Thread: Please point to correct discussion or help

Please point to correct discussion or help

Legally purchased and recorderd using a Tivo HR-250.

Completely maxed it out when the new Direct TV forced me to buy their equipment last year. Since then I have sought help from weak knees, DTV etc. on finding out a way to transfer those recordings. I am told there is now a difference with MP 2- MP4 compression and it can't be done. However, I believe differently. Must be a way. I have heard it can be done with software to open the USB ports? Is there a way and quite simply where do I find this information. DTV, answers as if I was trying to commit some crime. I also was told that when TIVO cranks back up this box will not be compatible --so a re-hook of the 250 seems unlikely.

Thanks for your help

everything in your post is true except the following:

"Must be a way."

there is not a way. further, if you had not previously hacked your hr10-250, it's (more) difficult to get the programs off of it, but either way, there is no current way to transfer recordings *to* any of the hr2x series boxes.

it's also true that the new tivo will not be compatible with the hr10-250 - any new box will feature mpeg4 compatibility, which the hr10-250 doesn't have.

sorry

ronny

Thanks for the answer but I am super dissapointed. Please write if anything happens to allow such a transfer in the future. I was so ignorant of the change I thought I could simply transfer all the information at a later time. Is the problem a compression issue? Seems that someone would have a workaround but apparently I have been wrong. Again, Thanks for replying.

Steve

the main problem is that there are no public hacks for the hr2x boxes and they're locked down pretty tight. directv has, in the past been, shall we say, a bit aggressive towards people trying to steal service, so the capable people are probably unwilling to take the risk to try to hack the new boxes, even though it's not stealing per se.

best to finish watching your hr10-250 shows and then just let it go and move forward with the hr2x.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by steverr1 View Post
    Thanks for the answer but I am super dissapointed. Please write if anything happens to allow such a transfer in the future. I was so ignorant of the change I thought I could simply transfer all the information at a later time. Is the problem a compression issue? Seems that someone would have a workaround but apparently I have been wrong. Again, Thanks for replying.

Steve
    At present, there is no way to insert recordings into the HR2x DVRs, but you are not without options.

1. The simplest. Follow ronnythunder's advice, watch the shows on the HR10-250, then put it in the closet.

2. Almost as easy. Leave your HR10-250 hooked up to the TV, perhaps through a component input. Watch the shows at your leisure whenever you want.

3. Hack the HR10-250 and using the utilities available, remove the encryption and extract them to your computer. You can then use something like TVersity to allow viewing them on your HR2x. This is in many ways a less satisfactory solution; the recordings are streamed through the HR2x; they are not saved on it.

A theoretical option. While I am not aware of one, an RF modulator that accepts component inputs and outputs outputs as MPEG-4 compressed ATSC signal should be available - for a price. Feed the signal into the RF input of the HR20 model, or the RF input of the auxiliary rf tuner available for the other models.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.