Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Series4 (TiVo Premiere) Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig View Post
    What would really be golden is if someone made a SATA to ATA over Ethernet adapter. With that and a bit of hacking on the linux aoe target software and you'd have a solution using the "read twice" hack approach. Unfortunately, it appears no one makes such a useful bit of hardware. Everything I've found only adapts in the other direction. What? Nobody wants to attach legacy clients to an AoE SAN?
    Something akin to this: link could fit inside a premiere. It would need to be reprogrammed to redirect SATA reads after a specific amount of time (that time falling between the two presumed reads of the kernel partition: the first used during computation of the signature check, the second for done before handing off execution to the kernel), but I'm not sure how short that window is. Might be worth poking that device's firmware to see if it's easily modifiable.

Or possibly remap new data as the original data is read.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by GaveUp View Post
    I'd be curious to see some high resolution pics for any of the premieres. With and without chips removed, or one's that have traces annotated.
    I have a good number of photos in the first few pages of this very thread... ;-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Whoo! Pics!

Looks like someone finally came through and emailed me a bunch of photos of some Premiere 4 internals, and it still uses the same flash chip:

Considering all of the distributors I checked stopped carrying this part years ago, I did some extra digging and found that the company that the Intel subsidiary responsible for manufacturing the flash chip, Numonyx, was sold to Micron in 2010. The part still lives on under newer revisions, but apparently TiVo is still going through old stock because even recent TiVo's have flash chips with Intel markings on them.

S4QUAD-PROM.jpg
    Last edited by Omikron; 02-21-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    Hmm...so people are entertaining my disk spoofing idea from several years back it seems

Brushing that aside though, I am curious how practical it would be for the hard disk itself to handle all of this. From what I understand, newer disks basically have their own operating system which already does geometric remapping to fit the expected logical layout of the host controller, which is done to compensate for imperfections in the manufacturing process.
    Initially it would be done by sticking the original TiVo drive into a Linux machine and connecting it to the TiVo, which would export the drive over aoe. Hack the linux aoe driver to do the kernel read redirection trick.

Unfortunately, I've just run across some information that suggests that Apple has broad patents on the use of target mode by a computer. That may explain the lack of hardware to do this with Linux.

Good to see there's some activity on this topic; I have a Google Calendar reminder to check this thread every three weeks or so. Omikron, let us know if you need any additional equipment for research, I'm always willing to lend what I can.

You've inspired me to take MIT's introductory EE class on OCW; one day I wish to be able to contribute to TiVo development!

One of my friends finally found some time to break out the fuming nitric acid...

Here's a teaser for anyone who's curious...

.-=Omikron=-.

blahman is offline blah blah blah blah blah.
    Not advertising but wondering if maybe borrowing a component from the Xbox 360 world might be an option for SATA redirection not directly linked: xk3y com/howitworks

Just thinking this might work because it has the ability to be programmed is already a device for capturing SATA traffic and redirecting it or emulating replies.
    x360key consists of 2 parts, a motherboard and a remote.

The motherboard connects to the SATA bus inside the Xbox 360, and sits between the drive and the Xbox 360 motherboard. x360key is a full-fledged computer system running embedded Linux. It is capable of many things such as
    - Emulating the Xbox 360 DVD drive
    - Reading USB hard drives and other USB media with various file systems
    - Updating itself and other hardware from USB media
    # High speed USB2 interface
    # Stylish USB control pad for selecting games and controlling your x360key
    # Powerful embedded Linux system running from Micro SD card (included)
    # Linux firmware fully updatable from USB media
    # FPGA fully updatable from USB media via built-in, in-system JTAG programming
    # Recovery mode - it is always possible to recover from a bad flash
    Mods please remove if this post violates any rules as this one may be pushing.
    Last edited by blahman; 04-11-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blahman View Post
    Not advertising but wondering if maybe borrowing a component from the Xbox 360 world might be an option for SATA redirection not directly linked: xk3y com/howitworks

Just thinking this might work because it has the ability to be programmed is already a device for capturing SATA traffic and redirecting it or emulating replies.

Mods please remove if this post violates any rules as this one may be pushing.
    The problem with those would be the firmware. Anything like that is going to be locked down to not accept unsigned firmware so unless one of those teams wanted to pitch in it wouldn't be anything usable.

Just the usual. Any news? Every new Tivo hardware announcement makes me jealous.

The new Roamio Tivos have me salivating, but I guess its no go.

They'reeee hereeeee

https://tivo.com/shop/roamio

topgun, are you still around? I'm willing to contribute what I can. 6-tuners/Slingbox-like functionality is a pretty nice feature-set.

Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    They'reeee hereeeee

https://tivo.com/shop/roamio

topgun, are you still around? I'm willing to contribute what I can. 6-tuners/Slingbox-like functionality is a pretty nice feature-set.
    I am willing to bet that since we could not obtain a hack for S4 tivos, S5 tivos are way beyond reach. I'll keep my S3 tivohd for channels that are copy protected and live with it.

Someone in another forum sais that the software boot process boots a SD card. Are they blowing smoke, or is it true. It sure would make fixing a bad hd alot simpler (I assume).

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    I am willing to bet that since we could not obtain a hack for S4 tivos, S5 tivos are way beyond reach. I'll keep my S3 tivohd for channels that are copy protected and live with it.

Someone in another forum sais that the software boot process boots a SD card. Are they blowing smoke, or is it true. It sure would make fixing a bad hd alot simpler (I assume).
    Hard to say that. Given the S4 wasn't hacked the S5 could be very similar security wise or it could be a completely new implementation. Really until someone has their hands on it and starts tearing in to it you just don't know.

Based on a quick search for pictures there looks to be a head labeled UART which would be as good a place to start as any. Assuming no one beats me to the punch I'll probably pick one up in the next few months to do just that.

Does anyone have any good ultra-high res photos of some Roamio's?

Development will likely shift to the new platform directly, hopefully being able to re-use what we've learned from the S4 so far.
    .-=Omikron=-.