Thread: Copy "right" question.

Angry Copy "right" question.

I've had the Tivo for three years, it was acting like the HD was dying so I just opted to buy the Premiere. One of the selling points was that I was able to transfer the tv programs to the new TiVo. I might also mention that I have the external drive, so I can't just take that box and put it onto the new TiVo.

Anyway I hook it all up, old one in the back room connected directly to the wireless router, the new one humming quietly in the front. I do see that I can transfer the files, but.....a whole lotta red circles. I actually did the math, 69.3% of them are copyrighted. I talk to TiVo, they say that it's the provider, I call the provider, they say it's the broadcasters. I'm reading the blogs and I see that my carrier has lots of complaints about this, that they flip that bit by default even on programs that don't have the copyright.

I'm in IT, I take files from dying HDs all the time, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've never had a system where they lock the files down so much that it's meant to be lost. All I want to do is transfer the files from box to box, and they're making sound as though I'm a criminal for it.

So I see the books and pdf files and all that, sure I can crack the case open and do all sorts of funky stuff. The question I really have is that little ol' external drive, what happens to that? How can I grab the files from that, I don't think it's a USB, I'm guessing that's firewire, not sure.

Well if anyone has suggestions on what I can do on this I would appreciate it.

The external drive connects with eSATA. You can't do anything with the drive by itself, as the contents are encrypted. From what I read, there is not a known way to remove the encryption from programs recorded on a TiVo HD/Series 3. What I don't know is if there's a way to remove the CCI flag from the recordings. You might start reading in the Extraction section of the forum.

And yes, the "content providers" do think you're a criminal if you do anything other than watch the program when it is broadcast. They have been forced to be a bit looser about that, but they're going to make life as difficult for you as they can get away with.
    Steve

Any specific thread title you have in mind? There's about six years of posts to go through.

You can start here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...t=60103&page=3

The last post has a basic "game plan" to getting it working. The old TiVo will need to be hacked though.

Some more reading:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ght=remove+CCI