Thread: HD-DVR advice

HD-DVR advise

I have had 2 series 2 dtv tivos for about 4 years now. Im separated and they ex agreed to keep paying for dtv as long as I paid for some other stuff. I took one of the boxes and been using it that way for a while. Now I got a hdtv last week and want to watch dtv in hd. Will a HR 10-250 be the way to go? I dont want to get one of those dtv hddvr and hook for another 2 years. My tv is 52" 1080p lcd so it is important for the box to be able to output to 1080 via hdmi. I also want to be able to hack the box with all of the tivo hack that I have in my series 2 tivo dvr. So, what do you guys recomend?

PS - Heard that DTV is coming back with a tivo HD-DVR and I will wait till then to get one of those once they are hackable.
    Last edited by Nandy; 03-11-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Hughes SD-DVR80 250 GB

The HR10-250 won't let you watch DirecTV in HD. There are only six HD channels that the HR10 can see, and all of those are going away at the end of this month. The HR10 can do 1080i, but not 1080p.

I predict that the new HD DTiVo won't be hackable. But you will have at least six months if not more to wait to find out.

If you want DirecTV HD, then just get one of the HR2x series and be done with it.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    I have had 2 series 2 dtv tivos for about 4 years now. Im separated and they ex agreed to keep paying for dtv as long as I paid for some other stuff. I took one of the boxes and been using it that way for a while. Now I got a hdtv last week and want to watch dtv in hd. Will a HR 10-250 be the way to go? I dont want to get one of those dtv hddvr and hook for another 2 years. My tv is 52" 1080p lcd so it is important for the box to be able to output to 1080 via hdmi. I also want to be able to hack the box with all of the tivo hack that I have in my series 2 tivo dvr. So, what do you guys recomend?

PS - Heard that DTV is coming back with a tivo HD-DVR and I will wait till then to get one of those once they are hackable.
    The HR10-250 is a reasonable way to go IF you can get a lot of HiDef OTA, AND can pick up a used one very cheap. But there are only a few satellite-sourced HiDef channels and they are supposedly closing out as of 4/1/10.

The new DirecTV Tivo is an unknown as far as hackability. Those who know are under non-disclosure agreements and I'm not even getting hints.

DirecTV has a faux-Tivo DiDef DVR, the HR2x series, also newer ones coming. They have an excellent selection of HiDef channels, unmatched for sports. They are a little kludgy and menu-ey, rather than the human-engineered functionality of the Tivo. But if you like, say, pc's rather than Macs, you probably wouldn't mind the HR2x series, might even prefer them to the Tivos. But the DirecTV HD's are totally unhackable. They do have a MRV that almost works, been beta testing for years and has recently been unleashed as a public beta, and I'd say it's a year or so away from working well. Youcan also use something like TVersity to feed outside video to these boxes, but it is a little awkward compared to Tivo capability.

Well, that sucks to loose all of the hacks... For some reason I thought that the 10-250 was the solution.... I guess it will be to go and find one of those dtv receivers in ebay. I dont want to tie up that account for 2 years and much less not be able to upgrade to the dtv tivo if it becomes hackable....
    Hughes SD-DVR80 250 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    Well, that sucks to loose all of the hacks... For some reason I thought that the 10-250 was the solution.... I guess it will be to go and find one of those dtv receivers in ebay. I dont want to tie up that account for 2 years and much less not be able to upgrade to the dtv tivo if it becomes hackable....
    You'll incur the commitment no matter where you get the HR2x. In fact, since it's only leased, you might wind up in a bit of a mess.

You do understand that you don't lose the ability to hack with the HR10-250. You don't have HiDef recording capability outside of OTA. Playback of HiDef is fine, though at least for now the files have to be in the series 2 (not 3) tmf/ty/ty+ format to get them into the box.

One point I constantly make about the HR2x series of DirecTV HD DVRs is they are already well beyond the capability of a hacked HR10-250 in most areas. The noteable exception is extraction.

Want MRV? Now in beta, and works quite well. You can even view the recordings on an H2x series HD receiver. Caller ID? Built in. Stream a recording to your computer? Already available. Stream Audio, video, or pictures from your computer to the DVR? Already works. Afraid of the two year commitment? Sorry, that seems to be unavoidable at this time.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.