Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: series 3 stuck on welcome powering up

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    122

    series 3 stuck on welcome powering up

    I had a tivo that was locking up and rebooting. I assumed it was the hard drive. I used winmfs to back up the tivo drive and then restore to the new 500gb drive. Everything went fine per winmfs. I loaded it and put the drive in the tivo and now it is stuck at welcome powering up.

    Any suggestions

    rkshack
    hdr612 hacked to 128hrs
    hdr312 not hacked

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    456
    That's a tough one. Do you have a linux box so you can see the logs or do you have serial access to the tivo?

    I would suggest finding a fresh image just to be sure. Go to the begging thread and let us know your exact model.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    That's a tough one. Do you have a linux box so you can see the logs or do you have serial access to the tivo?

    I would suggest finding a fresh image just to be sure. Go to the begging thread and let us know your exact model.

    I put up a request. I noticed that the compressed mfslive backup up was much larger than the winmfs version. I am going to try to restore that image and go from there until I get one off of the begging thread. I do have a ubuntu disk I can use to look at it. Where should I look for a log? It has been such a long time since I have had to do any of that stuff.

    rkshack
    hdr612 hacked to 128hrs
    hdr312 not hacked

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    122
    mfslive back up has not worked better. Any suggestions on where to find the logs.

    rkshack
    hdr612 hacked to 128hrs
    hdr312 not hacked

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    456
    Sorry, I was hoping a more qualified person would come along but the forum seems dead these days. The logs are in /var/log but you need tivopart to mount the drive in ubuntu.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
    I put up a request. I noticed that the compressed mfslive backup up was much larger than the winmfs version. I am going to try to restore that image and go from there until I get one off of the begging thread. I do have a ubuntu disk I can use to look at it.
    By that, do you mean a live CD? That's going to be problematical, although not insurmountable. As Soapm mentioned, you are going to have to give that system access to tivopart and then run the `tivopart r` command to rescan the partitions. Once that is done, you can mount the 9th partition (/dev/sdX9 or /dev/hdX9, depending on the distro, where X will be a, b, c, etc., depending on your drive assignments) and read the logs. MFS_Live may be a better choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
    Where should I look for a log? It has been such a long time since I have had to do any of that stuff.
    Wherever you mount the 9th partition. Do *NOT* try to mount it on /var. I suggest creating a directory for the purpose, perhaps /drive or maybe /tivovar. The name really doesn't matter, as long as no directory of that name already exists.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 09-02-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
    mfslive back up has not worked better. Any suggestions on where to find the logs.
    Well, what did you try?

    Code:
    pdisk -l /dev/XdY9
    Will show you the partition information if you have the kernel properly apprised of the TiVo's partition table structure.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •