Thread: Going HD on Dtv

Going HD on Dtv

I currently am running a SIR-S4080R. It's become buggy and I'd like to just upgrade to HD service. Is there a system I can get through Dtv or do I need to eBay something to maintain the same "features" I get on my current system?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypo View Post
    I currently am running a SIR-S4080R. It's become buggy and I'd like to just upgrade to HD service. Is there a system I can get through Dtv or do I need to eBay something to maintain the same "features" I get on my current system?

Thanks!
    Your only option is one of the HR2X (preferably an HR24) HD-DVR family from DirecTV. You may be able to buy them locally through Craigslist, but be very careful. Once a receiver or DVR is activated by one person, DirecTV will not activate it on another account. If you call them with the RID number, they will tell you the status before you buy. What is more, you may be eligible for a $100 discount if you upgrade.

What features do you want? The DirecTV DVR UI is not the same as TiVo's, but it is quite good. The only common feature of a hacked DirecTiVo that you cannot perform is extracting recordings. Caller ID is 'native',as are MRV, networking, alternating between two channels (doubleplay), and streaming video TO your PC or iPad.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I think the option for extraction is probably my most desired benefit.

I hear there is a new tivo that works with Dtv.... might this provide a ray of hope?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypo View Post
    I think the option for extraction is probably my most desired benefit.

I hear there is a new tivo that works with Dtv.... might this provide a ray of hope?
    A feeble hope at best. I'm not current on the status of TiVo hacking, but it is my understanding the latest versions are still unhacked. There is no reason to believe the rumored new DirecTiVo would be hackable.

Understand, that as far as I know the HDMI link can be the key to extraction. The obstacle is the penalties associated with hacking the HDCP protection. That has been accomplished, however products which can accomplish it have been suppressed.

Alternatively, the DirecTV 2 PC software would provide a risky avenue for the ambitious (and foolhardy) hacker.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 07-18-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.