Thread: How do you mount root partition to readwrite?

How do you mount root partition to readwrite?

Can somebody walk me through mounting my root partition to read/write? If it matters, I'm doing this to apply AlphaWolf's AIO TivoTools.

From another thread:

Originally Posted by jeepentj View Post
    ... The question I have is, is there a step by step thread that details how to apply ApphaWolf's patch?

Download the "patch" program from this post. Replace the patch program from the AIO package with this new working version. That's all there is to it. It should be a simple cp command. For example cp patch /hacks/bin. Replace /hacks/bin with your path to the AIO binaries. If you don't know where that is, try which patch to find out. If your root partition is mounted read-only, you may have to mount it read/write temporarily to make this change.
    If your root partition is mounted read-only, you may have to mount it read/write temporarily to make this change.

Thanks,
    David

You really should take some time to learn a bit of Linux before going further. If not, there's a good chance you'll soon be back asking how to fix your dead TiVo, due to blindly following directions you don't understand.

remount -o remount,rw /
    and to change it back
    sync
    remount -o remount,ro /
    This is pretty easily found with a search.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    You really should take some time to learn a bit of Linux before going further. If not, there's a good chance you'll soon be back asking how to fix your dead TiVo, due to blindly following directions you don't understand.

and to change it back This is pretty easily found with a search.
    That's pretty funny.

The CORRECT command is mount -o remount,rw / to mount root read/write. And mount -o remount,ro / to return root to read only status.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    That's pretty funny.

The CORRECT command
    You're spoiling the fun. I figured he'd try it, it wouldn't work, and he'd be forced to search and maybe learn a bit. There's enough of a clue there that searching should be easy.

You're spoiling the fun. I figured he'd try it, it wouldn't work, and he'd be forced to search and maybe learn a bit. There's enough of a clue there that searching should be easy.
    Sorry I spoiled your fun, but clues don't help the clueless.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Wow, thanks for the help. I've spent hours on this forum reading through threads and am doing my best to learn this stuff. Sometimes there's just so much information it's hard to even know where to begin.
    Last edited by jeepentj; 03-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.