Thread: Sound popping on S3

Sound popping on S3

I have an original S3 TiVo (model 648) and its got a bit of a strange problem. It seems to have trouble converting audio to PCM from Dolby Digital. It mostly works but intermittently pops terribly.

I've heard it from the analog audio out as well as HDMI to my TV (which negotiates 2-channel PCM.) It happens during the startup THX movie, so it isn't the recordings.

This isn't a huge problem, as I've had the box connected to a receiver for its entire life, it is just annoying that I HAVE to have it connected to a receiver. As far as I know it has always had this problem. Unfortunately I didn't discover it until long after the warranty had expired.

I'm guessing either there's a bad chip on it or a bad solder connection. The problem is, I don't have a clue WHICH chip actually does the down conversion to start poking at it. Nor would I know if its even possible to get a replacement chip...

The box has a lifetime sub on it, so I don't want to screw it up too badly but I'm not afraid to poke at it with a soldering iron if I know where to poke.

Ideas?

You could just move the lifetime sub to another 648 box by swapping the hard disks and the crypto chip...
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

I assume the crypto chip isn't socketed...

I could probably call TiVo and have them fix it (read: send me a refurb) for $150 or whatever they're charging these days.

Anyone know of a diagram of the 648 with the chips described? Used to be all sorts of stuff like that on the S1 and S2s.