Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove "PPV" tag from guide data?

Remove "PPV" tag from guide data?

Sorry for the cross post, I'm really hopeing someone can help me with this, but it doesn't look like hardly anyone reads the non directv forum...

Hi.. I'm looking to tweak my guide data for a particular channel that I subscribe to in order to get wishlists to record off that channel. There are certian channels that you can either PPV or subscribe to... I subscribe to one in particular that I want my Tivo to record. Currently I have to manually select each program that I want it to record. The auto-record wishlist shows the programs, but won't select them because they're "PPV".

I've spent the last hour searching and reading the forums (and hours before over at tivocommunity), but I can't find anything..
    Does anyone know if this is possible?

jpags told me that he thought someone over here had dome something along these lines... anyone remember anything like this?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

-TKris

There's gotta be someone out there that knows MFS and TCL enough to help me with this... I got my tivonet installed and did some looking around at the MFS data via tivoweb 1.9.3.

The data I think I need to change is in the "Station" object, found by looking at the MFS browser, selecting StationTms, and then the appropriate station object (found by looking at the channel view and paying attention to the link)

I get something that looks like this:
    Station 2435/12 {
    ServerVersion = 14
    TmsId = 16315
    CallSign = CALLSIGN
    Country = U.S.A.
    Affiliation = {(AO) Pay-Per-View}
    DmaNum = 0
    City = Boulder
    State = CO
    ZipCode = 80302
    AffiliationIndex = 57
    PayPerView = 1
    LogoIndex = 65536
    Name = {name omitted :-)}
    (attribute 0x50023 not in schema)
    ServerId = 2312
    Version = 1
    IndexPath = /StationTms/16315:983 /Server/2312
    }

Is this a modifyable database object? All I want to do at this point is tweak the "PayPerView" variable to 0 and see what happens. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to look to figure out how to do this?

Unfortunatly I don't know TCL, but I do lots of heavy scripting at work.. I suspect I can get past the TCL part but I'd really appriciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks

Lightbulb SOLVED

Ran this script with the channel number found in the structure above, set my wishlist to *not* record... turned auto-record *back* on, and Voila! It's currently recording a wish-list program on a previously PPV channel!

bash-2.02# cat unppv.tcl
    #!/tvbin/tivosh
    tvsource $tcl_library/tv/mfslib.tcl

set db [dbopen]

RetryTransaction {
    set chan [db $db openid "2435"]
    dbobj $chan set PayPerView 0
    }

dbclose $db

I got the code from "webdeck"'s post over at the avs forum on how to undelete a recording... it shows a simple way to tweak a variable in the db. I thought I would share it here because my post has gotten 100+ reads... I figure there are others who might want to know how to do this as well.

-TKris

I wonder if this affects the ability to watch a PPV without paying for it?

Probably not, but who knows.

Dennis

I know it wouldn't in my case, since I'm using a SA tivo and a dish net receiver.. Might be interesting to try on a dtivo box..

my question is...would this affect your ability to purchase the ppv? i click "purchase and record" on a ppv and it takes me to the "retrieving ppv information" screen. that might be a function that you dont want to mess with. i have no idea though...
    would tivo know to go to the ppv options menu?

Would it need to?

Dennis

how would I go about getting this ,MFS brower(?), and get in the database to view the list chanid's??

Is there a comprehensive list of utilities needed to move around in the Tivo files?? I am a newbie to Tivo and Linux... but would like to get into some serious hacking (writing my own scripts, not just instaling someone else's), and need a little help being pointed in the right direction. Everyone needs to start somewhere, right?

Here's a quick script that will remove the PPV flag on every channel that has one. Enjoy!

Code:
    #!/tvbin/tivosh

tvsource $tcl_library/tv/mfslib.tcl

set db [dbopen]

RetryTransaction {
        set setup [db $db open /Setup]
        set sources [dbobj $setup get Source]
        foreach source $sources {
            set channels [dbobj $source get Channel]
            foreach channel $channels {
                lappend stations [dbobj $channel gettarget Station]
            }
        }
    }

foreach station $stations {
    	RetryTransaction {
    		regexp {([0-9]*)/(.*)} $station all fsid subobjid
    		set station [db $db openid $fsid]
    		set ppv [dbobj $station get PayPerView]
    		if {$ppv == 1} {
    			dbobj $station remove PayPerView
    			puts "Removed PayPerView flag for station [dbobj $station get CallSign]"
    		}
    	}
    }

dbclose $db

I don't know where you got this, but it won't work for a DTivo. If this was intended to be run on a SA, it might work, but I don't have one so I can't verify.

This code won't do anything on a DTivo. The PPV flag isn't stored in the Station object.

Sorry, I've only tried this on a standalone unit. I should have mentioned that.

-Mike

Formula, would we gain anything using this on the DTivo?

Dennis

The only use for a hack like this would be to make Tivo think PPV channels are like normal channels.

The only benefit to that would be if you're using some kind of 3M code (HU 3M or EMU). Seeing how PITOU doesn't let you schedule PPV recordings in advance, this would be a good thing. People using SLE can record in advance, but doing something like this would make it easier.

I've looked briefly through the database and can't find where the Tivo looks to see if a channel is PPV or not. I'll keep looking when I have time.

Is there a way we could make this work on a DirecTvio unit??

This would definately be a "good thing" on a DTivo. In some cases even with SLE you can't book a recording because it can't get pricing info more than a few hours in advance sometimes.

Marking it as not pay-per-view would seem to allow you to get around this roadblock. So if anyone has an idea, speak up!