Thread: Tivo Hacking

Tivo Hacking

Hello everyone, I'm rather new at this, so please bear with me.
    I bought a Tivo series 4 thinking that I could freely transfer any movie or program that I record to my computer. Well, the guys at Tivo never mentioned to me that this was not possible! I thought I had done enough research online, but I guess I did not!

Anyways, so I'm trying to make the best of things. I've heard that there is a way to hack into your tivo by modifying the "prom" chip inside of your Tivo, is this correct? or have I just misunderstood the forums that I have been reading? Other than the "prom" modification, is there anyway to get around this issue?

So, to recap on what my question is, will the "prom" modification allow me to transfer all of my recordings from my Tivo to my computer?

Thanks for your time and I apologize if this type of question has already been posted and answered.

Sincerely,

Robert
    Last edited by habibrobert; 07-30-2011 at 04:33 AM.

There's currently no way to hack the Premiere (Series 4) TiVos.

For the previous model TiVos (5xx throug 6xx) models, the PROM mod is just part of a scheme to break the "chain of trust" the OS needed to securely boot itself. With that "chain of trust" broken, you could modify the OS and application files as you see fit, including disabling encryption and copy protection.

As said though, no such hack exists for the Series 4 units (7xx).

The restrictions on copying certain programs/movies to your computer is placed there by your cable provider. Do you have another option for cable? Some companies set more copy protection flags than others. Verizon FiOS, for example, has barely any channels flagged as copy protected.

Quote Originally Posted by habibrobert View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm rather new at this, so please bear with me.
    I bought a Tivo series 4 thinking that I could freely transfer any movie or program that I record to my computer. Well, the guys at Tivo never mentioned to me that this was not possible! I thought I had done enough research online, but I guess I did not!

Anyways, so I'm trying to make the best of things. I've heard that there is a way to hack into your tivo by modifying the "prom" chip inside of your Tivo, is this correct? or have I just misunderstood the forums that I have been reading? Other than the "prom" modification, is there anyway to get around this issue?

So, to recap on what my question is, will the "prom" modification allow me to transfer all of my recordings from my Tivo to my computer?

Thanks for your time and I apologize if this type of question has already been posted and answered.

Sincerely,

Robert
    Have you already installed TiVo Desktop on your computer?
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Yes I have installed tivo desktop on my computer. Almost none of my programs can be tranferred. There has gotta be some way around this besides connecting the tivo to a dvd recorder. Do you think that a hack will become available eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by habibrobert View Post
    Yes I have installed tivo desktop on my computer. Almost none of my programs can be tranferred. There has gotta be some way around this besides connecting the tivo to a dvd recorder. Do you think that a hack will become available eventually?
    That is a question I'm not particularly qualified to answer and I will leave it to others here who are more knowledgeable than I on what would be involved, but I will venture the opinion that it likely won't be soon.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

FWIW, there is currently no publicly known hack available for the S4 that would allow you do remove the copy protection flags from your recordings.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    FWIW, there is currently no publicly known hack available for the S4 that would allow you do remove the copy protection flags from your recordings.
    Same question here..... any news on how to transfer to pc the S4 protected videos ?
    How about recording on external hard disk and then connect the hard disk to pc to reverse the protected videos to pc ?

thank u

anyone ? no solutions ? how about old tivos versions ?

Should hacks be publicly released (if any are even out there) for the Series 4 Tivos:

PROM Modification is required to enable telnet/ftp access to newer TiVos (some Series 2 and all Series 3 afaik)
    http://www.dvrpedia.com/PROM_Modification
    It requires surface mount soldering with a hot air rework station, not for the faint of heart.

The easy to hack Series 2 stuff is standard definition only afaik so for HD go with Series 3.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...t-index-thread

Also read
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ewbie-mini-FAQ

Read those three then use the search function. Most questions of this nature are ignored here as they are asked over and over.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/search.php
    Last edited by Packrat888; 12-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.

None of those are for the S4. If the user bought an S4, they are hosed. Their best bet at this point is to sell the S4 and buy an S3.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

To start, simply launch the TiVo Desktop software on your PC. You should see a button labeled “Pick Recordings to Transfer”. Here you willl see one of two lists; one that shows “Now Playing” (the shows that are already transferred to your PC) and the “My Shows” list that shows recorded programming on your TiVo. If you have multiple TiVos on your network there will be a dropdown menu where you can select the device you want to transfer shows from.
    The rain falls regardless if you have a coat or none. But one thing always holds true, somewhere, someone’s willing to get soaked with you.

Quote Originally Posted by francescahanson View Post
    To start, simply launch the TiVo Desktop software on your PC. You should see a button labeled “Pick Recordings to Transfer”. Here you willl see one of two lists; one that shows “Now Playing” (the shows that are already transferred to your PC) and the “My Shows” list that shows recorded programming on your TiVo. If you have multiple TiVos on your network there will be a dropdown menu where you can select the device you want to transfer shows from.
    considering the OP posted over a year ago i doubt its even in question any more, however some cable providers flag their content as not being able to be transferred in which case your method won't work for them .