Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hughes 25extreme setup question.

33 New Hughes 25extreme setup question.

I have read through alot of messages only to find 1000 ways to do the same thing. Here is my question.

I have a new Hughes DTiVo. I just bought it last night.

I had a sub'd card I had transferred to the new system and had it activated, (no phone line). I have a 40gb HD all ready to go.

By Running the Software Surgeon's DirecTivo v2.5Xtreme boot cd and installing the drive in to the DTiVo, do I have to do anything else other than that?(I don't want the Tivo mag s**t, just the guide and the ability to record and pause etc..). I will be storing my orig. drive on a shelf for backup.

Thx for all the good reading material on the subject...

Roosta

If you don't want to connect phone line, you'll need to activate fixup. Search the forum for the keyword "touch" to see how to do this.

What will it do when I connect the phone line to a 25extreme'd drive?

Obviously, if I don't do the fixup script it will want to dial out....
    but do I really want it to at that point???

No you don't

If you connect a phone line it can report anything that you have done to the unit. I am not sure exactly what info is sent, but why risk it. You get all of the benefits of the service aside from tivolution and the mag. So there really is no need to let it dial in. Nothing good can come of it. I am not certain if anything bad could happen, but why risk it. Good Luck.

MyFins1

I was just reading up on your attempt and posts with Carloscc
    and might I say ...WHEW!

I understand I need to do the following(please correct me If I am wrong):
    (summary)
    1. Run 25extreme on HD connected to pc (I can handle that)
    (do I copy the fixup02c.tcl, now or during bash)
    2. after complete, Install HD into DTiVo
    3. (get/make serial)
    4. user hyperterm or tera term to get bash
    5. execute fixup in bash
    6. restart DTiVo...etc..etc..etc...

Now I hear of forcing a call, but if my phone line isn't connected, where is it calling to??

The only thing that might happen if you don't allow a DTV phone home each month is that they might turn off your subbed card's ability to purchase PPV shows and deactivate any special sports packages.

With v2.5Xtreme and fixup activated, I'm not sure the DTiVo phone calls function as normal. At least one person is having problems with this.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&threadid=6403

There is only one simple thing to do to activate fixup. See this thread ===> http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&threadid=5767

Forcing the Daily Call just goes thru the motions, no call is actually made, and changes the account status.
    Last edited by superzap; 12-21-2001 at 04:54 PM.

OK..Thanks alot for the help....

If I do the 25 extreme and the fixup, i should be ok to enjoy the dtv and the tivo functionality (without the moot features)..

After I will have to see if my test crd will work...thx!!!!

Also..is there a reason the fixsub02.tcl file can't be modified before copying it to the a drive?

seems like it would save alot of time....

Just a novice hypothesis...

You don't need to copy anything, it's all there. Read that thread I referred to carefully, just one command from bash is needed.

Thx Superzap...

With alot of reading and a few of the right questions, any newbiw should be able to get this....

Happy Holidays!

Ok, upon some more reading......

I hear people say that the fuxup "pretends" to dial out and succeed even without a phone connection, but then they are paying for the Tivo Service (which I don't object to). But what I don't understand is if they are paying for it, doesn't DTV/Tivo wonder why it's not dialing in every 30 days on an account that's paying???
    Just looking for clarification..

Thx

Don't know what they think. But you're paying and you should be able to do whatever you want with the software in your box.

OK, Hopefully I will get this thing to work tonight....

Any ideas about why my subb'd card keeps saying "Your card has expired. Please insert a new card"
    But then it comes back on after a few minutes and keepes repeating this process...I just hooked it up last night...

ok, I had it working...until i tried the 900 fix..then GRENN SCREEN..

I reapplied the 25 extreme, but now it hangs on the "Welcome, Starting up" screen.. any suggestions?

how did u run the 900 fix

Did you do an exec command or did u edit rc.sysinit? I tested mine first with the the exec ccommand. I have never gotten the dreaded green screen.