Thread: PROM Mod Success, but can't mount 1.5TB drive

PROM Mod Success, but can't mount 1.5TB drive

I've had my S3 running for a while with a 1.5TB setup as a 1.2TB. I just did the prom mod and the unit still boots and runs just fine. The problem is I was not able to mount the S3 disk under Linux such that I could put the new tools onto the disk.

I have it attached via an Antec USB->Sata box (has esata too, but I didn't try that). Linux saw the disk as /dev/sdc which is correct. Bootpage -b /dev/sdc returned with a 3 which sounds reasonable. However, I cannot see any of the /dev/sdc partitions; i.e. there are no /dev/sdcX and cfdisk/fdisk don't see any partitions either. I tried this under my regular linux workstation as well as the mfslive CD. Any tips? Does it have something to do with my drive?

Did you use the newest mfslive CD?

Your normal linux box won't see the partitions unless you compile a new kernel with Apple Partition Map support modified with the TiVo patches.

You could also find tivopart and use it without modifying the kernel.

Yes, I downloaded a new MFSlive CD image which I used to boot my desktop PC. It had the same result. Basically, when I plug in the drive, I could see /dev/sdc but there were no partitions. Perhaps it cannot be hot-plugged and must be connected directly to a Sata/Esata port rather than via USB? I'll take a look at tivopart -- will it allow me to get the replacement/patched initrd and telnet/ftp on there so that I can upload the tools?

Quote Originally Posted by crust View Post
    Yes, I downloaded a new MFSlive CD image which I used to boot my desktop PC. It had the same result. Basically, when I plug in the drive, I could see /dev/sdc but there were no partitions. Perhaps it cannot be hot-plugged and must be connected directly to a Sata/Esata port rather than via USB? I'll take a look at tivopart -- will it allow me to get the replacement/patched initrd and telnet/ftp on there so that I can upload the tools?
    Get tivopart and use the tivopart r /dev/sdX option to "revalidate" the kernel partition table.

Ok, I managed to get it to work in my Antec case connected via esata to my lappy. Don't know why it wouldnt go with USB, but I didn't try it again. At this point I got all the code on the drive and the tivo is running with it. I used several threads here to make it through all the steps ....

the last thing is that I cannot get the mfs_ftp completely working. I did patch all the files and fix the timezone for US/Central. When I connect to it, it does run correctly and list the files on my ftp client. However when I try to do a get the client just says the connection was closed. Not sure why. I do have tivoftpd running as well but since they are different ports I thought that was fine. The only reason I mention it is that both FTPs use a control and a data port and maybe the data ports conflict?

Any ideas?

Ok, mfs_ftp is failing with the following message. I have patched and so forth (transferring in binary) following the instructions at dvrpedia. I've done the procedure now 3x, but get the same result every time -- I do have debug set to 5, but it did not seem to spew any additional info. Root is current rw.

bash-2.02# ./mfs_ftp.tcl
    04:28:43:AM - info(background) is "" so...
    04:28:43:AM - entering background
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# syntax error in expression "((0x - 4) / 256) + 1": looking for close parenthesis
    while executing
    "expr ((0x$charb - 4) / 256) + 1 "
    (procedure "mfs_stream_size" line 8)
    invoked from within
    "mfs_stream_size $part"
    ("foreach" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "foreach part $info($fsid,parts) {
    if { [catch { mfs streamsize $part } p_s ] } { set psize [mfs_stream_size $part] } else { set psize [expr [lindex..."
    ("uplevel" body line 9)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set rec [db $db openid $fsid]
    foreach item "State Showing Part" { set info($fsid,$item) [ntrim [dbobj $rec get $item]] }
    fore..."
    (procedure "rec_info_from_db" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "rec_info_from_db $fsid"
    (procedure "update_rec_fsids" line 17)
    invoked from within
    "update_rec_fsids 1"
    (procedure "init_procs" line 11)
    invoked from within
    "init_procs"