Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 11.0f sitting in MFS

Yes, the patch at the top was fixed by Deux Machina. It had 1 errant location patch

I am hoping he will do a 11.0g version

I'm working on the port now. I found the new addresses - just making sure everything's kosher before posting (assuming no one beats me to it).

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    I'm working on the port now. I found the new addresses - just making sure everything's kosher before posting (assuming no one beats me to it).

-psxboy
    Very good!!!

NoMEK Patch

Ok... here's the NoMEK patch ported to 11.0g. It replaces the generic "No Encryption" patch to allow MRV of encrypted recordings.

Code:
    11.0g
    0x005d3784 "92220024 27a40028"
    0x005d3788 "104000aa 0c156f2f"
    0x005d378c "27a40028 00000000"
    0x005d3790 "0c156f2f 0c4644ec"
    0x005d3798 "8fa20020 106000aa"
    0x01191388 "27bdfec8 03e00008"
    0x0119138c "afb40128 24020001"
    0x011913b0 "00a0a021 8e230040"
    0x011913b4 "0c1b6082 10600002"
    0x011913b8 "00602821 00000000"
    0x011913bc "00408021 8c630000"
    0x011913c0 "1200000a 03e00008"
    0x011913c4 "00001021 8fa20020"
    DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT TESTED THESE. The code in these two sections of tivoapp hasn't changed between 11.0d and 11.0g - I merely ported the addresses and tweaked the jump instructions to reflect the new locations, so it should work just fine. But make a backup copy of your tivoapp just to be safe.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

ScanMan:

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to do it following this guide: http://john-time.com/?p=162

I'm fine until it's time to patch and I get lost at Step 4 item 2, because I don't have a ./replace_initrd.mips command. (Edit: I found it, upped to my tivobin - but I don't have the other support files.)

I'll read your guide now - but since someone else originally put the tools on here I'm flying half-blind.

What's really confusing about this all is that the binaries are so scattered. When I figure this out I'm going to write a "brain-dead newbie" guide.

P.S> I'm doing a S3 HD with replaced PROM and most of the instructions I see are for S2. So I don't think I need to do any of the Monte stuff.

Edit:I'm reading you post but your scripts are specific to your unit and you never detail what exactly is in /hacks I'm still struggling.

(I'm not complaining - I just didn't realize that this hobby would be so confusing at the start.)

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    You'll have to do a manual or in-place upgrade to preserve your hacks without pulling your drive. Everyone has their own way to do it.

There is an "installSw.itcl" script on the tivo that does the upgrade; essentially you edit that file to prevent the automatic reboot at the end of upgrade process which would otherwise wipe your hacks. The you re-hack your tivo, i.e., replacing the kernel, copying over hacks and rc.sysinit.author, fix the iptables firewall, patch tivoapp if you want at that point; then reboot.

One more thing, you can either patch tivoapp using the 'dd' method lgkahn illustrates or use the 'tvapppatch.tcl' method. tvapppatch is sort of the successor to the old superpatch.

There are a couple of gotchas so you should read and understand the process if you want to avoid pulling the drive. Check the "manual upgrade" link in my signature for my notes on this; although my notes were for an older version/tivo, the process is the same. I also have a automated script in that thread but you need to do a little setup to use it.
    Last edited by tomhayes; 04-07-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post
    <snip>
    P.S> I'm doing a S3 HD with replaced PROM and most of the instructions I see are for S2. So I don't think I need to do any of the Monte stuff.

Edit:I'm reading you post but your scripts are specific to your unit and you never detail what exactly is in /hacks I'm still struggling.
    You don't need monte (unless maybe if you are using wireless adapter?). I was using my script as a generic upgrade script for my series 2's and series 3 so there is generation specific stuff in there for both series.

Simply put, you edit the 'installSw.itcl' to prevent the reboot and then run it. Make note of the 'old' and 'new' partitions being set. Then use replace_initrd on the newly installed kernel to nuke it. Then mount the 'new' root and copy over all of your 'hacks' meaning binaries like the tivotools collection, tivoftpd, the 'rc.sysinit.author' anything else from the 'old' that you need. You can patch tivoapp at this time or save it until after you reboot into the upgraded system.

As an aside, if you are using a custom (i.e., Jamie) kernel then you don't need replace_initrd but you will need the custom 'bcmenet.o' network driver replaced and the 'iptables' nuked (not necessary if you replace the initrd on a stock kernel although you need the 'iptables -F' flush in your .author file). Not to add to your confusion but that is another alternative for replacing the kernel.

Perhaps if you detail which method you are planning (i.e., neuter stock kernel or custom) - we can validate your process.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 04-07-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

You don't need monte (unless maybe if you are using wireless adapter?). I was using my script as a generic upgrade script for my series 2's and series 3 so there is generation specific stuff in there for both series.

Simply put, you edit the 'installSw.itcl' to prevent the reboot and then run it. Make note of the 'old' and 'new' partitions being set. Then use replace_initrd on the newly installed kernel to nuke it. Then mount the 'new' root and copy over all of your 'hacks' meaning binaries like the tivotools collection, tivoftpd, the 'rc.sysinit.author' anything else from the 'old' that you need. You can patch tivoapp at this time or save it until after you reboot into the upgraded system.

As an aside, if you are using a custom (i.e., Jamie) kernel then you don't need replace_initrd but you will need the custom 'bcmenet.o' network driver replaced and the 'iptables' nuked (not necessary if you replace the initrd on a stock kernel although you need the 'iptables -F' flush in your .author file). Not to add to your confusion but that is another alternative for replacing the kernel.

Perhaps if you detail which method you are planning (i.e., neuter stock kernel or custom) - we can validate your process.
    Here's what I want to accomplish: Remove the copy protection a la the CCI bit .

That's it - no other stuff. I hate not being able to move my shows onto my computer/iphone and my cable company has turned almost all channels to copy protected for no "good" reason.

The biggest obstacle is that the posts on here, while very helpful and appreciated, can be cryptic, and many are years old and I'm unsure how they apply.

My equipment: A PROM modified Series 3 Tivo HD with a 1TB drive installed.

Here's the way I understand the process in general terms:

1)Put some UNIX tools on the drive.
    *I am unclear exactly which files I need. I know it'll at least be an FTP server* I just don't know which files to download and where to install them.

2)Enable those tools to be executable.

3)Invoke those tools at startup.

4)Mount inactive partitions and work with the files on it

5)Edit some config files and scripts, like .rcs , the SWupdate, etc

6)Install SWupdate on "inactive" partition

7)Mount updated HDA and edit Tivo kernel with DD or Tivopatcher, or install custom kernel. (whichever method is the easiest/most painless.)

8)Set bootpage -P and -B to the update partitions, and set iptables -f, etc

9)Stop automatic updates.

10)Be ready for when it all happens again

What would help me are specific instructions for each step

Sorry for the long post and the thread hijack.

What would help me are specific instructions for each step
    Probably not going to get that here. Because, if you did, then you'd just be back asking again when the next update breaks everything.

Hacked TiVos are high maintenance. If you want one, you need to learn, not be told.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    Probably not going to get that here. Because, if you did, then you'd just be back asking again when the next update breaks everything.

Hacked TiVos are high maintenance. If you want one, you need to learn, not be told.
    Well, can we agree that a middle ground might be helpful for beginners??

You feel lucky, punk?

Well, can we agree that a middle ground might be helpful for beginners??
    Since I just hacked/re-hacked a refurb original Series 3 [Gen05], I'll give you a little outline. If you can't fill in the gaps, you're not ready.

Connected the drive to my laptop via USB->SATA adapter.
    Booted with MFSLive CD
    I had an external USB hard drive with my hack tools that MFSLive recognized as /dev/sda
    Tivo drive was recognized by MFSLive as /dev/sdb
    Check the bootpage
    Code:
    bootpage -p /dev/sdb
    root=/dev/hda7
    Write new bootpage
    Code:
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=1,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/sdb
    Mount external USB and tivo drive
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /dos
    mount /dev/sdb7 /tivo
    Make a 'hacks' and 'bin' directory
    Code:
    mkdir /tivo/hacks
    mkdir /tivo/hacks/bin
    untar tivotools.tar to 'bin'
    Code:
    tar -xvf /dos/tivotools.tar -C /tivo/hacks/bin
    create rc.sysinit.author in /tivo/etc/rc.d
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export PATH=$PATH:/hacks:/hacks/bin
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    /hacks/bin/tivoftpd &
    Code:
    chmod 755 /tivo/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
    Install Jamie's Gen05 custom kernel
    Code:
    dd if=/dos/vmlinux-Gen05-netopt-ext3.px of=/dev/sdb6
    Neuter iptables [back it up first]
    Code:
    mv /tivo/sbin/iptables /tivo/sbin/iptables.old
    New iptables should look like:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    exit 0
    Code:
    chmod 755 /tivo/sbin/iptables
    Since using a custom kernel, replace 'bcmenet.o' per Jamie's instructions; back it up first.
    Code:
    mv /tivo/platform/lib/modules/bcmenet.o /tivo/platform/lib/modules/bcmenet.bak
    cp /dos/bcmenet.o /tivo/platform/lib/modules
    chmod 644 /tivo/platform/lib/modules/bcmenet.o
    This is a pretty basic shell; the minimal .author file will give you telnet and ftpd to finish up. If you prep these files offline, make sure your text editor can save as unix type (don't use notepad).

I've also attached a log session from the manual upgrade process I performed after the initial hacked filesystem was upgraded to the latest software. By reading my 'ManualUpgrade.tcl' script and comparing it to the log session, you should be able to translate what's going on. The upgrade process is basically the same as rehacking. Hope it helps...good luck!

Looks like I managed to hose myself: I just received 11g and was applying the patches to tivoapp and looks like I made a typo or two. My TiVo boots to a waiting screen and never progresses. Oddly, /tivo/tvbin/tivoapp does not exist - can someone point me to some resources on how I can recover - I killed my TiVo! [south park voice]

Quote Originally Posted by macrho View Post
    Looks like I managed to hose myself: I just received 11g and was applying the patches to tivoapp and looks like I made a typo or two. My TiVo boots to a waiting screen and never progresses. Oddly, /tivo/tvbin/tivoapp does not exist - can someone point me to some resources on how I can recover - I killed my TiVo! [south park voice]
    Did you make a backup copy of tivoapp before you started patching? Just mount the drive in a PC and restore the virgin tivoapp; reinstall and boot the tivo. If your only mistake was in butchering the tivoapp (and you had the foresight to back it up) it should boot fine.

I did back it up but in /tivo/tvbin, not on an external drive
    when i rebooted, the backup along with the original app file are gone

Did you make a backup copy of tivoapp before you started patching? Just mount the drive in a PC and restore the virgin tivoapp; reinstall and boot the tivo. If your only mistake was in butchering the tivoapp (and you had the foresight to back it up) it should boot fine.

Quote Originally Posted by macrho View Post
    I did back it up but in /tivo/tvbin, not on an external drive
    when i rebooted, the backup along with the original app file are gone
    The initial /tivo directory was just the mount point used when mounting the drive via PC; it could be any directory you specify. Describe how you are mounting the drive. Also, if you rebooted after the software upgrade, tivo may have flipped the partitions. You need to fill in some details of what you were doing.

Here is what I did:

I was running 11g as of sometime earlier this week [noticed restricted recordings on my whs]

I yanked the drive and hooked it up to my mac
    fired up virtualbox and ran msflive
    found out the live partition via bootpage b /dev/sda [after I figured out it was sda that the drive was mounted as]

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda4 /tivo

then went into /tivo/tvbin and proceeded to dd the tivoapp file [where i made my mistake]

then umount /tivo

hooked up the tivo and it stays at the starting screen

reattached to my mac and see nothing in /tivo/tvbin as far as tivoapp program

I do not know if the tivo rebooted itself after receiving 11g - i saw no notice on my machine

perhaps i can switch the active partition and force tivo to update itself again?

I guess part of my mistake might have been simply editing the tivoapp and not using busybox.. perhaps a number of mistakes.

The initial /tivo directory was just the mount point used when mounting the drive via PC; it could be any directory you specify. Describe how you are mounting the drive. Also, if you rebooted after the software upgrade, tivo may have flipped the partitions. You need to fill in some details of what you were doing.
    Last edited by macrho; 04-10-2010 at 05:04 PM.