able to control the Tivo in some way. The serial connection on the Tivo is meant to control a set top box for changing channels to allow recording on the Tivo from the STB. It's got nothing to do with your TV.

If you've got a HDTV then consider getting the Tivo HD instead of the series 2 model. The S2 Tivo is only standard definition whereas the Tivo HD is, well, HD. It can also record SD channels.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    why are you trying to connect the serial cable between your Tivo and the TV?
    I doubt that he is. He is more likely misusing the word "serial."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOldridgeJr View Post
    Can anybody tell me if the TiVO Series 2 will work on my Westinghouse Flat Screen TV? My last TiVO, unknown series, was first hooked up to a standard Bulky TV. But when that went out, I had to purchase a new tv. I purchased a Westinghouse HD-Ready Flat Screen TV. So when I tried to hook up my Tivo to the new TV, the serial cable that comes from the back of the TiVO to the TV wouldn't fit into the serial connection on the TV. So I ended up getting rid of the TiVo I was using and went to my cable company's DVR.

I hate the cable company's DVR. I want my TiVO back. I have the chance to buy a TiVO Series 2 Tivo but I am not sure if that is what I had in the first place. Any suggestions out there??

John
    Find the manual for your TV. Hook an S-video output on the TiVo to an S-video input on the TV. Hook the L & R audio outputs of the TiVo to the appropriate L & R audio inputs of the TV. Using the TV's remote select the composite input you choose.

Now this is NOT as good a picture as you would get with an HD source, but it will work.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.