Thread: Upgrading to HR24D

Upgrading to HR24D

Hate to see the old Sat T-60 go, but I've decided to get into HD. Bought a HR24D from the web after verifying DirectTv would activate when I called.

I going SWM with a multi-switch 8 that has legacy output for the old Sony. I'll have to run another cable from the roof, but I may hire an installer to do that. That may also cure any problems activating the service.

First question is can I use my existing antenna? It's an RCA 8900 18" x 24" elliptical or do I need to get a Slimline dish. My dish was able to get 101, 110 and 119 at the same time.

My locals are not on 119 so I only need the SL3 LNB. Any reason to get the SL5 besides the extra 20 clams?

I'm going to try using the Happauge HD-PVR until encryption is solved. Their mediaMVP-HD is pretty sweet too. A PVR-HTPC looks like the best way to go at this time. It solves all the problems that I can see. Plus the MVP plays from external USBs (thumbs and powered). No, I do not work for Happauge!

Thanks in advance,
    Bit

You are missing the 99 and 103 slots, so you do need to get a new dish. I don't think there's a reason to get the SL5. The SWM-8 would probably not work correctly with your RCA.
    Steve