Thread: tcd24004a keeps rebooting

tcd24004a keeps rebooting

my hard drive failed so i copyed drive with winmfs to a 80 gig now it stars booting at the powering up screen than it goes to the tivo screen after a wile screen goes scrambeled than it starts all over agine is there any way to get a good disk image

Quote Originally Posted by bryan8228 View Post
    my hard drive failed so i copyed drive with winmfs to a 80 gig now it stars booting at the powering up screen than it goes to the tivo screen after a wile screen goes scrambeled than it starts all over agine is there any way to get a good disk image
    Try the Image Begging Thread; also not sure if these links still work but here are two for your specific model; link #1, link #2.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

is this right for restore

mount -t vfat /dev/hdc/dos
    then restore -s 128 -xzpi/dos/minimal-7.2.2-oth.01-2-140.mfs /dev/hdb

You're missing a few spaces.. otherwise, it's correct if your drives are hdc (PC) and hdb (TiVo).

mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /dos
    restore -s 128 -xzpi /dos/minimal-7.2.2-oth.01-2-140.mfs /dev/hdb

Quote Originally Posted by bryan8228 View Post
    mount -t vfat /dev/hdc/dos
    then restore -s 128 -xzpi/dos/minimal-7.2.2-oth.01-2-140.mfs /dev/hdb
    Shouldn't that be hdc1? Assuming only one partition on the drive connected as secondary master, and assuming that you are using the motherboard's IDE connectors and IDE/PATA drives or SATA drives with the necessary adapters.

If you're using SATA drives attached to SATA ports, then it would be /dev/sd"whichever"

You aren't trying to use the "/dos" directory as a mount point for the drive itself, you're trying to use it as a mount point for the partition on the drive, as the partion is the top-level,or 'root', directory in which the file is found.

The "-t vfat" option/switch/argument for the mount command tells it that what you want to mount uses file system type (that's the 't') vfat (virtual file allocation table), which I assume is FAT16 or FAT32 in your case.

Having told it what, you then tell it where to find it. It's not enough to tell it which drive, you have to tell it which partition on that drive, even if it's the only partition on that drive.

As for the restore command, you don't specify which partition on hdb because you aren't trying to write to a partition on it, you're trying to write partitions on it, i.e., create partitions on the raw drive.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.