Thread: 'nothanks' and 'ignoredrmsig1 & 2'

'nothanks' and 'ignoredrmsig1 & 2'

if I'm interpreting this correctly, 'nothanks' ignores any pending TiVo upgrades, yes?

are 'ignoredrmsig1/2' also required to defer TiVo upgrades?

The way I plan on using my TiVo this Fall, I would prefer not to be suddenly hit with a software upgrade and lose all my patches. I'd like to upgrade at my own pace

The only thing you need to prevent software updates from being installed is "upgradesoftware=false" in your bootpage. With this variable set software updates are still downloaded when available and your box will still reboot every night around 2am in order to install it but the actual installation will be skipped every time.

The "nothanks" patch prevents the 2am reboot, but without the "upgradesoftware=false" an accidental reboot will cause the software to install. So you need both if you want to disable the upgrade and the 2am reboots. Keep in mind though that if you wait too long to install a waiting upgrade your decryption keys will eventually become invalid and you'll stop getting guide updates.

The "ignoredrmsig" patches are not related to software upgrades. They cause the Tivo to ignore the signature on certain objects in MFS allowing you to selectively delete DRM objects without invalidating the recording.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    The only thing you need to prevent software updates from being installed is "upgradesoftware=false" in your bootpage. With this variable set software updates are still downloaded when available and your box will still reboot every night around 2am in order to install it but the actual installation will be skipped every time.

The "nothanks" patch prevents the 2am reboot, but without the "upgradesoftware=false" an accidental reboot will cause the software to install. So you need both if you want to disable the upgrade and the 2am reboots. Keep in mind though that if you wait too long to install a waiting upgrade your decryption keys will eventually become invalid and you'll stop getting guide updates.
    So IOW, both are required in order to provide a seamless, interruption-free upgrade path.

The "ignoredrmsig" patches are not related to software upgrades. They cause the Tivo to ignore the signature on certain objects in MFS allowing you to selectively delete DRM objects without invalidating the recording.
    I am unfamiliar with these. They sound intriguing. Where can I find more details?
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

-psxboy

got it, thank you for the response. My fear is that TiVo would send out the upgrade sometime during the week and the new patches wouldn't be out in time before the Saturday/Sunday football games this Fall (Although looking at the 11.0K thread, you guys are pretty quick on the gun). I'm glad to know with this I can give the TiVo a bit of breathing room before I'm required to upgrade.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    I am unfamiliar with these. They sound intriguing. Where can I find more details?
    This post explains the concept that the patches in this thread deal with. Those patches have been ported to the current versions & are now labeled "ignoredrmsig".

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

As psxboy points out this has been covered before.

The process to extract CPI/CCI protected recordings using TTG is:
    1. hack your unit,
    2. apply the "ignoredrmsig" patches (patches are specific to each tivo software version, e.g., 11.0j, so find the patches for your version), and
    3. then (transfer and) run the script found here: link on your hacked tivo.
    This process will first patch tivoapp to tolerate videos that have been fiddled with and then (executing the script) fiddle with the videos to mark them as non-copyrighted. After that, you should be able to extract those "pre-hacked" recordings using TTG. Once they're on your PC, there's a final step using tivodecode or something similar.

-psxboy
    I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend - both "nothanks" and "upgradesoftware=false" can be found in the boot page, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend - both "nothanks" and "upgradesoftware=false" can be found in the boot page, correct?
    No. The upgradesoftware environment variable can be set in the boot page or in rc.sysinit. "Nothanks" is a hack, not an environment variable. You have to obtain the values of the patch for your model of TiVo and then patch tivoapp with them.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script