Thread: Tivo HD Hacking(remove copy protection)

Tivo HD Hacking(remove copy protection)

Hi all.

Newbie here, but long time Tivo S2 and Tivo HD owner and drive/drive upgrader.

I understand there may be a "hack" to remove the copy protection flags from shows on channels like HBO, etc., that will allow these shows to be transferred to Tivo Desktop(and the like) on a PC.

Can someone direct me to the threads/tutorials explaining how to accomplish such?

Thanks very much, in advance.

Search the forums for "CCI" and you should find what you're looking for.

It's not for the faint of heart. On Series 3 units, it requires desoldering the PROM, reprogramming it, and then soldering it back (or soldering on a socket). For Series 4 units (Premiere and such), there's no public method to break the chain of trust and gain access to a shell.

Folks on the forum can assist with the PROM modifications on Series 3 units.

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post
    Search the forums for "CCI" and you should find what you're looking for.

It's not for the faint of heart. On Series 3 units, it requires desoldering the PROM, reprogramming it, and then soldering it back (or soldering on a socket). For Series 4 units (Premiere and such), there's no public method to break the chain of trust and gain access to a shell.

Folks on the forum can assist with the PROM modifications on Series 3 units.
    Thanks. Had no idea that is what it entailed, but I guess I should have known. It is called hacking, after all.

Ditto

I, too, am seeking to hack the cci protection on a Tivo. PROM chip change a good first step but nowhere in the database can I find a concise set of steps to make the software mods. Yet, several on these threads claim to have it working. Anybody wanna spell it out? ABC, 123?