Thread: Installed xtreme25 but cant install 2.5.2

Installed xtreme25 but cant install 2.5.2

I had no trouble installing xtreme 2.5 but when I goto install 2.5.2 it gives me the error that hda is write protected which is my cdrom drive and the tivo drive is hdb. I have tried every possible way of hooking the drives in my pc. If i make cd drive hdb and tivo drive hda i wont get that error but the software does not give an option to install to hda has to be hdb, hdc, or hdd. I only have 1 ide controller in my pc so cdrom is set as master and tivo drive as slave. I have tried doing it on another pc with a secondary controller but still had the same issue. I had the tivo running at one point with 3.1 installed (and I dont remember what i did then to make it work) but was having problems so I re installed back to 2.5 just cant get 2.5.2 on there.

Also afterwords if I go to the cd directory and run the upgrd252.sh from there it will then load but after I type in hdb for the target to install to it gives me another error "boot parm on hdb unrecongized" and then it quits.
    Last edited by jessekenyon; 03-01-2010 at 07:18 PM.

This begs the question, why are you installing an outdated version of the DirecTivo OS? You need at least version 3.1 to work with any of the current access cards, IIRC.

Trying to upgrade an old Tivo IDE drive on a newer PC that's geared more for SATA drives can sometimes be an exercise in futility. Your best bet would be to see if you can get your hands on an older PC with two IDE buses. If you don't have access to one you can get one on ebay that has everything you need to hack a Tivo for next to nothing. I keep an old AMD single core Duron PC around for just that purpose.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I have tried it on an older computer with 2 ide channels as I said above. That didn't help. I have installed it before on this same pc but now for some reason it wont. 2.5.2 is what came on the tivo when i purchased it many years ago off ebay. It has worked fine. Then the hard drives were going out so I found an old 200 gig ide maxtor i had laying around from an upgrade on a pc many years ago. So I set that up with 3.1. It was working for awhile but then my parents who are the ones using it said it kept restarting and or freezing. I dont exactly what it was doing as I didn't see it happen myself. I wanted to try putting back the old os and leave it hooked up all day to see if it ran smoothly. Then again it is possible this old drive is also going out. I have had a few hard drives die on me in my pc's so I dont know if this was a bad drive or if i just upgraded to a bigger one. I'm not gonna spend $100 for a new drive when I can just buy a new dvr from directv for the same price. Now 2.5 is installed currently and running fine from the short time i tried it. Except it says the dvr function is disabled cause it needs to call and 2.5 does not have the xplusz codes. What happens if I just let directv update it through the phone? I dont really care about any hacked features just want a working tivo. I know it dont support 200gb drive but it will use the most of it, it can. One problem I was having with 3.1 it kept giving an error that it hasn't made a successful call in over 30 days and the dvr service would be shut off. But in the log it said It has made a call and I know it did cause i manualy did it before. I dont think i had nophone activated but i had a phone line connected.

So what is the newest version of the OS now? I didn't think there was any more past 3.1 I just have a cd that came with my tivo when i bought it that has xtreme 25, 2.5.2 upgrade and 3.1 upgrade on it. If i remember the person who sold it to me said they didn't put 3.1 on it cause it wouldn't work with the lifetime subscription so they put 2.5.2 back on it.

In case you want to know I have a Phillips DSR6000-R01 with a single 200GB Maxtor hard drive
    Last edited by jessekenyon; 03-03-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Ok never mind on the current version. I see for a series 1 it is 3.5c? I am considering buying the download of instantcake for $20. I dont have any idea where you find images and Im sure it will take forever for it do update on the tivo through the phone line.

UPDATE:

Just wanted to say I have ran seagate tools on the drive and it passed all tests so I assume the drive is good.
    Last edited by jessekenyon; 03-04-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Check the ribbon cable between the power supply and the mainboard. You'll have to pull the drive rack out to access it. The cable contacts tend to tarnish over time and cause reboot problems. The cable is simply inserted in the connectors on both boards. Pull it out and clean the contacts with a pencil erasor. Flip the cable end for end and reinsert it. You may have to repeat the process several times before it settles down and stops rebooting.

Instantcake is a good source for images if you don't have anything recent. I recall updating my S1 DTivos a while ago and I think I started with an earlier version of 3.5 and then let it update over the phone. I do remember that it took several hours to complete the download.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks. Yeah I know about the ribbon cable I had that problem when I first got the tivo shipped to me but it isn't rebooting continuously like then but I will clean it anyways to be sure. I'm guessing even with instantcake i will run into the same install problems as it installs the same way?

I downloaded instantcake 3.5d and it installed with no problems. Just went in advance mode to tell it where I had my drives connected. Tivo seems to be running smoothly so far.

UPDATE:

Nevermind after running it for awhile I noticed it was getting a bit hot according to the internal temp sensor reading. I forgot to plug the fan back in so I unplugged it and hooked the fan back up. When I restarted the tivo it gave me the green severe error screen. I am allowing it to try and repair itself without the phone connected. But maybe i do need a new hard drive after all. Thing is I can get a new directv dvr from them directly for $99. Dont see much point in buying a new hard drive for close to the amount when I can just order a new dvr which will be more modern then a old series 1 tivo. I personaly use the HD version of directv's DVR. The tivo was my old dvr that i gave to my parents to use.

UPDATE 2:

After over an hour the tivo repaired itself and is up and running again. Time will tell if it continues to stay stable.
    Last edited by jessekenyon; 03-05-2010 at 10:22 PM.