Thread: Series 3, hard drive size limitations.

Series 3, hard drive size limitations.

I'm considering a Tivo for OTA HD. I'm leaning toward a Series3/HD, since I know I can get into it with a prom replacement, rather than a premiere. I have searched, and come up with much conflicting information about what is the maximum size hard drive one can upgrade to, or if it makes a difference if you start with a series3, or a HD/HDXL.

What is the largest hard drive (or combination of internal + external hard drives) that I would be able to use with this?
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

With a stock kernel, you're limited to the starting size of the drive plus an expansion of up to 1TiB (reference here: link). Thus (my math might be slightly off)

Series 3: 250GB + 1TiB = ~1.3GB
    TivoHD: 160GB + 1TiB ~1.2GB
    TivoHD XL: 1TB + 1TiB = ~2.1TB

There are ways to go larger than this, but you'll hit different limits: the size of partition the kernel can handle (1TiB), the maximum number of partitions (15), and the maximum partition size that the apple partition map can handle (2TiB). The first two have workarounds, but I believe the third cannot be overcome.

Here are the method I recall off the top of my head.

1) this method is unique in that it requires no hacking, the "Mr. Broflovski" image (I believe that was the TCF posters name) was developed for a TivoHD (non-XL), and has a default size of 1TB, to which one can then expand up to one TiB more (and thus fill a 2TB drive). See this thread here (link) as the last post contains a link to TCF for more info.

2) with an unhacked unit (and some elbow grease every time you take an upgrade) or for a hacked unit, you can add extra device nodes (reference thread here: link though I thought there was discussion on mfslive.org about this, but can't find a link now). This can allow expansion up to 2TiB, which I believe is the maximum that the apple partition map can handle?

3) with a hacked unit, you can use a custom kernel patched to allow use of partitions larger than 1 TiB (such as the one's Jamie posted here: link). This would net you an expansion of 2TiB instead of 1.
    Last edited by tivo4mevo; 01-09-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added links

Thanks for explaining that. I'm familiar with the partition number limit. That's unchanged from the Series2 DTivos I'm familiar with.

Regarding "2)" "2TiB being the max tivoapp can handle", is that total, or per drive? I.e. if I ended up with a working config with a 2TB internal drive, could I later add another 2TB again via eSATA, or would that be at the limit of present software?
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

I was mistaken about 2), it wasn't a limitation of tivoapp, but of the Apple Partition Map (APM). From its wikipedia page:
    Because APM allows 32 bits worth of logical blocks, the size of an APM formated disk is limited to 2 TiB
    So that's a per disk limitation. I believe that MFSlive (and potentially the mfs_tools) supported adding an external drive, to reach a combined maximum of 4TiB (two disks).

tivo4mevo,

#3. I have a hacked unit (series 3, running Jamie's kernel "Gen05-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2". I have a 1.5TB hard-drive, but the last partition is only showing 1.2ish TB. Can you send me in the right direction of how to expand that drive?

Thank you.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

Can someone please post the MD5 of the Broflovski TivoHD image so I know the file is correct? Is it 96adf05041ceeffd70e72a430c9cba42 ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crashHD View Post
    I'm considering a Tivo for OTA HD. I'm leaning toward a Series3/HD
    Have you considered the HR10-250?

Lots easier to hack, lots of them around basically free from people throwing them away. No service requirement for full OTA dvr capability if you can find that hack (fully justifiable as salvage value for an abandoned product IMO). No prom modification needed.

Negatives: the OTA tuners are relatively weak for marginal OTA signal strength/reflections. You need a basic DirecTV dish to pick up the ongoing program data. The power supplies share the same capacitor vulnerabilities as the Series3/HDs, making required repair (capacitor replacement) likely within the receiver lifetime. DirecTV could shut off the legacy OTA dvr capability at any time.