Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSA: TiVo HD's Hit By Capacitor Plague!

I would replace all except the 470F, 200V. Capxon does adequately for those.

Bulging is NOT a reliable indicator, especially for the smaller caps. There isn't sufficient area on the top. Even those in the 470 - 2200 F range frequently go bad without visible signs.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks Bill. I went through the entire order process for Element14. Took me forever but the total was $4.33 for the parts and I had my card information in.
    However, I could not get the shipping price or even an estimate. Element14.JPG
    I had visions of paying more for the shipping that the value of the parts....

I was frustrated, then I saw your comments and switched to DigiKey. Process was very quick, kinda like searching on craigslist....snappy! Sticking with one brand made it a breeze. I chose Nichicon. Sounds Japanese. It was a few extra bucks for the parts at DigiKey but at least I know my shipping ~$2.30. DigiKey.JPG

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to the little project.
    Dave
    So, right at $10 shipped like you said.

How did yoy make out?
    One of my TiVoHDs is acting up.

Did any one else manage a free PS from cali?

FYI, the S3 is not immune, and the bulging can be very subtle.
    My S3 had 5 caps, all just barely bulging and had started losing cable channels but was working from antenna until one day it just wouldn't boot anymore.
    Having a bit more money than time I sprung for a new supply from weaknees and it's running again. Now to ship back the old supply to get my $50 deposit back. (I guess there aren't many S3 supplies lying around to get reman'ed so they want your old one.)

I measured all the voltages at the mainboard connection with a simple VOM and couldn't detect anything amiss so I'm guessing it was just leaking some high frequency noise that one would only detect with an o-scope.

Quote Originally Posted by T_RJ View Post
    How did yoy make out?
    One of my TiVoHDs is acting up.

Did any one else manage a free PS from cali?
    T_RJ
    I almost got the free power supply from California...in fact they agreed to send it as long as a TiVo supervisor approved. Something about their contract with TiVo. At first, the supervisor was OK with it, then a few minutes later he called me back and said they would just replace my TiVo, no charge. I couldn't speak for a minute because I just didn't see that coming. So to make a long story short, I've never recapped an HD ps. Still have the parts and maybe someday. I've done three series 2's successfully so I wasn't worried but I couldn't pass up a free exchange.
    Last edited by Dave20042004; 04-12-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo

35 IS using 100F16V instead of 1000F16V OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave20042004 View Post
    Thanks Bill. I plan to recap as you suggest. I only have 3 that are less than 100F.
    But the others are mostly CapXon which you suggest have bad reps.
    You don't mention OST's but a quick internet search was not kind to them either.

1. small electrolytic cap - typically 22 -100 F, 50 volts: Yup I see it but no bulge. Is the bulge not a good guide?
    2. solder bridge introduced: visually looks OK, I wonder if this Fluke T5-1000 can tell me. When on resistance mode, the display quickly increases until OL. Sounds right for a capacitor building a charge, no?
    3. capacitor installed backwards: I was very careful to line up the arrows with the greyed area as the others were mounted.

So would you replace all of them shy of the 470F 200V?

Clockwise from the Jumbo Cap:Attachment 7375
    470uF 200V CapXon KF
    2200F 10V OST RLS Attachment 7376
    2200F 10V OST RLS
    100F 16V OST RLS
    2200F 10V OST RLS
    470F 15V CapXon KF Attachment 7377
    1000F 10V CapXon KF
    1000F 10V CapXon KF I already replaced one of these with a 16V as I said earlier.
    2200F 10V OST RLS
    2200F 10V OST RLS
    2.2F 50V CapXon KF Attachment 7378
    10F 25V CapXon KF
    47F 50V CapXon KF Attachment 7379 I scratched this last one with my finger nail, but I think it's a 47
    I went and purchased the above list from digikey. When I got around to actually replacing the capacitors I found that the fourth item in the list didn't match the one on the board. The unfortunate part was I actually double checked my board against the above list and all of the others match, but numbers on the cap in question was covered over with adhesive, so I couldn't read it. Is it ok to use the 100F 16V, in place of the 1000F 16V? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mthobson View Post
    I went and purchased the above list from digikey. When I got around to actually replacing the capacitors I found that the fourth item in the list didn't match the one on the board. The unfortunate part was I actually double checked my board against the above list and all of the others match, but numbers on the cap in question was covered over with adhesive, so I couldn't read it. Is it ok to use the 100F 16V, in place of the 1000F 16V? Thanks.
    NO!

The 100 uF is 1/10 the value of the 1000 uF you'd be replacing. DO NOT PERFORM THAT SWAP.