Thread: Tivo newbie with Premier XL

Tivo newbie with Premier XL

Hey everyone, I just got my first Tivo. One of the main draws to me getting this device was the apparently ability to watch shows recorded on the Tivo on any other computer in the house, either via the Tivo Transfer program on my Mac, or the https:// web browser interface. A little reading now that I found it's not as simple as I wanted it to be is that I am being hindered by the CCI protection.

I have been searching all over for someone talking about hacking the new Premier or Premier XL, but can't seem to find anything. I simply want to watch any show on my Tivo from anywhere, any time. Is that so much to ask?

Putting shows back on my Tivo isn't the hard part, as the new Tivo Desktop program to share pics/music and Mac2Tivo that came with Roxio's Toast Titanium seem to handle that fine. Although... how can I get the Tivo to play DVD rips?

So I guess I have two questions:
    1) How can I break the CCI Protection?
    2) How do I get the Tivo to recognize and/or mount either ISO or VIDEO_TS rips of full DVDs?

Quote Originally Posted by drmuzik View Post
    I have been searching all over for someone talking about hacking the new Premier or Premier XL, but can't seem to find anything.
    Search harder.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tivo+series4+hacking&l=1

It also happens to be the _only_ thread in the "Series4 Development" forum.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Thumbs down

Wow, what a demeaning response. I hope all the other senior members don't represent this forum like you have.

As I said, I am a complete Tivo newbie. I had no idea the Premier XL is also a "Series 4". Thanks for the help. I'll check out that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by drmuzik View Post
    Wow, what a demeaning response. I hope all the other senior members don't represent this forum like you have.

As I said, I am a complete Tivo newbie. I had no idea the Premier XL is also a "Series 4". Thanks for the help. I'll check out that thread.
    I apologize if the response came off as particularly demeaning.

The issue at hand is that far too often people don't want to put in the work of finding information that has already been discussed ad-nauseum, and they simply make a new thread. This clutters up the forum immensely and makes it harder for other people to find information through the search function at a later date.

Even if you hadn't known that the Premiere was also known as the Series 4, using this very forum's built-in search feature and simply searching for "tivo premiere hacking" would have yield you the thread I linked you to as the very top result. You could have also searched for "hacking the premiere" or even just "hacking premiere" since the search feature drops words that are three letters or less. The same result would have shown up.

Search difficulties aside, don't let this issue turn you off to TiVo hacking immediately. Just know that it's an involved process that requires work to understand. If you're looking for an easy hack with minimal upkeep, then TiVo hacking probably isn't the best choice.

Good luck no matter what your choice is.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

That was slicker than anything. How the heck did you do that?