Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Series4 (TiVo Premiere) Development Thread

The key is to robustly identify (if possible) the handover point from signals that come purely from the SATA bus. Perhaps a box like this might do the trick:

http://teledynelecroy.com/protocolan...id=103&mid=511

If it is possible, then figure out how to program an FPGA to look for the handover point and drive a SATA hardware switch to select between the real hard drive and a small FLASH SATA drive that contains the modified kernel. The modified kernel would know to issue a special ATA command to switch back to the disk drive that the FPGA would also look for.

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post

In the absence of such a wiki (and to make good on my suggestion to pose your question), here's a rough run-down of the boot process any some history of some of the exploits from the past decade:

Awesome post. It brings me up to speed on this topic after being away for years.

The board facilitates discussion, but is not as good a repository.
    In the absence of of a wiki, this information is sticky worthy if it gets future updates. Searching is really problematic as you often find an old post that has outdated and currently untrue information. It takes eons to determine the actual current state of affairs.

An unrelated topic, but case in point, I have been searching for hours to determine if a series 3 can do a 2tb+2tb drive setup and no definitive answer yet. Most searches say 1TB is the biggest you can do but weaknees sells a 2TB internal. This is merely empirically showing how the forum is a poor repository.

Although certainly more difficult, the SATA injection device seems the most interesting. It seems that once engineered that it would become difficult to implement additional security steps to defeat it, although certainly new models would require a modified device. This also has the added benefit of potentially pulling in more developers who are currently unwilling to take a soldering iron to their tivo.

My .02

Wouldn't you know it. I posted a link and all of the TiVo hacker nuts looking at it crashed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig View Post
    Wouldn't you know it. I posted a link and all of the TiVo hacker nuts looking at it crashed it.
    Google Cache still works. ;-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

I'm *still* looking for high resolution photos of a quad tuner TiVo such as the Premiere 4, previously known as the Premiere Elite.

If one of you folk have these, please stop for a moment and post some complete photos of the various parts of the board.

Edit: This is the kind of thing that allows research efforts like this to stagnate. If you are interested in seeing this work, don't just lurk. Participate. If you don't have the time, donate. :-)
    Last edited by Omikron; 02-13-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

That poor CPU...ifi

In case anyone was curious, we've now sacrificed a number of Premiere's while trying to extract hardware components for analysis.

This beaten and battered CPU is from number three:

IMG_0616.jpg

The battle scars you see were not inflicted by me, but by other research partners who have been trying to figure out a away to separate the die from the carrier. The acids we're using get very useless very quickly with all of that crap around it.
    .-=Omikron=-.

So here I am looking for extra chips to decap and I come along this: http://parts.americaii.com/PartDetai...CM7413ZKFEB01G

According to their very professional and trustworthy website, they have they carry the highest quality BCM7413ZKFEB01G available!

Oh man, I am so sick of these part search engines...
    .-=Omikron=-.

What would really be golden is if someone made a SATA to ATA over Ethernet adapter. With that and a bit of hacking on the linux aoe target software and you'd have a solution using the "read twice" hack approach. Unfortunately, it appears no one makes such a useful bit of hardware. Everything I've found only adapts in the other direction. What? Nobody wants to attach legacy clients to an AoE SAN?

What would really be golden is if someone made a SATA to ATA over Ethernet adapter. With that and a bit of hacking on the linux aoe target software and you'd have a solution using the "read twice" hack approach. Unfortunately, it appears no one makes such a useful bit of hardware. Everything I've found only adapts in the other direction. What? Nobody wants to attach legacy clients to an AoE SAN?
    Your post made me smile because I went through the same thought process last week and probably performed the same searches you did just now. :-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

oops duplicate
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 02-14-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: duplicate
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Hmm...so people are entertaining my disk spoofing idea from several years back it seems

I've been doing datacenter work recently and I've liked the idea of that. I just built a 4x3TB RAID-Z array using seagate st3000dm001 disks (I know, seagate - EVIL! but hey they were relatively cheap, thanks to best buy's generosity.) and even on a weaker i3 3220 CPU it performs quite well with sequential reads hitting speeds slightly better than my SSD's.

I've largely done away with my tivos though (because of CCI crippling my hdhomerun, I have mostly moved to sickbeard and couchpotato, both of which work so well that I have moved my tivo's into the smaller bedrooms, with one of them no longer in use) but I do enjoy looking on the progress of my past exploits now and then.

Brushing that aside though, I am curious how practical it would be for the hard disk itself to handle all of this. From what I understand, newer disks basically have their own operating system which already does geometric remapping to fit the expected logical layout of the host controller, which is done to compensate for imperfections in the manufacturing process.

What would stop one from hijacking this process in other than intended ways? Not really a problem if the processor (cpu? fpga? asic?) is too slow as the disk can just delay the boot stage a bit if necessary. If it is physically possible, the nasty part is figuring out how to program the damn thing. If the disk's logic board is capable as is, you're looking at zero cost in modding and effectively a new software exploit that would be somewhat difficult for tivo to countermeasure in a cost effective manner (without say, moving *all* executable code on to a large embedded flash disk, or perhaps encrypting the entire disk using assymetric cryptography, which I'm not sure any hard disk OEM's provide the capability of.)

If not, then perhaps a less costly modification to the logic board would be in order (and not to mention less risky than doing BGA rework.)

EDIT: Wow, my signature still mentions emule...how retro.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 02-14-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    I'm *still* looking for high resolution photos of a quad tuner TiVo such as the Premiere 4, previously known as the Premiere Elite.

If one of you folk have these, please stop for a moment and post some complete photos of the various parts of the board.

Edit: This is the kind of thing that allows research efforts like this to stagnate. If you are interested in seeing this work, don't just lurk. Participate. If you don't have the time, donate. :-)
    I'd be curious to see some high resolution pics for any of the premieres. With and without chips removed, or one's that have traces annotated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirak View Post
    In the absence of of a wiki, this information is sticky worthy if it gets future updates. Searching is really problematic as you often find an old post that has outdated and currently untrue information. It takes eons to determine the actual current state of affairs.
    Yes, that's a hazard of the message board versus wiki, you find yourself poring over conversations germane only to exploiting software 4.0.1b with an lba48 aware kernel and the proper uma6fix to work on a DirecTV combo box... While interesting from an archeological point of view, not ideal for getting ones feet wet. To be honest, I think that the community shrank considerably once the software-only exploits dried up and tivo had engineered most of the features that were previously only available via hacks (internal web server, network remote, show extraction, etc.). The main reasons I see folks stopping by these days is to transfer or extract CCI protected shows, and tivo's MRS' allowed streaming.

An unrelated topic, but case in point, I have been searching for hours to determine if a series 3 can do a 2tb+2tb drive setup and no definitive answer yet. Most searches say 1TB is the biggest you can do but weaknees sells a 2TB internal. This is merely empirically showing how the forum is a poor repository.
    Agreed again. There used to be "state of the art" posts that would get written every year or so, but there are fewer people to write those these days, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by GaveUp View Post
    I'd be curious to see some high resolution pics for any of the premieres. With and without chips removed, or one's that have traces annotated.
    You've seen bkdtv's review, I presume? It provides a nice hardware baseline, so it's a starting point. Link: here.

You've seen bkdtv's review, I presume? It provides a nice hardware baseline, so it's a starting point. Link: here.
    Nope I hadn't seen that one but looks like a decent starting point. Thanks.