Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: tyftpd (mfs_ftp.tcl alternative)

Quote Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
    Is anyone trying to watch live as they are inserting files? I'm curious about how the playbar acts
    Here's the behavior I see (this is inserting into an HR10-250 from an HDVR2 via movieloader):

• The green portion of the progress bar is at a partial point (either how much had been transferred at that point or the end of the latest segment, I'm not sure).
    * The green portion does not advance while I'm watching, even though the file continues to insert.
    • When viewing reaches the end of the green bar the menu screen comes up asking whether to delete or not (as if the movie had come to an end).
    • When you choose not delete, you then get the play screen; resume is not an option.
    • When you choose play it starts from the beginning and you have to FF to viewing point; the green portion has considerably advanced.

• Repeats cycle, until movie has completely transferred; when you hit that cycle the green portion has filled the progress bar and after you FF you are allowed to watch to the end.

It's always been this way, I think, and I've gotten used to it.

Roger summed it up nicely. That was the behavior I observed when testing it out a few weeks ago. I was extracting from an HR10, and reinserting back onto itself. This was not via movieloader, though. Just tivo-->PC-->tivo
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

Thanks Roger for the deatiled response. This matches what I see on my THD.

I just found a bug that might cause a spontaneous reboot and possibly force a mfscheck. This code:
    Code:
            foreach val $meta(Series.$itm) { 
              dbobj $curseries add $itm $val
            }
    Should be:
    Code:
            foreach val $meta(Series.$itm) { 
              dbobj $curseries set $itm $val
            }
    Hopefully nobody experienced this but me. On the upside, tracking this bug down caused me to realize why the tmf+ files were not working as expected...

v1.2 coming back soon?

Nope. 1.3 coming soon...

even better! [waits eagerly]

I have updated the first post with version 1.3. This new version fixes the bug I found and corrects the tmf+ file type processing. Using tmf+ files allows for the play bar to be populated early, fixing the problems associated with playing back while uploading. Keep in mind that the parts are allocated but not initiated to nulls when they are created. This means that forwarding past the upload point will allow previous recorded shows to display. This is expected behavior and avoids the time overhead when creating a part with streamfill. If an upload is stopped, I null out part of the stream to reduce the appearance of the "junk" in the stream. Also, for a tmf+ that aborts, I attempt to remove the remaining parts that were allocated but never uploaded, however this cannot be done if the show is being actively viewed when the upload aborts. In this case, you can expect those parts to have odd playback behaviors.

For those of you using MovieLoader, I have created a patched version that will allow for the new tmf+ file types. Your MovieLoader.properties file should have entires like this for tyftpd using tmf+ files:
    Code:
    FriendlyName=ftp://tivo_ip:5013/tmf+/
    Last edited by jkozee; 07-01-2012 at 02:09 AM.

helper is no longer 32bit/64bit specific? I notice only one mfs_ftp_helper file in the distribution.

edit: Went ahead and tried it. Not a programmer, so I didn't know what "unified" meant when discussing mfs_ftp_helper. Turns out to mean exactly what it sounds like. Works fine so far. Haven't tried setting up Movieloader yet, but it's on the schedule for the day...
    Last edited by crashHD; 07-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Is it necessary to use port 3105 to use movieloader?

I put port 5013 in movieloader.properties for each tivo, and movieloader loaded and cached each tivo, running tyftpd on port 5013.

Attempted transfers fail, using (correctly) port 5013 as the source, but attempting to push (incorrectly) to port 3105.

Does it make a difference if I change tyftpd to use port 3105, or movieloader to push to port 5013 (is the latter even possible)?

You can use the -p 3105 to use port 3105. I don't actually use MovieLoader, but from your description it sounds like it assumes port 3105 for push and I doubt you could correct it there without changing the source code. Just have tyftpd use port 3105 and update movieloader.properties.

That's what I was planning on trying, when I saw this snippet:
    Code:
    # MovieLoader: If you are using this with MovieLoader make sure you are using  #
    #              MovieLoader.v0.17c.zip or later.  Update your config files to:  #
    #              NAME=ftp://ip.address:5013/tmf+/                                #
    #              You can also use the -m or -M flag to limit the directories.    #
    #                                                                              #
    ################################################################################
    and didn't know if that meant movieloader should run on that port.

FWIW, movieloader set up that way does use 5013 for the source, and I was able to push to the ftp server on my PC. movieloader must have 3105 hard coded as the target port for sending to a tivo.

I'm off to set tyftpd to port 3105 and test that out.

what's the best way to shut it down? mfs_ftp always had the possibility to reboot the box if shutdown incorrectly, but I see no "shutdown.txt" to download here

So far everything looks good. I set up all my Tivos with the new tyftpd.tcl, and set up movieloader on the server. First try: Tivo-Tivo; it filled the progress bar with green. No interruptions. When the movie completed it was listed with the appropriate duration. Great. Doesn't change anything from server to Tivo because I store as tmfs for use with other processes (eventual conversion to standard mpegs), but being able to watch shows from any room while they're still resident on the Tivos is what I was looking to do, seamlessly; this is terrific!
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 07-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.

My testing is also working great.

I am having a minor issue. Playback of of a show that has been inserted from another tivo gives the message "This program's channel no longer exists in your lineup, and may have been locked. Please enter your 4 digit password <snip>". The short story is, playback of any transferred show requires the box to be unlocked with the passcode if parental controls have been turned on.

I have small children in the house, but can only supervise *most* of their tv viewing, so I use the parental controls. The tyftpd transferred show still retains its ratings in the NPL, but not the channel ID. My boxes are locked down according to ratings, not according to channels, but apparently it still wants to know the channel if parental controls are activated.

crashHD,

I turned on Kidzone on my THD and I do not see this behavior. It wouldn't be too difficult to add the real station if the station tmsid exists on the target unit, however there is also the NpkChannelDefinition. This contains additional information about the station used for the recording, such as channel major and minor number as well as the local serverid for the station, which means that it cannot be imported as is, it has to be reconstructed. This is a little more complicated and I chose to skip it. Does the NpkChannelDefinition exist in your recordings?

At this point I am not inclined to implement it, although I said the same thing about tmf+ files... If I get time maybe I will just add the correct station without the NpkChannelDefinition and see if that is enough to satisfy parental controls.