Thread: Slightly Unusual TiVo hack

Slightly Unusual TiVo hack

I have read up on Tivo hacks and I think mine is a bit different.

How would I go about installing a Linux Distro on an unused series 2?

The only purpose I would use it for would be to run Amarok and maybe a bit of web surfing. NO VIDEO WATCHING, just Audio via uPnP from my freeNAS server, via wireless.

I'd need the USB to work as well as the Audi and Video outs
    I suppose the Digital Out sould be a sweet bonus too.

I read more than a few comments in regards to installing Linux on a Series2 as resulting in an "underpowered linux machine" and I thought:
    "I could use a few of those", the problem is that those discussions don't seem to go anywhere so I'm a bit lost.

I have three unused Series2's
    R10
    Hughes CD-DVR40
    Phillips DSR708

any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by plbowler View Post
    I have read up on Tivo hacks and I think mine is a bit different.

How would I go about installing a Linux Distro on an unused series 2?

The only purpose I would use it for would be to run Amarok and maybe a bit of web surfing. NO VIDEO WATCHING, just Audio via uPnP from my freeNAS server, via wireless.

I'd need the USB to work as well as the Audi and Video outs
    I suppose the Digital Out sould be a sweet bonus too.

I read more than a few comments in regards to installing Linux on a Series2 as resulting in an "underpowered linux machine" and I thought:
    "I could use a few of those", the problem is that those discussions don't seem to go anywhere so I'm a bit lost.

I have three unused Series2's
    R10
    Hughes CD-DVR40
    Phillips DSR708

any help is appreciated.
    The main reason the discussions don't go anywhere, and as you've probably already read, the TiVo is an extremely purpose-built box. It's designed to do one thing, and one thing only: TiVo

Everything on the board has been selected with TiVo software in mind, so putting anything else on there makes it an underpowered and fairly useless linux machine. You won't be getting any video output or input working, and you'll have a hard time doing anything useful with the USB. All of those very basic features would require massive amounts of work. Far, far more than the box is worth.

Sell the extra boxes for what little you can get for them, and build an actual PC.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

ok, thats kind of what I thought.
    as I understand it there are no available drivers for the proprietary architecture on the board, so while it is possible to modify the "Distribution" it is not ideal or even possible to built a distro to run in the included architecture, and even if it was it would be extremely underpowered.

I guess that part that was throwing me was the "underppowerd Linux box" it seems this is more of a theorhetical observation than an actual warning.

I have enough linux boxes knowcking around here as it is (1 freeNAS <- not actually linux, 2 debian, a gentoo and an Ubuntu) but what I liked about the tivo linux box idea was that is seemed to have all the interfaces i could use built in, it is set top sized, and i have three of them gathering dust.

I pictured a repurposed box in each room.

oh well, on to the next challenge.

maybe i can pull the boards out and get some old laptop guts to hook up to the power supply...

thanks for the timely response

I have seen people manage to boot Debian with a serial console, but as was noted earlier, there's not much you can do with this. The power supply is not compatible with a typical PC board either.
    Steve