Thread: CableCard paring data -- possible to save from borked drive?

CableCard paring data -- possible to save from borked drive?

I apologize, cause I have a feeling this is indeed on the forum, but after quite a few searches, I'm coming up empty.

I'm on TimeWarner cable, and want to avoid the forced (and useless) truck roll. Seriously, why I can;t just read the card data to an operator is beyond me at this point.

Unfortunately, looks like my HD box took a dive. I'm going to swap out the drive (was meaning to expand anyway), but on the off chance the old drive is sufficently readable, is there a simple known way to bring over the cable card pairing data? I'll be making an image from another existing machine, but obviously, it's pairing data can;t be used.. I'll just be performing a C&D.

I'm thinking the answer is basically no, but if I'm wrong, I'd really appreciate the info. I'm not interested in preserving anything else (shows, linneups, etc.)

I've done a LOT of reading here . It is very, very logical, that the data is saved on a file somewhere. I've not seen even the tiniest shred of detail about where this data may possibly be held, though, sorry.

I haven't tried it myself, but my first guess would be to use mfs_dumpobj to read the contents of /State/Cablecard, and when you create a fresh tivo drive, copy that data over verbatim. The attribute called NonVolitileData (sic) is the most interesting.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

All of the crypto keys for the CableCARD are stored on the card itself, as well as the pairing data.

Worst-case scenario you will have to have them just send the card a another hit. Re-pairing will not be necessary unless the card is moved from one slot to another, which would need new pairing data anyway.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    All of the crypto keys for the CableCARD are stored on the card itself, as well as the pairing data.

Worst-case scenario you will have to have them just send the card a another hit. Re-pairing will not be necessary unless the card is moved from one slot to another, which would need new pairing data anyway.
    Doing a C&DE says it'll unpair any cable cards. When this happens they can just send the card a hit and it'll be fully paired again?
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    Doing a C&DE says it'll unpair any cable cards. When this happens they can just send the card a hit and it'll be fully paired again?
    To the best of my understanding, the pairing process simply record the CableCARD ID and the Host ID of the slot and then sending it a hit. As long as the Host ID doesn't change, a simple hit should resolve the issue.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    I've done exactly that.

Been away for a few days on vacation. In any case, I haven't even been able to get a clean image to run on this box, (as noted on another thread), so I've got larger problems than a potiental truck roll at this point. Sigh.

For anyone else lurking or reading thios thread later --- just as an aside, its certainly not going to be a simple copy/restore of a flat file or folder, after all, but instead parsing data. After all (I realized after having more time to ponder it.), nothing else other than the MFS partions and /var are mounted in a writeable status. SIncve /var is completely trashable at any time w/o warning, it woudl not make sense to store any critical data like pairing info in /var.

Not being handy with mfs object tools at this time, I haven't been able to test out Alpha's suggestion, although it certainly smells logical.