Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renaissance Possible for the HR10-250?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    So, why don't we agree to say "We can't discuss the ability of the HR10-250 to record OTA without service."
    captain_video already stated such in Post #2. FWIW, you're on the right track regarding the capability. But mum's the word on discussing it here.
    L8r
    HDVR2: 300Gb HD, v6.4a, USB 2.0 backport network drivers, HMO/HME SuperPatched, mfs_ftp/MovieLoader v1.3
    THR22-200 HDTivo, DirecTV HR24-200 and DirecTV HR22-100

Finally, a kindred spirit

Since last night's lame Tivo event, and the almost total lack of interest here, except for the inestimable Omikron, it may be that Tivo as a long term ongoing entity is dead to us here at DDB.

The evidence indicates that any new DirecTivo HiDef device coming along will not be of much interest here. I doubt Tivo have the skill left, certainly not any of the hacker-tolerant inclinations of the founders.

That leaves us with the existing hardware, and whether there is interest here in expanding the capabilities.

I have a fondness for the HR10-250. I think it has some capabilities moving forward.

I am not blind to its shortcomings: slow processor, mediocre OTA tuner.

Nonetheless.

* Digital and HiDef OTA recording (subbed or not)
    * Playback of HiDef video
    * Full DirecTV standard def recording (with subscription)
    * Hackable, with a considerable body of former art
    * HME capability
    * MovieLoader already serves playsback pre-series3 tfm/ty, including HiDef
    * ffmpeg (special version) capability to move from many mpeg formats (including HiDef) to tfm/ty already exists

The only two things missing from the HR10-250 becoming an exciting and viable platform for many years to come are, it seems to me:

1. Do we wish, as a forum, to allow discussion of full OTA recording and guide capability sans subscription
    * would such open discussion be against the principles of the forum
    * would such open discussion put the capability in jeopardy of countermeasures from DirecTV?

2. Is there interest/remaining capability here to develop an on-the-fly computer server (like TivoServer) that would work within the abilities of HME/mfs_ftp.tcl to provide computer-resident serving of typical mpeg files (2 and 4, SD and HD) to the HR10-250 in close to real time

I invite discussion.
    My first time on this particular Forum, but the facts remain the same. My particular Hr10-250 was in use for the last 5 years as a OTA tuner with the capacity to replay stuff I'd missed in the last hour.
    The hd died, downloaded an iso, put it on hd system boots fine. Won't scan OTA channels w/o aquiring sat info. Fine, hooked up old oval 3 lnb dish to left side sat 101 temporarily, have signal @95%, no guide, won't scan channels. Look, I just bought a Tivo Premier sub @ 15.00 per month, building a pc w ota card and HD video card etc., but D** really P---d me off way back when. I've no problem paying for what I get, but not getting what I paid for breaks my cardinal rule, and German stubborness reigns supreme! LOL Just burned PTV net, and WILL keep at this, advice is appreciated. I want to record OTA only, on MY machine,on a format D** does not support. If there is a way to do this by paying Tivo, no problem, if I can get it running off the sat local guide, super, I like the machine, and I'm damn stubborn.

You need 6.4a nowadays or you'll get the local channel issues. There is no way to record without DirecTV DVR service. You can use it as a tuner with the buffer.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by brdhntr View Post
    I want to record OTA only, on MY machine
    We can't discuss the methods by which you can record OTA on the HR10-250 without service.
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 06-17-2012 at 12:58 AM.

post deleted
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 06-17-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: duplicate

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    You need 6.4a nowadays or you'll get the local channel issues. There is no way to record without DirecTV DVR service. You can use it as a tuner with the buffer.
    I have 6.4 and ptvnet will give a couple things a try. At this point, I would rather pay for 2, 15.00 local guides than pay 30.00 for the other service, that's how aggravated I am am w them.

Thanks Roger, you have given me a few ideas

Quote Originally Posted by brdhntr View Post
    Thanks Roger, you have given me a few ideas
    If you got those ideas because I was indiscreet and mentioned a couple of things I shouldn't have, well good for you but keep quiet about it. I deleted that stuff almost immediately.

You know, it's like if you continually ran across people who kept saying the world is flat. You'd like to say something, but unfortunately the venues where you encounter this specify "no discussion of the shape of the Earth is allowed." I hate that silence might be construed to indicate assent.

I understand the reasons for keeping this stuff under wraps. I agree. Though I think the HR10-250 is a special case because it was abandoned by its seller for the purposes for which it was sold and getting some salvage value out of it is defensible, I agree that talk about it should be tightly controlled.

But we don't have to say things that aren't true. We don't have to say "it can't be done"; we need only simply say "we can't discuss it" rather than denying reality. I don't know what the problem is with his.

If you got those ideas because I was indiscreet and mentioned a couple of things I shouldn't have, well good for you but keep quiet about it. I deleted that stuff almost immediately.

You know, it's like if you continually ran across people who kept saying the world is flat. You'd like to say something, but unfortunately the venues where you encounter this specify "no discussion of the shape of the Earth is allowed." I hate that silence might be construed to indicate assent.
    I understand the reasons for keeping this stuff under wraps. I agree. Though I think the HR10-250 is a special case because it was abandoned by its seller for the purposes for which it was sold and getting some salvage value out of it is defensible, I agree that talk about it should be tightly controlled.

But we don't have to say things that aren't true. We don't have to say "it can't be done"; we need only simply say "we can't discuss it" rather than denying reality. I don't know what the problem is with his.

Well said, I completely understand. What they did is still wrong tho, and their refusal to offer a reasonable solution is still irksome to no end. I've re-purposed another computer to use as a dvr, besides my Tivo Premier, so I've spent more than it would cost to re subscribe, but they broke my cardinal rule " Don't be so unreasonable that you Tic Me Off". Kinda ridiculous, no? lol

Also

Also, I didn't even see your deleted reply, but thx for understanding my stubborness!

Since 6.2a lost locals, I moved to 6.4a. (retaining mrv was the only thing holding me back from 6.4a).

Since I have to run 6.4a anyway now, there's nothing holding me back from swapping out my standard Series2's in favor of the HR10, and gaining OTA-HD.
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB