Thread: HR10-250 v 6.4a-01-2-357 disable encryption?

HR10-250 v 6.4a-01-2-357 disable encryption?

I've been reading threads and searching, but I'm still rather confused about the simplest way to disable encryption on my machine - everything else is working - telnet, TivoWeb, etc.

I tried running TySuiteJ and got the error message 'is encryption disabled?' so I'm willing to believe I never disabled it when I installed the PTVUpgrade software on my last rebuild. I would have thought that would be done automatically.

In any event, is there a simple way to:
    a) tell if it is disabled and my error is from some other source (user)
    b) disable encryption over telnet/etc.?

Thanks.

Andrew

some info I have found

OK, here is what I found on dvrpedia.com. Can anyone confirm that the codes are correct for the disable encryption?

Additionally, HOW CAN I APPLY THIS WITHOUT PULLING THE DRIVE (ie over my network)? The directions are for a pulled drive.

Thanks in advance.

Disable encryption:

echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=1598904
    30sec skip:

echo -ne "\x10\x40\x00\x2b" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6883312
    Backdoors

echo -ne "\x24\x10\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=2806144
    HMO/HME

echo -ne "\x34\x11\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=906328
    echo -ne "\x24\x10\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=1119964
    echo -ne "\x10\x00\x00\x14" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=5874104
    removes *TiVo Plus features (trial ends today)

echo -ne "\x24\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=920520
    Note: This script should only be run on software version 6.4a.

Well, it looks like I'll be pulling the drive anyway.

copied the tivoapp to tivoapp.backup
    echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.backup bs=1 seek=1598904

copied tivapp to tivoapp.original
    renamed tivoapp.backup to tivoapp

rebooted

now stuck at the PTVUpgrade screen of 'Almost There ... just a few more minutes".

Oh, well. Now to remember how to boot up the linux disk and edit files there.

Andrew

If you applied the echo/dd commands to your tivoapp.backup, you probably have two broken versions of tivoapp right now. Did you only run that one echo command on tivoapp.backup? If so, it can probably be undone by finding the 6.4a patches and replacing the original value at that location.

BTW, only new recordings will be unencrypted once you turn off encryption (NoCSO patch). Existing recordings will be encrypted - unless you jump through hoops to decrypt them.

OK, I'm trying to mount the Tivo drive on a linux machine with little success. I'm downloading the latest Knoppix disk which will hopefully help.

can you point me to correct directions/instructions for decrypting?

a) why would that command kill my tivoapp? If the echo is wrong, what is the correct one?

b) where can I track down the patches? I have the instantcake disk which likely has the tivoapp file (somewhere), but that's of little use to me without a little more hand holding.

c) I'm hopeful that my tivo.original file is ok and that if I mount my disk I can copy it back.

d) any idea which partition the tivoapp is located?

question a) is the most important - if I get my machine running again, I don't want to f* it up again.

Thanks

BTW can you point me to the hoops I need to jump through to descramble currently scrambled shows?

You should really read the thread "6.4a has arrived" all the way through. This post has a link to a customized superpatch, for example.
    Also, you're probably best off using the MFSLive iso to access your drive. Once you mount the Tivo drive use bootpage to find out which partition is active. It'll either be 4 or 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NYC View Post
    OK, I'm trying to mount the Tivo drive on a linux machine with little success. I'm downloading the latest Knoppix disk which will hopefully help.

can you point me to correct directions/instructions for decrypting?

a) why would that command kill my tivoapp? If the echo is wrong, what is the correct one?

b) where can I track down the patches? I have the instantcake disk which likely has the tivoapp file (somewhere), but that's of little use to me without a little more hand holding.

c) I'm hopeful that my tivo.original file is ok and that if I mount my disk I can copy it back.

d) any idea which partition the tivoapp is located?

question a) is the most important - if I get my machine running again, I don't want to f* it up again.

Thanks

BTW can you point me to the hoops I need to jump through to descramble currently scrambled shows?
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

OK,

I finally got a disk to recognize the Tivo drive; I:

a) used the original InstantCake HD disk
    b) removed my RAID card
    c) used the SATA to IDE adapter

mounted the Tivo disk and copied the copy (tivoapp.original) over tivoapp

Reconnected everything and successfully booted.

Now I guess I need to wade through all the details which I couldn't wade through correctly before.

Is there a way to extract encrypted ty files (or whatever) and decrypt them on my PC, or do I need to jump through hoops on the Tivo itself and then pull them (ie not a simple task)?

Thanks for all the help guys - although I still don't know what I did wrong to begin with.

Andrew

Hi Andy,

I misread your post earlier - I see you have your original tivoapp still available.

You'll either need a Linux boot CD that's capable of reading tivo partitions (MFSLive CD is probably the best bet) or you'll need to run tivopart on a normal linux box before you can access the drive.

If you use the MFSLive CD, it'll already have bootpage, so you can figure out what partition your tivoapp is on:

bootpage -p /dev/sda (replace sda with your HD's name)

that'll give you a line with "root=/dev/hdaX" where X is the partition the TiVo boots from.

Then you'd do:

mount /dev/sdaX /tivo (replacing sda, X and /tivo with your own situation)

cd /tivo/tvbin
    mv tivoapp tivoapp.bad
    mv tivoapp.original tivoapp

unmount everything, shutdown, and put it back in the TiVo and hope it boots.

As for decrypting existing recordings - that's a very involved process for newbies that would seemingly require a great deal of hand-holding. You can start reading about it here and decide if it's worth your time or not:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207

Basically you'd have to monte into the s2_unscramble kernel from a 2.4.4 kernel, unscramble the existing recordings, and then remove the monte/restore the original killhdinitrd'd kernel.

Finding the active partition was actually the easiest part. I guessed correctly the first time and found my backup copy (which let me know I was in the right place).

So, here's the big question:

I've been reading the thread (thanks for the link); assuming I finish, I will likely still be confused, but that's my nature.

If I telnet into my tivo and in pico/nano create a file and paste in the customized superpatch and give it a name "fixer" and then
    chmod +777 fixer

and then execute it

will that decrypt all my future recordings? Or is there something more to it than that?

BTW, I understand the encryption, but what is the CSO?

Thanks for the guidance.

Andrew

OK, so I'm talking to myself.

Presently the HR10 will allow me to record things I select from the internet (I like this feature).

Can I modify the patch script (assuming the info above is right) to only do encryption, 30 second skip and backdoors? THis would involve knocking out the last 4 items of the defined array. The loop which reads the array seems to be a for each, so the count would not be important.

Alternatively, is anything lost just leaving it in place - recognizing that internet scheduling already works.

Thanks again.

Andrew

The script I linked does the following:
    # First Patch, Disable Encryption
    # Second Patch, 30 sec skip (SPS30S)
    Hopefully those two are self-evident.

# Third Patch, Backdoors
    Enables a kind of debugging mode for certain screens. No harm leaving that in

# The next three are for HMO/HME
    HMO allows transfers (to other 6.x directivos). HME lets you access outside applications such as those listed here. Not sure which of these are compatible with the hr10, it's been a while...

# The next one removes "Tivo Plus Features (trial ends today)"
    An annoying menu option

There's no reason to remove any of these patches. Not sure why you're worried about losing functions, unless you've confused one of these with the "nopauseads" patch which kills (I think) Netflix and Amazon on Series 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NYC View Post
    OK, so I'm talking to myself.

Presently the HR10 will allow me to record things I select from the internet (I like this feature).

Can I modify the patch script (assuming the info above is right) to only do encryption, 30 second skip and backdoors? THis would involve knocking out the last 4 items of the defined array. The loop which reads the array seems to be a for each, so the count would not be important.

Alternatively, is anything lost just leaving it in place - recognizing that internet scheduling already works.

Thanks again.

Andrew
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

OK, clearly I have the stupids.

Cut and paste script via vi and saved as patchtivo.tcl
    chmod 777 patchtivo.tcl
    type patchtivo.tcl and hit return

here's what I get

/ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: array: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: 0x005865B8: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: 0x00A907F0: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: 0x006AD180: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: 0x004DD458: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: 0x005116DC: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: 0x0099A1B8: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: 0x004E0BC8: command not found
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: line 55: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
    /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl: line 55: ` }'
    bash-2.02#

clearly I'm doing something wrong and likely bashed my tivo again.

Gahh! Help. How do I make this work?

Andrew

OK, I deleted my old tivoapp.backup file and reran the script from the /tvbin directory:

tivosh /ptvupgrade/bin/patchtivo.tcl

all ran correctly now that I made space for the new backup.

taped a kids show and it pulled off correctly with TySuiteJ.

Woo hoo for the home team.

Now, hopefully, I've left enough bread crumbs for the next guy (assuming there's still anyone using an HR10-250).

Thanks for the assistance, guys.

Andrew

TYSuiteJ is running flawlessly.

Interestingly, after patching, when I look at a show's info (to see the first air date/check if it is a repeat) a wealth of new information/data is presented.

I'm not sure how much of it will ever be relevant to me, but there's a lot of new info.

Andrew